Stressed

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our first competition is also Nov 8th and we are nowhere near ready! We have barely started on the routine.

Last year the girls just learned the dance portion the week before our showoff, it was horribly embarrassing!

My CP's gym seems to be purposely waiting until the last minute to teach their pyramids. She has learned bits and pieces here and there, and has general idea what side she is on in them, etc. but does not know a full pyramid yet! At first our theory was they needed full attendance and that was just not happening in the summer, but it's been weeks since school started w/ full attendance every night and still no pyramids. It makes me nervous. Is it unusual to learn a pyramid late?

Last edited:
We don't have our music, we don't compete till Nov 22 but still.we're also not completely finished with the dance, although we know everything else. I wouldn't worry. We didn't get our music until the week before our first HS comp and we were fine.

LOL. We have four practices before our first comp. We do not have music (but we can use last year's if it comes down to it). We have about 18 eight counts nailed down. The rest... will come. We will have something for our first comp. I guess I'm lucky in that our first comp is pretty awesome - it is all rec teams, so the majority of them are not really competitive, and it is free (yay, Coastal!) AND they give out US Finals bids, including paid bids. So, yeah, I look at this comp as a sort of show off rather than a competition, but a show off with perks in that we might actually get a US Finals bid. I'm nervous... but not really too nervous. My kids are awesome and I know they'll get it!

My little sister's showcase is Nov. 1 and she says they haven't heard their whole music yet. (They have learned their dance though and they emailed out a snippet of the music for that.) My gym's first comp is Oct. 25 and we've only had ours a few weeks. I don't think it's a big deal to get it late, as long as your routine's hitting!

My CPs team always learns the pyramid the week before their first comp (December). I guess after 4 years I have learned that the pyramid must not be too difficult if they learned it that quickly. They typically add difficulty to it over the course of the season. Right now everything is about stunting, tumbling, and jumps!

My CPs team always learns the pyramid the week before their first comp (December). I guess after 4 years I have learned that the pyramid must not be too difficult if they learned it that quickly. They typically add difficulty to it over the course of the season. Right now everything is about stunting, tumbling, and jumps!
I think pyramids are often taught last because it's pretty easy to dumb down (but remain level appropriate) if it's not hitting, and easy to add to as the year goes on. Plus you don't need every group to be doing the hard stuff, you have your bracers and you can put the weaker groups there. With stunts it's harder, because all the groups have to hit the same thing at the same time, and if certain things aren't hitting there's really not another level appropriate thing you can do that's similar, at least at Lower levels... Like you can't dumb down your extended lib in l3 to a Prep lib, because you aren't going to get points for it, so you have to completely change the stunt.

CP's team completed learning their dance Sunday and got their music last night. They had already learned everything except the dance prior to this past weekend. Showcase is Oct 18th and first comp is Nov 2nd. No stress since this was pretty much what we experienced last year and both teams CP was on had a very successful season.

Last season, cp's team finished their routine and got their music the night before their first comp.

(And you wonder why I have grey hair!)

Holy cow! That does make me feel better (but also more stressed for you guys!). My team has learned everything but the pyramid. And like I said, we do have the music. It's hard because I feel like I always have someone missing. But this Friday I am teaching the pyramid. Hope it goes well!

We're a little over a month out from our first competition (October 25) and my kids haven't done their pyramid yet. We've worked on all the pieces, but have yet to put it all together. We haven't done our elite stunt to music yet. We just started doing everything else to music about a week ago... After a month of rotating kids in and out of the team (added a kid, another quit, kid we added quit, had to add a crossover to salvage stunt groups) and changing stuff around, I was in a total panic, absolutely sure there was no way we'd be ready. Everything suddenly seems to be falling into place now and I'm way less nervous about having a missing piece left to hit.

This part of the season is always stressful and I don't think there's ever been a year, whether I was a coach or athlete, where I didn't have a moment where I thought we couldn't pull it off. Every year, I've been wrong... It always works out!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

We're a little over a month out from our first competition (October 25) and my kids haven't done their pyramid yet. We've worked on all the pieces, but have yet to put it all together. We haven't done our elite stunt to music yet. We just started doing everything else to music about a week ago... After a month of rotating kids in and out of the team (added a kid, another quit, kid we added quit, had to add a crossover to salvage stunt groups) and changing stuff around, I was in a total panic, absolutely sure there was no way we'd be ready. Everything suddenly seems to be falling into place now and I'm way less nervous about having a missing piece left to hit.

This part of the season is always stressful and I don't think there's ever been a year, whether I was a coach or athlete, where I didn't have a moment where I thought we couldn't pull it off. Every year, I've been wrong... It always works out!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
you are way ahead of CP's team. they have showcase that same weekend, and no work has been done on pyramid, elites are going up at belly, not prep (level 2 team) and are shaky and incomplete. We have yet to run a full out with tumbling. No one on the team has ever attempted to cradle from extension or throw a basket toss.

Back