High School State Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes it has all star and rec, I mean a true high school state comp like GHSA
Not sure if you are trying to be funny. I do not know much about GHSA, but there is a New Jersey State cheerleading competition for High School as well as state wide rec and all stars.....they are not all the same weekend, I believe, rec and HS is the same weekend and AS is the following.....so I'm not quite sure what your comment is referencing.

Not sure if you are trying to be funny. I do not know much about GHSA, but there is a New Jersey State cheerleading competition for High School as well as state wide rec and all stars.....they are not all the same weekend, I believe, rec and HS is the same weekend and AS is the following.....so I'm not quite sure what your comment is referencing.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I've been to the state competition you are talking about and competed on an all star team. What I'm trying to say is that there should be county and regional comps you have to make it past in order to make it to states (for high school cheer). There is not one governing body for HS cheer in jersey. People use UCA, NCA, AACCA, and NFHS just in my area. I hope what I was trying to say is more clear now

MA State Champions:

D1
Billerica (No Video)

D2 ( Video from Regionals)
Dracut

D3
East Bridgwater

D4
Ipswich

Lrg Coed
Revere

Sm Coed
Rockland (No Video)

MA State Champions:
D2 ( Video from Regionals)
Dracut

Okay. As a Dracut alumni, when did they become good?!? I never cheered in hs (I hated cheering at games, got over that real quick at age 9), but the team never looked like that. They could barely hold extensions and had maybe two girls who could tumble. If I'm not mistaken they practice at ECE now but, wow, I was not expecting that! They look great!!

Okay. As a Dracut alumni, when did they become good?!? I never cheered in hs (I hated cheering at games, got over that real quick at age 9), but the team never looked like that. They could barely hold extensions and had maybe two girls who could tumble. If I'm not mistaken they practice at ECE now but, wow, I was not expecting that! They look great!!
They've been really good for about the past 5 years now, I think? I know Scott is their coach and they have been amazing under him! The past few years they have been the team to watch out for! If i recall correctly in 09 they won winter states and they won fall states this past Sunday and if not 1st a close 2nd or 3rd, along with that numerous regional and MVC titles as well! These girls def. are the team to beat!

They've been really good for about the past 5 years now, I think? I know Scott is their coach and they have been amazing under him! The past few years they have been the team to watch out for! If i recall correctly in 09 they won winter states and they won fall states this past Sunday and if not 1st a close 2nd or 3rd, along with that numerous regional and MVC titles as well! These girls def. are the team to beat!
Ah well that'd make sense! I graduated 6 years ago and they weren't much to talk about back then! Glad they've turned it around!!

Id just like to throw out there that High School Cheer in Missouri a JOKE. You can't swing in-between jump combinations or it doesn't count. Their rules are out-dated and old school. The "Bonus Point" Sheet is so out-dated. You get a Bonus point for Full Squad Double Toe Touches, Diamond Heads, Extended Lib - Tap to ground - Back to Extended Lib, etc. Why not make bonus points something worth while? Most people on the Missouri board are significantly older than the average person therefore remains traditional and old school. I wish High School Cheer would get more up to date in Missouri.

5A State Champions:

They got rid of the bonus sheet and the floor is 9 panels now. They had safety mats in front and to the side which they got rid of. You can swing now.
Also, that's the Super large state champs. Super large isn't separated by school size.
Yes MO cheer is a little behind. But it's kind of rude to call it a joke. That team placed 6th at nationals, something like 13th overall so I don't think it's that bad!
MO doesn't have that many all star gyms compared to other states so their high school teams haven't had as much skill but they are getting better every year... This year the team in the video had a lot more standing tucks, better stunts, etc so at least it's progressing.

They got rid of the bonus sheet and the floor is 9 panels now. They had safety mats in front and to the side which they got rid of. You can swing now.
Also, that's the Super large state champs. Super large isn't separated by school size.
Yes MO cheer is a little behind. But it's kind of rude to call it a joke. That team placed 6th at nationals, something like 13th overall so I don't think it's that bad!
MO doesn't have that many all star gyms compared to other states so their high school teams haven't had as much skill but they are getting better every year... This year the team in the video had a lot more standing tucks, better stunts, etc so at least it's progressing.

State in the past has been a joke. Politics. Scoring errors. Bonus sheet was out dated, people running it were old as dirt and political. So yes, it has been a joke. I wasn't there this year, nor did I really follow results, so I can't speak for this year other than from a choreography standpoint, the scoresheets were better and the outdated bonus sheet was gone. The teams I choreographed seemed happy with their placements.

I live in South Dakota, and IMO, cheer isn't that big here. Both the school's cheer team and dance team go to the same competitions.

Competition season here is during football season. Varsity cheers for Varsity football but also goes to comp. I was JV for football season and there aren't any comps for JV.

As far as regionals, there aren't any here. There's a ton of school cheer and dance invitationals, though. Our Varsity team went to about 8 or 9 of them. Anyone can go to state.

I hate the way they do the divisions here. For dance, there's small and large (I can't remember the number requirement). Out of that, there's hip-hop, jazz, kick and pom. All of the girls do every category. So, if 14 girls are doing hip-hop, then those exact same 14 girls are doing the other 3 categories.
As for cheer, there's the small division (6-12 girls) and the large division (13-26 girls). From there, there's small stunting/non-tumbling, large stunting/non-tumbling, small stunting/tumbling and large stunting/tumbling. There was a coed division a couple years back, but it got "discontinued". :/

It gets so broken up, and when cheer isn't even a huge deal in your state, (as someone previously posted) some teams are the only ones in that division. OMG I'm writing a novel here. I'll stop now, lol.

If anyone's interested, the South Dakota High School Activities Association website has tons more!

Competitive Cheer | Athletics | SDHSAA

Back