Starting All Star Cheer??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 1, 2015
Hey, I'm new here and I'm currently in my second year of highschool cheer. I discovered highschool cheer before all star, and honestly wish I had gotten into all star prior to highschool. All Star cheerleading is my dream at this point in my life. I'm fifteen, and am dedicated to my cheer team at the moment, but wanted to know if I can join an all star team in a year or two and still eventually get to a level four or five team. Competing is the best feeling, and cheer consumes my entire life now. I am a 5'2 90 lb flyer, I can pull my scorpion, bow and arrow, and arabesque, and am currently working on my spike and needle, but it might take a while. I am not a good tumbler but over the summer I am going to take tumbling classes again and coed stunting classes, as well as going to open gyms throughout the year to practice both stunting and tumbling. The highest level in tumbling that I have is a weak cartwheel. (Sad, I know). Another reason that I cannot do all star cheer at the moment is I don't have the money for it, and my parents work from dawn to dusk, so they probably couldn't afford to pay for it or take me to any practices, showcases, or competitions. Therefore, waiting two years would be the best option for me since I would be able to have a job and (hopefully a car if I can pay for it myself) in order to drive myself and pay for it myself. Currently, we pay around $1700 - 2000 a year for highschool cheer. I live in North California, so I am about an hour and forty minutes from the Livermore Cali All Star Gym, and University Cheer Force is 30 minutes away from me. I'm sorry this is so lengthy, but it would mean everything to be able to do all star cheer, and I appreciate any help you can give me.

Regardless of what year you try out, I'm going to tell you flat out: the first way that they are going to separate teams is by tumbling skill level. After they divide by tumbling skill, they will narrow down based on stunting position & potential. Level 2 is a solid backhandspring (standing & running), so aiming for a level 4/5 with no prior tumbling is a lofty goal.....
That being said, everyone learns differently. It is not impossible to pick up a backhandspring, tuck and layout or full within a two year period, but not the norm. You REALLY would need to take tumbling classes consistently (ideally two times a week if possible) to even be considered for a level 3,4,5 team. Keep in mind that the coaches will place you wherever you are going to flourish best. It does not matter the level, you will get that team experience with competitions, memories, hard work & good times. The only time people seem to care what level they are on is when they want to brag to others, which if that is the reason someone is doing the sport, they aren't really in love with the sport itself.

Something you can do at home to help with the tumbling process is condition. The stronger your body, the easier it will be to pick up skills.
Conditioning - For the "Love" of Tumbling

To add to that all star is completely different to high school/scholastic/collegiate or varsity. Your tumbling will be slightly different as well as your jumps.

Also I'm not being harsh or mean but just because you fly for your high school doesn't always mean you'll fly for all star. I know a few girls who base/back spot for all star but fly at school.

I would try to find a location that has a 4.2 team. These are made for girls like you who have a higher level of stunting than tumbling. You would still need to work on getting level 2 tumbling skills, but you may already have close to level 4 stunting skills.

Good luck!

Thank you so much I really appreciate that, it's actually a really smart idea. :)

To add to that all star is completely different to high school/scholastic/collegiate or varsity. Your tumbling will be slightly different as well as your jumps.

Also I'm not being harsh or mean but just because you fly for your high school doesn't always mean you'll fly for all star. I know a few girls who base/back spot for all star but fly at school.

I completely understand that it is 100% different and I am willing to devote every hour to cheer. I agree with you completely that I may be a base (but I know I'm way too short to back ;)) But thank you so much for your insight!

Regardless of what year you try out, I'm going to tell you flat out: the first way that they are going to separate teams is by tumbling skill level. After they divide by tumbling skill, they will narrow down based on stunting position & potential. Level 2 is a solid backhandspring (standing & running), so aiming for a level 4/5 with no prior tumbling is a lofty goal.....
That being said, everyone learns differently. It is not impossible to pick up a backhandspring, tuck and layout or full within a two year period, but not the norm. You REALLY would need to take tumbling classes consistently (ideally two times a week if possible) to even be considered for a level 3,4,5 team. Keep in mind that the coaches will place you wherever you are going to flourish best. It does not matter the level, you will get that team experience with competitions, memories, hard work & good times. The only time people seem to care what level they are on is when they want to brag to others, which if that is the reason someone is doing the sport, they aren't really in love with the sport itself.

Something you can do at home to help with the tumbling process is condition. The stronger your body, the easier it will be to pick up skills.
Conditioning - For the "Love" of Tumbling

Absolutely. It will be extremely difficult in order to get into any team without tumbling skills up to par. I am referring to joining a level one or two team and working my way up over several years. I also agree that a good portion of people are interested in higher level teams for the label, however I simply want the challenge and the rigorous program. I will definitely be working every day and week on my tumbling, stunting, and conditioning (not to mention my jumps). Thank you so much for your consideration and thought put into your post! :D

Thank you so much I really appreciate that, it's actually a really smart idea. :)
Keep in mind that even if a gym has a 4.2 and you had a back handspring, it doesn't mean that's the team you would be placed on. They could see you as a base on level 2 and not a flyer. CPs is a flyer and was on the same team with a friend who also was a flyer. This season, CP was placed on SC3 again to fly while the friend was placed on J3 to base. Both are the same size.

Keep in mind that even if a gym has a 4.2 and you had a back handspring, it doesn't mean that's the team you would be placed on. They could see you as a base on level 2 and not a flyer. CPs is a flyer and was on the same team with a friend who also was a flyer. This season, CP was placed on SC3 again to fly while the friend was placed on J3 to base. Both are the same size.

I agree completely, of course I would be hoping to fly again, however if I was put in that position I definitely accept it! Thanks for sharing your insight! :)

Hey, I'm new here and I'm currently in my second year of highschool cheer. I discovered highschool cheer before all star, and honestly wish I had gotten into all star prior to highschool. All Star cheerleading is my dream at this point in my life. I'm fifteen, and am dedicated to my cheer team at the moment, but wanted to know if I can join an all star team in a year or two and still eventually get to a level four or five team. Competing is the best feeling, and cheer consumes my entire life now. I am a 5'2 90 lb flyer, I can pull my scorpion, bow and arrow, and arabesque, and am currently working on my spike and needle, but it might take a while. I am not a good tumbler but over the summer I am going to take tumbling classes again and coed stunting classes, as well as going to open gyms throughout the year to practice both stunting and tumbling. The highest level in tumbling that I have is a weak cartwheel. (Sad, I know). Another reason that I cannot do all star cheer at the moment is I don't have the money for it, and my parents work from dawn to dusk, so they probably couldn't afford to pay for it or take me to any practices, showcases, or competitions. Therefore, waiting two years would be the best option for me since I would be able to have a job and (hopefully a car if I can pay for it myself) in order to drive myself and pay for it myself. Currently, we pay around $1700 - 2000 a year for highschool cheer. I live in North California, so I am about an hour and forty minutes from the Livermore Cali All Star Gym, and University Cheer Force is 30 minutes away from me. I'm sorry this is so lengthy, but it would mean everything to be able to do all star cheer, and I appreciate any help you can give me.
UCF has a level 4.2 and they're super good! They also have Saturday classes that are much less expensive than week classes and they're smaller so you get a ton more skills.

I just got into allstar cheerleading last year, and all it takes is a little dedication because I had a cartwheel six months ago and I got my front handspring in a day. There will be a level to meet your skill level, and I am senior one there is nothing to be embarrassed about being on a low level. I saw a girl on cheer athletics (My next gym) and she learned her full in two years. All it takes is hard work, but to be honest, cheerleading is a very expensive sport, but the tumbling and stunting will definitely help a lot.

Latest posts

Back