All-Star Summer Practices

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From what I recalled, official practices were twice a week and they started like the 3rd week of May - The parents were instructed to submit their vacation plans to the head coach, which they cautioned us to try to work around the weeks the gym is closed, but if not, I think, the athlete was able to miss like 3 practices or 2 weeks, but these missed practices must be okay in advanced. I definitely noticed that during the summer months, the team work more with the tumbling instructors and flyers, bases and backspots worked on stunt skills, but no real permanent working on the routine yet. In July, the gym had 3-4 days of cheer camp, which were mandatory and during the Summer, many bonding activities were planned. I think, in August - September, the team had the different pyramid and dance choreography week and after labor day, the team added the 3rd weekly practice to the schedule and then stricter and mandatory practices begin and routines started with permanent stunt groups being selected, etc...
During the Summer, I noticed that athletes were missing but the gym used athletes from other teams, so the practices were still productive and worthwhile for those who came.

Since I crossover for 2 teams I practice 3-4 days a week (1 tumbling class, 1 practice for my team, and 1 practice for my other team, as well as open gym once a week sometimes).

All of the gyms here run once a week practices, with a 3-5 week break at some point (July or August for no school). Vacations are encouraged during the break, but there is a little more flexibility with missing practices over the summer.

We just finished our season last weekend. Most teams here have a 2 month break, and practices start again in September,

My team's practices are a little different because we already start preparing for next season. We try and schedule about 2 practices a week during the summer. People don't have te be there if they're travelling, but we expect them to come if they're in town. We're mostly getting the new members used to stunting and figuring out different stunt combinations. But I suppose it's a lot different here in Europe compared to the US :)

Our tryouts ran from May 5 - June 14th. Since placements, the teams practice 1x/week for 2.5 hours, which includes training and conditioning. Plus, there are optional tumbling and conditioning classes. This week they had 3 days of stunt camp, and team bonding one night. There are 2 weeks of choreo, in August and September. In September, practices will resume 2x/week.

We allow 6 missed practices during the summer, but they must be scheduled at least 5 days in advance. The gym is closed for a week, so they encourage vacations to be taken during that time.

Our previous gym had always had a if you are in town, you are supposed to be at practice policy. This year they put a 4 absences during the summer policy in play. The gym we are tumbling at and may possibly join a team at I think has a 2 absence policy. They wanted all planned absences (vacations and such) by the first part of June.

Coming from the the first policy, I can see why the limited absences are put into place. Summer is the time to work on skills, stunting, etc. before chero is done. So you can hit the ground running after chero is complete. However, I am not a fan of the schedule your vacations during the week we are closed. Around here, that is always the week of July 4. That is also considered Dead Week for our schools, so no practices either. If we were to vacation then, the prices would be higher and the crowds greater. I'd rather go at a time when everyone else isn't.

We are only allowed 2 missed practices a year (summer only) if you are out of town.

They must be scheduled in advanced.

We do however close for two whole weeks ... one the week of 4th of July.
And another week random in august. We encourage vacations to be in those periods if possible. But understand not everyone can do these 2 weeks so they allow the other 2 absences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hmmm...I am not sure there is a set number that they can miss. Practices run same schedule all year, and vacations are encouraged to be taken the one week the gym closes in August. You are permitted to vacation and miss practice as long as they are scheduled and notice is given ahead of time. I do like the flexibility that if the family wanted to plan a once in a lifetime type trip to Europe or something they are permitted, but figure an athlete that were to abuse this type of policy might risk losing their spot (whether that be punishment or not progressing skills while others are).

We would never be able to be at a gym that says you have to take vacation when they say to. We're doing a cruise this year and they set sail at very specific times and have to be scheduled a year in advance so yea, we're going to be missing a week for that. I made sure to give them our vacation schedule and luckily our gym is much more lenient about it.

One reason for moving to All Star was that summer was flexible, and other vacations were set times that we could plan, and coordinated with the school schedule. For years in YCOA, if CP's team qualified at regionals in December, we had state in Jan, usually 3 weeks apart-that just happened to include the school winter break. Kiss making Christmas travel plans goodbye. If they made nationals, it was at the end of July, and a team could get a bid as late as June. There were breaks of a few weeks after state competitions and nationals, but inevitably, they'd hit school.

We would never be able to be at a gym that says you have to take vacation when they say to. We're doing a cruise this year and they set sail at very specific times and have to be scheduled a year in advance so yea, we're going to be missing a week for that. I made sure to give them our vacation schedule and luckily our gym is much more lenient about it.
If your gym always closes the same weeks every year, then it really is no big deal to schedule your vacation during those weeks.
That being said, that is one thing I am very much looking forward to - not being a slave to the all star schedule after this season.

We started with a six week boot camp with three hour practices twice a week plus 1.5 hour classes for flyers. Then teams were announced. Team practices start this week. Two practices a week for 2.5 hours, plus 1.5 hours of tumbling and then we do 1 hour privates and extra flyer classes which are another hour.

starting to dislike summer practices. Since CP crossed from cheer to dance. Dance is not run the same. Cheer athletes more committed. Dancers, the commitment isnt there, as it doesn't seem to be required by coaching staff. Its a senior team, so they girls come when they want it seems. Hated for my CP as i wont let her miss, they teach them something and cant move forward, as every practices it seems someone different is missing so they have to teach the same 8 counts over and over.

We had our last practice of the 16-17 season this week,but are going to try and get together to train each week during the break. It isnt required but it is encouraged, as we will be able to keep up our conditioning-routine.
We also attend summer stuntfest as a team (not required ), and it serves as a great teambonding weekend.

Back