All-Star Sr. 5......are They Truly Ready?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CAmamakat

Cheer Parent
Feb 4, 2010
Lately I have heard of alot of parents & kids pushing to be on a "worlds team" or to be on sr. 5......whether they are really ready or not. Parents saying, "if Suzy can just get a full he/she can be on a worlds team". The age just keeps getting younger & younger....
What are your thoughts? Do you think parents are going overboard? What happened to getting ALL the skills? earning your stripes? truly being a level 5 cheerleader? having something to work towards or to look forward to?

I agree! I think not just being on a senior team, but being on a level 5 team in general that kids need to not only be physically ready to do all the skills, but be mentally ready too! I really don't think you can stop the parents b/c moms will be moms and dads will be dads, but when you start hearing parents mentioning their kids in plural by saying "we are working on layouts right now" then I think somethings up, and as a kid all I am saying to myself is RELAX!! they have plenty of time to make a level 5 team!

I agree! I think not just being on a senior team, but being on a level 5 team in general that kids need to not only be physically ready to do all the skills, but be mentally ready too! I really don't think you can stop the parents b/c moms will be moms and dads will be dads, but when you start hearing parents mentioning their kids in plural by saying "we are working on layouts right now" then I think somethings up, and as a kid all I am saying to myself is RELAX!! they have plenty of time to make a level 5 team!

i agree! i see some kids stressing because they dont have a full or double full and they are in 5th grade? which they arn't even eligible for a worlds team! they might end up rushing to get a skill and then have wrong technique or gain bad habits. I didn't even know about worlds until i was in 6th or 7th grade.

IMO this is really, really tough on the kids and not to mention it's probably tough on the coaches. First, it's tough on the kids themselves because they are feeling the pressure from their parents to frantically get a skill to be on team x or else they can't cheer or become in trouble. This is difficult on the coaches because they must choose okay do I keep Susie on the team she should be on skillwise or riskfully follow the parents guide in order to keep Susie at the gym and put her on this team x despite her inadequate skill level. I would hope most coaches would follow the first case scenario, but unfortunately I think we all know that isn't the case (I have even witnessed this recently) :( It is a big concern of mine because not only is it a HUGE risk of injury/mental instability on the child it also is not fair to the team.

I definitely think parents are going overboard on bribary-this is opening a new can of worms, but I've heard a lot about parents bribing their kids with technology, money, etc. if they perform a certain skill. Personally, I don't think this is okay..I understand maybe if it's a skill they are very close to and maybe that little extra motive would do the trick for some children, but this is also very demanding and can be frustrating for the cheerleader.

The skill should be the reward. Not presents. And we definitely shouldn't be pushing them into levels they aren't ready for--our job as professional coaches should be to prevent that.

I think parents that are passionate for the sport and spend a lot of time and money at a gym long for thier child to be at the top of the food chain.... Doesn't make it right but it's reality. And this doesn't apply to all....but to quite a big chunk of them.
As in a previous thread, I think all parents need to read and sign level 5 mom's decleration of a cheer parent and realize that it will happen when and if it should!
There's nothing wrong in wanting to be level 5.... It's how you go about it!

Along the same line what are your thoughts on the push for Y5?

I'm very torn on this because I do know some athletes that are youth that ARE l5 & we have a Y5 at our gym. There needs to be a place for these athletes so I guess, I dont really know...lol! :) Do I think every gym should push to have a Y5? No... Do I think that there are some teams that should be competeing Y4 that are Y5? YES! Do I think there are some amazing Y5 athletes out there that need a team? YES! Not really sure that answered your question....lol

:fro::cow:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

I COULDNT AGREE MORE! its so annoying with people "Trying" to have a level 5 team, and placing last everywere including worlds! why dont you have a good level 4 team! go 5 when your ready...not just because? personally, id rather not embarrass myself at level 5 and just go level 4 or even three, with some of these teams!

I hate it when teams at level 5 and they only have a few level 5 skills. If you only have 3 fulls then you will most likely never win against a team that has 15. Just stay level 4 until everybody can do the skills!

Well, I've said this before - my cp's body might be ready for a Worlds team, but I don't know that her mind is. I don't think I would feel the same way about a J5 or Y5, though. At least with a younger teamthey would have similar skills and mentality, and to create a top-notch team, everyone needs to mesh well.

Well, I've said this before - my cp's body might be ready for a Worlds team, but I don't know that her mind is. I don't think I would feel the same way about a J5 or Y5, though. At least with a younger team, they would have similar skills and mentality, and to create a top-notch team, everyone needs to mesh well.

Back