All-Star Standard Basing- Fading Trend?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 1, 2013
Just want to hear others opinions. Do you feel as if standard basing ("all girl", base base back-spot) is a dying trend? All I ever hear when the topic of "elite" double based stunts is brought up is that it's not required, but it seems to me like teams are spending more and more time making sure they have level appropriate elements in their "2-man" section...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

it's not a requirement, but the second another team in your division does a 2man section, you need one to be able to hang.

large senior last season for example: stars choreographed that section in from day 1 (I think they were first, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) and slowly but surely all the other large senior teams added it in. not to be "copycats" but because it became a requirement for that division if they wanted to keep up.

Just want to hear others opinions. Do you feel as if standard basing ("all girl", base base back-spot) is a dying trend? All I ever hear when the topic of "elite" double based stunts is brought up is that it's not required, but it seems to me like teams are spending more and more time making sure they have level appropriate elements in their "2-man" section...

We started doing 2 mans/quantity sections a few years ago for all levels, and I think it makes a big difference particularly when you get to levels 3 and above. Our kids tend to be great stunters, and we've found that this is a place where we can pick up points that other teams don't go for. Plus, we tend to have smaller teams (10-11 kids), so it's visually a little nicer to put three stunts in the air instead of the standard two.

I don't think it'll ever go away. Too many teams don't have the man power to do all 2-man stunts, and even if they did, having 3 bases is a good progression to 2-mans. I'm also looking at this from a level 5/6 perspective. A 2 man isn't too hard for my team, but if we were to try it with full ups, double downs or rewinds, we'd have a lot fewer groups in the air. I can think of 1 stunt group who could do it, but the rest are still working on straight up skills and cradles. Most people will need the group of 3 to do the harder skills

@njallday @JulieP The question of the day: Will the day come where standard basing is extinct?

I don't think it will ever go completely extinct, but I think that we are going to start seeing more and more teams using single based groups for their longer, elite sequence. If you can hit the quantities there and save the time and energy of doing two stunt sequences, then why not? We are not there yet from a strength standpoint to do a long 2 man elite, but maybe at some point.

I really hope it doesn't become a think of the past. Realistically, there is a lot more an all girl group can do with a third than something that is just two manned. Especially when you get into Level 6. I have sincere doubts about girls being able to 2 man rewinds as the norm for the division. Can some do it? For sure. But most cannot.

Plus having always been the token tall girl on my team...I'm biased to thirding!

We do quantity stunts on all levels. My CP's level one team has 9 single based stunts n that section. I think as they go up in levels it gets tougher to do if you don't have boys or really small flyers. Our youth 2 struggled with them because everyone except a couple of flyers were basically the same size.

So, on a level 4 team a 2 man stunt gets higher points than a standard basing? Do you have to have 2 man stunts to max out the points?

My youth one did not have any standard stunts this past weekend. There are 9 of the on the team so we did four single based 1/4 up bow release stretch turn scorps and come down and three doublebased stretch tick immediate 1/4 turn tick to arabesque come in dip 1/4 to hands pop offs. It made a massive impact on our stunt score versus the opposition not to mention overall impression and helping them to hang with teams of 16 and 20

Back