All-Star Spray Tan Or Fake Bake?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Someone on here recommended the "fake bake" brand, they have liquids, lotions, and sprays. I've never tanned before but I tried it out for cheer pics and it looked great. I got the spray and read reviews that had tips on applying, then just went for it. It wasn't orange or streaky and doesn't take long to apply, plus it's easy! I'd never tanned before because I was afraid of getting orange but I didn't end up orange at all!
I'm not going to preach about it but I'm very against tanning beds.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I swear by the "fake bake" spray. It smells amazing and it doesn't look orange. Its literally a brown color and you get color almost instantly! It hasn't stained my clothes from when I've used it and it's honestly the best tanning spray I've used... and I've probably tried every self tanner. I usually spray it on the night before a game and if I don't think I look dark enough I go over it in the morning. They make a tanner for your face, but I'm cheap so I just spray it on a makeup sponge and it does just as well. Overall it's even and it has a color guide, and it lasts a pretty long time as long as you re-apply. The first time I used it I applied it every night for 3 days and then I stopped and the color lasted a week. I love it and I can't see myself using any other self tanning product... especially since it doesn't turn me and awkward orangey or yellowy color and I don't look ridiculous. I get complimented all of the time on my tan!
Don't get me wrong, I love the tanning bed but I literally have no time to go lay, and its so expensive now.

When do you shower then? Trying to plan the timing out right for cp if we do this.
Apply Thursday eve, shower Friday am. Touch up Friday morning after shower. Shower Friday night before Saturday a.m. Comp. I have not found that the spray tan stains sheets or PJs as long as she is really dry before bed. Give it at least 30 min. to an hour?

Another vote for spray tanning. I'm not a tanner and I've already have cancerous spots removed. It is not worth being darker. And your skin will thank you when you're older like me (mid thirties)

If you're going to spray tan and want to get something that lasts awhile I recommend going to a California Sun Tanning Salon if they have one in your area or any tanning salon with a verspa spa.

A verspa spa is a machine that tans you, it is more accurate than a person doing it. I have done it before competitions and before dances too. You basically go in and it will ask you to stand in various positions facing front and back. Also after each time it sprays you it sprays moisturizer and than hot air to dry your body off and keep from dripping.

The tan is all natural ingredients and doesn't make you look orange!

Here is a link to their website so you can call and see if they have one near you.
The Sunless Spray Tan Booth Experience by VersaSpa

ETA: Its called versa spa not verspa oops

Last edited:
I'm considering investing in an airbrush machine for our program in the near future. I feel that its an item that will pay for itself in the long run!

I personally tan year round because of issues with SAD and vitamin D deficiency thanks to Canadian winters and not being able to really go outside. But I would say I'm there twice a week max. Right now I'm doing about 4x a week simply because I'm going to Mexico in 3 weeks and don't want to fry when I get there!

Most of the girls on my team spray before competitions.

Versa spa sounds awesome. If only I could afford to get it done before any game where I have to were my white uniform :/

I'm considering investing in an airbrush machine for our program in the near future. I feel that its an item that will pay for itself in the long run!

I personally tan year round because of issues with SAD and vitamin D deficiency thanks to Canadian winters and not being able to really go outside. But I would say I'm there twice a week max. Right now I'm doing about 4x a week simply because I'm going to Mexico in 3 weeks and don't want to fry when I get there!

Most of the girls on my team spray before competitions.

One of our moms just did this and took a "spray tan cert" class that teaches her all the different ways to do the strokes to get even perfect coverage plus ways to contour. I'm curious to see how well it ends up working out for her because it has the potential to be a big money maker! Salons charge at least $40 for a airbrush in Seattle so even if she was charging half that it would add up quickly.

I think I'm in the minority but I was NOT happy at all with my versa spa experience. I went the night before NYE because I was worried about looking pasty in a cocktail dress... I ended up wishing I had just stuck with that. I was orange and had some splotchy areas.

I think I'm in the minority but I was NOT happy at all with my versa spa experience. I went the night before NYE because I was worried about looking pasty in a cocktail dress... I ended up wishing I had just stuck with that. I was orange and had some splotchy areas.
personally, versa for me is either a hit or miss. Sometimes it looks awesome. other times it looks orange and splotchy and after I shower im this ugly yellow color... idk. I've never really "loved" it, but before prom or when I used to compete, or if they just had a deal I would get it but it never looked the same. I even went to the same place and got the same color every time!

I got the spray tan kit at Sally Beauty supply, and we have been very happy with it. It does have a bronzer, which I like, because it helps me apply it evenly. I generally apply Thursday for a Saturday comp. That way I can touch up on Friday any spots I missed. No worries with staining the uniform that way.

I was never a big tanner, but I do have fair skin. Scars from skin cancer removal are large! I had one small cancerous spot removed on my shoulder, and I now have a 3" scar. I'm truly amazed that UV tanning places are still legal.
I have a Sally right near my house so this would be a good one. Living in Canada means I don't have as much access to a lot of the good tanning options. Just curious how much you go through for one competition? I have one coming up so I might do a bit of a test drive before bids and worlds

20sxe6u.jpg

Seriously though don't recommend tanning beds. Spray tans are the way to go!

I have a Sally right near my house so this would be a good one. Living in Canada means I don't have as much access to a lot of the good tanning options. Just curious how much you go through for one competition? I have one coming up so I might do a bit of a test drive before bids and worlds
The can of spray that came with the kit lasted at least 4-5 comps. Maybe more, but it did seem to go pretty far.

That one spray tan kit from Sally's has lasted CP through at least two comps and part of a third

And anyone investing in the spray tan machine. We had one mom that will do it at the gym and when she was 20, I was happy and wanted to give her my business. When she went to 25 and the comps were close together, I decided to try the Sally's thing, and the color worked nice but now that I have found a lady that is 15, that is where I'm taking CP just for the quickness, I don't mind paying 15. Takes me a while to get her done with the Sally thing and I do a lot of dabbing with that sponge, but color is every bit as good as the professional spray tan on CP.

So my advice on the machine, if you want repeat business and a lot of customers, and I don't know how much the solution costs, so that may be a factor, but keep it reasonable. Maybe it's better to do less people at more money. . .

does anybody have any tips about using the sally hansen airbrush legs? i'm using it for my entire body, couldn't book a spray tan in time and i'm already out of town for my comp this weekend so i decided to try it out!

I swear by the "fake bake" spray.
Which product of this brand do you recommend?
I Always get spray tans for special occasions. I'll need to get one soon again for an event, but I wont have much time the week before to go to the place where I get them done. So i was thinking about using a lotion at home. I searched for their product but they have a whole variaty and i dont know which one to pick:s

Back