High School Summer Schedule

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's definitely tough! I always remind the girls to hydrate BEFORE and to bring lots of water !
She is so not looking forward to it. She student demos for an AYC team so she is used to outside,hot practices just doesn't like them. Lol

She is so not looking forward to it. She student demos for an AYC team so she is used to outside,hot practices just doesn't like them. Lol
Totally feel where she is coming from! When I cheered I dreaded the hot, humid, practices !

Mid August. Cheer has the same schedule as all fall and winter sports. Try outs for fall are mid August and try outs for winter are the week after Thanksgiving.
CP lives for cheer so never misses anything. We are in New Hampshire I think cheer is considered a sport here.

I'm in the same boat, except this is the first year i need to run the program like this. I'm a NYS coach (cheer was deemed a sport Nov 2014) and our season doesn't start until Aug 17. I can't have tryouts until then and all of my practices and tumbling sessions must be open to everyone.

It really screws us up for camp. We always went to Bryn Mawr in PA with NCA during the last week of Aug. It's unrealistic to ask families to fundraise/pay $400+ for camp when their child doesn't have a solid spot yet. The other local HS that traveled to NCA are all doing a local 3-day innovated speed camp together this year. $169 opposed to $400. It sucks, I love that out-of-town camp experience and so does my team!

/endrant

I'm in the same boat, except this is the first year i need to run the program like this. I'm a NYS coach (cheer was deemed a sport Nov 2014) and our season doesn't start until Aug 17. I can't have tryouts until then and all of my practices and tumbling sessions must be open to everyone.

It really screws us up for camp. We always went to Bryn Mawr in PA with NCA during the last week of Aug. It's unrealistic to ask families to fundraise/pay $400+ for camp when their child doesn't have a solid spot yet. The other local HS that traveled to NCA are all doing a local 3-day innovated speed camp together this year. $169 opposed to $400. It sucks, I love that out-of-town camp experience and so does my team!

/endrant
Most of the local teams to us go to a private ultimate speed camp by NCA. It's $180ish per girl. No tumbling taught but amazing stunts. Of course it can not be required.

How DO you get parents to pay for camp when your kid isn't technically on the team yet?

Do you just phrase it as "This is not a mandatory camp but practically no one makes the team without attending?"

How DO you get parents to pay for camp when your kid isn't technically on the team yet?

Do you just phrase it as "This is not a mandatory camp but practically no one makes the team without attending?"
The coach can not say that. She throws it out there as a great opportunity and most people take her up on it. Until this year she was also Spirit Director for the AYC organization that feeds this high school. So parents knew her expectations.

It becomes "strongly suggested for desired team placement". Our HS does not attends UCA camps but cp's friends' schools do, and this is what they have been told. I am not sure how it is phrased to kids planning on trying out. I do know that the summer workout groups at an all-star gym were also "strongly suggested" for team consideration. I also believe that it is not considered a sport for the fall season by some schools (they are keeping it as club status since they do not compete until winter) and this has given them some leeway.

What I am doing is allowing them to make payments throughout the summer ($50). If your child is cut, you get your full payment back. I coach in a small district and almost every student that goes through the tryout process is placed on a team. It's my first year doing this because of the changes, so it's hard to say how that will go. I've discussed this with most of the parents from the program and they all seem fine with it!

I don't consider Camp mandatory. It's highly encouraged, but I know it's a fink coal commitment. It's definitely not a make or break situation for a placement.

Mid August. Cheer has the same schedule as all fall and winter sports. Try outs for fall are mid August and try outs for winter are the week after Thanksgiving.
CP lives for cheer so never misses anything. We are in New Hampshire I think cheer is considered a sport here.

I so... wish cheer is considered a sport here. We spend so much time and money on it, cheer for the other sports, have daily practice at school, have weekly practice at the local gym, attend competitions and win national competition, but no.... we are not considered a sport.

I so... wish cheer is considered a sport here. We spend so much time and money on it, cheer for the other sports, have daily practice at school, have weekly practice at the local gym, attend competitions and win national competition, but no.... we are not considered a sport.
KY has it best, I think. They can start closed, mandatory practices as early as July 15, they can go to camp, and they can leave the state for competitions. In addition, they have one year-long season b/c cheer is deemed a sport-activity.

My team does agility and conditioning all through June Monday Wednesday and Fridays but it is not mandatory. The camp is the end of June and then we have 3 days a week of practice all through July.

Right now we have morning conditioning Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for an hour. We are either in the weight room, or in the gym doing different exercises on those days. We also have spirit practices on Mondays and Wednesday's from 5:30-7, and on Tuesdays we have practice at a local cheer gym from 5-7 to work on jumps, stunts and tumbling. Competition practices are just now starting up as we have choreography camp this Saturday (9-7) and Sunday (9-4)!

/endrant

I think we are going to see a big shift in the industry because of this. Bigger shift to home camps/ V!ROC choreography. I came from a NYS high school that always did private camps through Varsity and loved them. I didn't realize how big the out-of-town camp scene was until I staffed with UCA. Definitely keep an open mind! I think you will really love the home camp experience! Best of luck and keep us posted :)

Ok, so all of the complaining I've been doing about not being a sport now seems ridiculous. Our tryouts this year will be held a week before spring break. As our school starts at the beginning of August I can have non-mandatory practices for incoming girls and make it mandatory for my returners who are currently in cheer until end of may and make it mandatory from may to august.

Ok, so all of the complaining I've been doing about not being a sport now seems ridiculous. Our tryouts this year will be held a week before spring break. As our school starts at the beginning of August I can have non-mandatory practices for incoming girls and make it mandatory for my returners who are currently in cheer until end of may and make it mandatory from may to august.
I'm a little confused. Did California make it a sport now too? Are they changing the rules, when it's already almost August?

Back