All-Star Sr. 5......are They Truly Ready?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

love that idea... except a lot of the smaller gyms don't have a senior open and a worlds team.

not sure if that would even solve the problem. kids on the SO5 teams just want to be on a worlds team. it's so sad that the ENTIRE season is now being based on one competition. it's not positive growth for athletes or programs.

it's a bad approach no matter what way you look at it. athletes arent developing skills properly... i have seen way too many athletes attempt fulls when they shouldnt be, just to make a level 5 team. also, starting to see athletes level 3-4 athletes switching gyms to be on weak level 5s at other gyms. whatever happened to the days of being the best at any given level?

also i think alot of people think of "level 5" ready as only tumbling skills. The person also needs to be at a level 5 stunting level. Also jumps, dance, and overall techneique need to be looked at.

And other sports aren't like this?

really? so let's just take away NCA, Cheersport and any other national for that matter.

let's get rid of conference championships and tournaments as well.

slippery slope much?

worlds is relevant to level 5 without a doubt, but that is for the minority elite. that large (and lucrative) majority of athletes in levels 1-4 is impacted by this push for level 5 as well. if programs are shifting level 3/4 athletes to level 5, what happens to the talent in the other divisions?

really? so let's just take away NCA, Cheersport and any other national for that matter.

let's get rid of conference championships and tournaments as well.

slippery slope much?

worlds is relevant to level 5 without a doubt, but that is for the minority elite. that large (and lucrative) majority of athletes in levels 1-4 is impacted by this push for level 5 as well. if programs are shifting level 3/4 athletes to level 5, what happens to the talent in the other divisions?

My point was that other sports focus on just one competition/game - level 5 standard cheerleaders want to compete at worlds, NFL footballers want to play at the Superbowl, etc. I'm not saying that other competitions don't matter so we take them away, it's just that athletes at a level 5 standard want to compete at worlds because it's worlds. Just like elite level gymnasts want to compete at the gymnastics world championships. Just like elite level swimmers want to compete at the swimming world championships.

My point was that other sports focus on just one competition/game - level 5 standard cheerleaders want to compete at worlds, NFL footballers want to play at the Superbowl, etc. I'm not saying that other competitions don't matter so we take them away, it's just that athletes at a level 5 standard want to compete at worlds because it's worlds. Just like elite level gymnasts want to compete at the gymnastics world championships. Just like elite level swimmers want to compete at the swimming world championships.

i regard worlds as any other competition, simply a national where everyone attends. regardless, i was talking about athletes who are weaker level 5, stronger level 4 and this push for a worlds team when they are not skill ready.

I don't see a problem with one competition either. NCA and Cheersport are still great competitions. You need competitions like these for many reasons; practice, fun, bids, titles, etc. Football teams play many divisions (High school, college, pro)... but only pro can go to the Superbowl, and that is everyone's goal. In the end, that is everyone's final goal to make it there. World's is against the best of the best. At Worlds, everyone is there, meaning you are truly the best... not the best out of the 5-15 that showed up to a nationals. You are ranked internationally which is amazing. While I see girls pushing too hard to get there, I think it's a great motivation tool and if they want to work hard, all the power to them. If they are doing skills that put them in danger because they aren't ready, I think that is the coaches fault... not the concept of worlds. Just IMO.... and also in my opinion, I do not view Worlds as just any other nationals... just me

I understand that every parent wants their child to have the recognition that comes along with being on a "worlds team", however these parents need to take the time to actually WATCH some Worlds videos and see if their child and the child's teammates are actually up to par with other teams......putting the pressure on the kids and spending all that money just to say you were there isn't worth it...IMO unless you can see yourself having even a slight chance at day 2 you are not ready....

Iwould shimmy this 1000 times if i could...lol

Sometimes it is not the parent who wants level 5 but the kid!!!! My daughter got her full in February and now has a double(yes she has good technique- we work with a gymnastics coach to make sure) and is working arabians. She can not get enough. She got her 3 to a full and 2 weeks later she got her 1 to a full. Now she wants a standing full. I have begged her to slow down but she wants it all lol! I saw her at a stunt class working the SE stunt lol. I just sit back and know that the coaches will place her where she deserves to be. I know physically she is ready for level 5 but I hope she can handle it mentally. I am trying to prepare her! As far as worlds goes she is counting down the years until she is eligible! She knows it takes hard work and dedication and also a coaching staff who knows what is best for the kid!

i agree on the sr 5....so many parents say "if my kid gets a full, i want her on a level 5 worlds team" TUMBLING ISNT THE ONLY ASPECT......there is also, motions, stunts, and jumps. you also have to be mature enough to handle the pressure of a level 5 team. not everone can do that

Totally agree.

And why does everyone insist on blaming these parents? I've seen more crazy psycho coaches pushing for skills more than parents. I believe that most of the parents aren't the main problem, its the coaches. Its just the "psycho cheer parent" is the loudest. If the kid wants to push themselves to be on a WORLDS team and their parent can encourage and help them make their dream come true, more power to them.

i agree on the sr 5....so many parents say "if my kid gets a full, i want her on a level 5 worlds team" TUMBLING ISNT THE ONLY ASPECT......there is also, motions, stunts, and jumps. you also have to be mature enough to handle the pressure of a level 5 team. not everone can do that
True true and then when the parents cant get their way they jump ship to another gym that will throw their child on a level five team

I love this thread! I always wonder what really means your level five? I think that so many people think they should be on five, and they just are not ready. It's either because their parents want them on it, or because they want to be able to go to worlds. I think that someone is only truly ready to be level five when they are a very good base, and you should be able to tumble, they also have to be able to handle pressure well. I think that some of that "earning your stripes" has gone away, and that is not fair to those girls that worked their butts off to make level five, while the girl next to them had a mom who got her on that team.

Back