Subconscious Mental Block?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 20, 2012
So I did my very first BHS today (after starting cheer in June) and my tumbling coach said that I'm terrified in the air. Problem is, I don't think I'm scared. I'm thinking "sit, arch, hollow." So is it possible for my body to be scared and not my mind? If so, any tips to help?

I don't believe you're scared persay, but just holding back. I'm not afraid but if I hold back a little bit, my form is off. Just tell yourself to go full out and not think so much because I know for me, even if I think about what to do, I stress myself out.

I don't believe you're scared persay, but just holding back. I'm not afraid but if I hold back a little bit, my form is off. Just tell yourself to go full out and not think so much because I know for me, even if I think about what to do, I stress myself out.
I agree with the holding back thing! Whenever I haven't tumbled in a while I'm always really timid and don't use all my power which makes me land short sometimes which kills my ankles. I know I can do this skill, and I'm not afraid to throw it but I hold back and like AllHeartxo3 said, my form is off.

I'm imagining this very differently. If you're doing the skill without hesitation or fear, but your coach is describing you as terrified in the air, then I think it comes down to a lack of air awareness. Have you seen a video of you doing your back handspring? If it doesn't resemble anything than what you think you're doing, then that could be it. In which case, there's no mental block, just need more work on your fundamentals.

Back