All-Star Summit Bid Winners 2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yea I am expecting a letter any day now, although we moved closer to the gym this year and a new school district. The last 2 years we received letters about her absences. But she is in advance classes and carries an A average. Last year my CP missed 32 days, almost 12 for a concussion, another 10 or 12 days for competitions and Summit, and another 8 to 10 days for normal illnesses. Its not quite that bad this year but she will have missed 10 days alone for cheer, 4 for Summit alone.

My letter came last week. Even though most of her absences have been excused (I am that parent that writes a note saying she was sick when she misses for competition)...I still got a letter offering to help me out if my child needs medical attention!!! It also said they won't take any notes from me, I must provide a doctor excuse if she misses any more days. Really?? I am the parent, she is a straight A student in advanced classes. I think the school needs to butt out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My letter came last week. Even though most of her absences have been excused (I am that parent that writes a note saying she was sick when she misses for competition)...I still got a letter offering to help me out if my child needs medical attention!!! It also said they won't take any notes from me, I must provide a doctor excuse if she misses any more days. Really?? I am the parent, she is a straight A student in advanced classes. I think the school needs to butt out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure it is probably frustrating but we have to consider the big picture. The school could get in big time trouble if there happened to be a kid missing a lot but their parents refused to take them to the doctor. We have a lot of great and responsible parents here, but not every parent is that way. The school just has to be fair across the board to anyone who hit a certain number of absences.

Not disagreeing with you, I'm sure it's annoying. It was annoying when I sat in 30+ hours of make up class time for absences I had in high school, even WITH a doctors note. I'm just saying I see where the school is coming from.

I'm sure it is probably frustrating but we have to consider the big picture. The school could get in big time trouble if there happened to be a kid missing a lot but their parents refused to take them to the doctor. We have a lot of great and responsible parents here, but not every parent is that way. The school just has to be fair across the board to anyone who hit a certain number of absences.

Not disagreeing with you, I'm sure it's annoying. It was annoying when I sat in 30+ hours of make up class time for absences I had in high school, even WITH a doctors note. I'm just saying I see where the school is coming from.

Not saying it's right, but lots of federal funding is based on school attendance. When students have multiple absences for any reason, it can start to affect things other than just the student. Again, not saying it's fair, but that could be where the school is coming from.

Not saying it's right, but lots of federal funding is based on school attendance. When students have multiple absences for any reason, it can start to affect things other than just the student. Again, not saying it's fair, but that could be where the school is coming from.
And, our school is on block schedules. If you miss more than six days each semester, you owe "time for time" and have to spend Saturday in the school library. You have to be there at 7:00 am!

Sorry. I haven't been in any of the tents there so I don't know what those are like. Anyone have any experiences to share about how it is in the tents?

Here is a photo from the other Summit thread compliments of @russscarce:

4qiu0j.png

My CP's team competed in one of the tents (North maybe? doesn't matter---they are literally right next to each other) at UCA. She said being in a tent actually helped her because she was less intimidated by the lights/stage/crowd, etc. Sound was good. She saw Twinkles perform in the Milkhouse earlier in the day before she performed that evening so she had the "big" stage to compare the tent to. She said she wasn't disappointed that it was a tent, though I understand how some would be. The energy inside is amazing, regardless of location! If we were there again, I'd have no complaints. As a parent, seating was good, parents/gym allowed to go right up to stage if we wanted during performance and I wasn't freezing like inside the Milkhouse. Plus, tents were right next to an awesome variety of food trucks--looking on the bright side! Italian ice--yummy! Good luck and hope they do great!!!!!

Here is a photo from the other Summit thread compliments of @russscarce:

4qiu0j.png

My CP's team competed in one of the tents (North maybe? doesn't matter---they are literally right next to each other) at UCA. She said being in a tent actually helped her because she was less intimidated by the lights/stage/crowd, etc. Sound was good. She saw Twinkles perform in the Milkhouse earlier in the day before she performed that evening so she had the "big" stage to compare the tent to. She said she wasn't disappointed that it was a tent, though I understand how some would be. The energy inside is amazing, regardless of location! If we were there again, I'd have no complaints. As a parent, seating was good, parents/gym allowed to go right up to stage if we wanted during performance and I wasn't freezing like inside the Milkhouse. Plus, tents were right next to an awesome variety of food trucks--looking on the bright side! Italian ice--yummy! Good luck and hope they do great!!!!!

I agree with all of this. The tents are nice. As a parent you have a GREAT view of your kid...in the other venues you are may be really far away (can't remember which one requires you to stand behind the big empty VIP section--Milkhouse maybe??). Don't be disappointed about the tents...everyone is screaming and having tons of fun in there!!!

And, our school is on block schedules. If you miss more than six days each semester, you owe "time for time" and have to spend Saturday in the school library. You have to be there at 7:00 am!
Same here! We were on block scheduling and had 8 per class to miss, no matter what. (Doctors excuse, parent note, whatever) If you had an illness beyond that you had to go on homebound or intermittent homebound instruction. Anything beyond those 8 you had to do "time for time" in the school library or computer lab logged in to a program called Nova Net. It asked you questions related to the subject you missed. For example, if you went over by 2 classes in biology and 1 in english, you would owe 180 minutes on a Nova Net biology module and 90 on an english one. The Nova Net lab was open starting around the last month of school during 4th block through like 7pm and 8am - 3pm or so on Saturdays. I believe you had to pay for it too, but the cost wasn't too bad if you had only missed a few classes. Like $10 per module. It got worse of course for the people who had gone like 10 days over in all these random classes.

Nova Net sucked. So the district did their job of making kids come to school, haha. It's no coincidence that the one year I did not have any Nova Net time was my senior year, also the one year I didn't cheer allstars.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but at Summit last year I thought there was only one tent. Cp competed in it on day 2. I remember having some issues with mud outside of the venue, but it's all a blur at this point.
Cp felt it was the same as competing anywhere else. Never had a negative thing to say about the tent.

Back