High School Summer Schedule

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 30, 2009
I'm interested to know if your school cheer team will be practicing this summer. Our camp is end of July. We are taking the entire June off and will be back at school and gym for regular practice in July. I really like this schedule - us parents can plan for holidays in June and girls can have some bonding times as well.

My CP's team practices every Wednesday for 2 hours and has a 3 day camp during the summer. They also work at 2 camps that are fundraiser for them.

We start summer practices immediately. We have them Tues-Thurs 1:30-5:30 so we can leave thurs after practice and not have to be back until Tuesday (4 day trips). Each team has a 3 day home camp and we all go away together for 3 days for camp... So when it's JV's home camp varsity is off for thursday through two tuesdays after (11 days each team).

We are MWF 4-6p from tryouts in April through the end of school.

Then they have a short break (about 3 weeks.) We start up in late June going M-Th from 9-noon up until camp in mid-July (about 2 weeks or so.) After camp, they get a week off, then they're back to MWF 9-12 through the start of the school year.

I should have mentioned that nothing over the summer can be mandatory and try outs are not until mid August. However it's known that if you do not show up it is going to be hard to make the team

I should have mentioned that nothing over the summer can be mandatory and try outs are not until mid August. However it's known that if you do not show up it is going to be hard to make the team
Make the team? When are your tryouts?

^^^^I think she said August? I think a few of the Northeastern states are like that (i.e. I think NJ?)

They don't have tryouts until August and can't hold clinics until the official start of school.

Yes I know. Kudos because I would not be able to deal!

Mid August. Cheer has the same schedule as all fall and winter sports. Try outs for fall are mid August and try outs for winter are the week after Thanksgiving.
CP lives for cheer so never misses anything. We are in New Hampshire I think cheer is considered a sport here.

We had tryouts at the end of April. We had a meeting last week. Voted captains. The captains are going to teach the new girls cheers on their own time. No practices scheduled yet. Last week of school starts tomorrow.

Mid August. Cheer has the same schedule as all fall and winter sports. Try outs for fall are mid August and try outs for winter are the week after Thanksgiving.
CP lives for cheer so never misses anything. We are in New Hampshire I think cheer is considered a sport here.
Wow hat's off to your coach! I would FREAK OUT if I had to wait until August...

Same as other Northeastern schools where cheer is a sport. Mid August for fall season then right around Thanksgiving for winter. Cp seriously thinking about only doing fall cheer since winter cheer is competition season and tumbling on the dead mat killed her back last season; it is only recently she is fully recovered and they ended the end of February. Plus she is anot a fan of cheering at basketball. Not sure how happy the coach will be about that but I do not think they can make her do both seasons.

I envy those of you who can hold true practices over the summer! With my team I'm holding tryouts at the beginning of June (like most other schools here in MA) but we have to follow these per the MSSAA:

1) Season must not start until August 27th
2) We can begin conditioning three days prior to the 27th, August 24th
From the MSSAA Handbook for clarification:
Fall Season: The fall cheerleading season must not begin before the designated date determined by the MSSAA/MIAA (i.e., August 27, 2015). Fall cheerleading teams may precede their initial practice day with an additional three days of single, non-stunting sessions for conditioning purposes only. The conditioning sessions may only occur during the three days immediately preceding the fall season start date (i.e., August 24, 2015) and may not be used to prepare or choreograph competition routines. The Fall season must end with completion of the regular varsity season schedule except for a team completing their participation in the MSSAA tournament.

Most of my girls however are very motivated and like to get together and condition, or attend tumbling privates at local gyms, so by the time August roles around we are in pretty good shape!

Last season, I was a late hire so we didn't even get to hold tryouts until the 28th of August, and didn't finish our choreography until early October (thankfully the choreographer I knew could squeeze us in his schedule)! Was a very hectic season to say the least - looking forward to a much better (not so crazy and last minute) this time around!

I envy those of you who can hold true practices over the summer! With my team I'm holding tryouts at the beginning of June (like most other schools here in MA) but we have to follow these per the MSSAA:

1) Season must not start until August 27th
2) We can begin conditioning three days prior to the 27th, August 24th
From the MSSAA Handbook for clarification:
Fall Season: The fall cheerleading season must not begin before the designated date determined by the MSSAA/MIAA (i.e., August 27, 2015). Fall cheerleading teams may precede their initial practice day with an additional three days of single, non-stunting sessions for conditioning purposes only. The conditioning sessions may only occur during the three days immediately preceding the fall season start date (i.e., August 24, 2015) and may not be used to prepare or choreograph competition routines. The Fall season must end with completion of the regular varsity season schedule except for a team completing their participation in the MSSAA tournament.

Most of my girls however are very motivated and like to get together and condition, or attend tumbling privates at local gyms, so by the time August roles around we are in pretty good shape!

Last season, I was a late hire so we didn't even get to hold tryouts until the 28th of August, and didn't finish our choreography until early October (thankfully the choreographer I knew could squeeze us in his schedule)! Was a very hectic season to say the least - looking forward to a much better (not so crazy and last minute) this time around!
Like I said CP's team does non mandatory workouts that have been in the air conditioned gym. This year they are outside I am wondering how that will impact attendance. CP is already complaining [emoji23]

Like I said CP's team does non mandatory workouts that have been in the air conditioned gym. This year they are outside I am wondering how that will impact attendance. CP is already complaining [emoji23]
It's definitely tough! I always remind the girls to hydrate BEFORE and to bring lots of water !

Back