All-Star Summit Bid Winners 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am not very knowledgeable about Summit, but I saw that Cheerupdates posted that the same gym (same location - not just the same gym name) can accept a bid for both regular and D2? That just seems ridiculous to me. Does anyone have more information on this?

I am not very knowledgeable about Summit, but I saw that Cheerupdates posted that the same gym (same location - not just the same gym name) can accept a bid for both regular and D2? That just seems ridiculous to me. Does anyone have more information on this?

Interesting... I think they can but not sure. Not at the same comp though, but they could accept a D2 bid at one comp and a regular summit at another...?

Can a Division II team receive a bid to The Summit taking place in Orlando?
Yes, each team must declare which bid they will be competing for at each event. You cannot compete for a Summit Bid and a D2 Summit Bid at the same event. You MUST declare before that event to which bid your team will be competing for, but you can have different teams competing for different bids at the same event.

Varsity All Star - D2 Summit FAQs

Interesting... does this help? I think they can but not sure.

Can a Division II team receive a bid to The Summit taking place in Orlando?
Yes, each team must declare which bid they will be competing for at each event. You cannot compete for a Summit Bid and a D2 Summit Bid at the same event. You MUST declare before that event to which bid your team will be competing for, but you can have different teams competing for different bids at the same event.

Varsity All Star - D2 Summit FAQs
Thanks - so reading this the same TEAM can go to both Summit and D2 Summit :confused:
That is just all kinds of wrong. Get it together Varsity......

I don't think they can go to both? But they can receive bids to both and then decide which one to pick? The comps are at the same time I think.

I think she means could go to either one they want to and try for each type of bid.

Honestly, I find this to be a bit ridiculous. If you're a D2 gym, then you're a D2 gym---if you're a D2 gym who wants to just be a D1 then go for D1 only, if you're a D1 gym well then sucks to be you, you're outta options. It honestly seems like more of a punishment to large programs than a helper to smaller ones.

That being said, the one gym I knew about in our area and a new one I just found out about are both going for D2, no clue about our gym but I don't think we qualify for D2 based on size, and no clue about the other one in the area. D2 is a lot more popular than I originally expected it to be.

I don't think they can go to both? But they can receive bids to both and then decide which one to pick? The comps are at the same time I think.
It's a little gray but it says the same team can't compete for a Summit and a D2 Summit at the same event, which leads me to believe a team could declare they are going for a regular Summit bid at one competition and a D2 bid at another. Not sure any team would want to do that, but the rule as it reads right now needs some clarification if there is no further explanation than what you posted. Even if the team can't go to both, it doesn't make sense to me that one gym can send teams to both competitions.

@quitthedrama @SL&AM

I'm not sure what I think but my initial reaction is: why is it wrong for a small gym to first get a D2 bid, then think "hey maybe we are good enough for the regular summit" and later on in the season go for a regular summit bid.

I think this is what our small gym would do. (pretty sure it won't happen though but you never know)

Thanks - so reading this the same TEAM can go to both Summit and D2 Summit :confused:
That is just all kinds of wrong. Get it together Varsity......
Technically that may be true, but logistically it would be a nightmare for the team considering the distance between the comps and they have no control over when they compete. It sounds like a loophole Varsity needs to address.

I think what Varsity is trying to say is if a team qualifies as a D2 team, they can go after D1 or D2 bids. I think the purpose is to allow smaller teams the option of trying for whichever bid they think they have the best shot at.

I'm not sure I like the option of D2 eligible gyms being able to jump between bid chances throughout the season. I think before the bid season starts, D2 gyms should state whether they are going for D1 or D2 bids and stick with it. Then again, I also think teams should declare which division they will be competing in and not be allowed to switch except for certain circumstances that are spelled out ahead of time.

@quitthedrama @SL&AM

I'm not sure what I think but my initial reaction is: why is it wrong for a small gym to first get a D2 bid, then think "hey maybe we are good enough for the regular summit" and later on in the season go for a regular summit bid.

I think this is what our small gym would do. (pretty sure it won't happen though but you never know)

What I dislike about this set up is that it pigeon holes larger programs because of their size and their size alone, while other programs are allowed to go back and forth as they see fit. I personally believe a gym should have to declare at the beginning of the season and that be what they go for that season. If you don't believe in yourself from the start, then that is it's own issue, but being able to go back and forth sounds like too much of a loophole to me.

What I dislike about this set up is that it pigeon holes larger programs because of their size and their size alone, while other programs are allowed to go back and forth as they see fit. I personally believe a gym should have to declare at the beginning of the season and that be what they go for that season. If you don't believe in yourself from the start, then that is it's own issue, but being able to go back and forth sounds like too much of a loophole to me.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one! I don't see why big gyms should be/feel disadvantaged by some small gyms not making their minds up about D2 or regular Summit. Regular Summit should be the best of the best and a small gym shouldn't be excluded just because they initially thought they only had a chance at D2.

Will be interesting to see how many situations like this we will have. I have no idea how many small gyms have placed well at the Summit in the past but there must be a few? And most of those will probably only go for regular bids I'm thinking.

As a Parent at a D2 gym, I don't think its a matter or "not believing in yourself" for a gym to decide to go D2. It's having realistic expectations and putting your kids in the best position to succeed. Is it not believing in yourself for a 1A football team to compete in the correct division for their size rather than attempting to compete with 7A schools? There is no way a gym of 80 kids should be competing with a gym of 300+ except in the rarest of circumstances where the talent in the gym warrants it.

I think competitions should be required to split D1 and D2 teams. The current system encourages mega gyms to come into small competitions and sweep all the divisions because when they are the only large gym, there is no split. The EP makes more money that way, and the gym gets to say they were first place, so it continues. There is a reason schools are divided into divisions by size for sports. A 1A school with 400 students cannot compete with a 7A school of 4000.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one! I don't see why big gyms should be/feel disadvantaged by some small gyms not making their minds up about D2 or regular Summit. Regular Summit should be the best of the best and a small gym shouldn't be excluded just because they initially thought they only had a chance at D2.

Will be interesting to see how many situations like this we will have. I have no idea how many small gyms have placed well at the Summit in the past but there must be a few? And most of those will probably only go for regular bids I'm thinking.

From what I remember last year, a lot of small programs did really well at the Summit.

Back