Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
Did anyone else know about this?

So for all the people who don't care if cheerleading is called a sport, if we are not a sport (and therefor bring nothing to the table outside of spirit leading) what is the point of colleges continuing to put the insurance risk out there if there is no benefit from it?

Another sign college cheer dies slowly.

Let's look at this another way using Mr Del Conte's football example:

I'm not saying we don't choose to participate in football at the highest level, but we're just not going to allow our team to throw any passes this year because the receiver could be hurt and we don't think that would be prudent to do.

Nebraska is the same way. A few years ago a cheerleader fell off a pyramid and was paralyzed I think and the school hasnt let them stunt or tumble since

If there was a College level Competitive Cheer governing body, that was recognized by the NCAA then they would be able to help represent the teams for stuff like this.

Between Alabama's rings, UCLB's cheating and this (plus many other issues), it's about time the College level of this sport starts to organize and change.

I agree, somewhat, with SharkDad. But I'm not into this STUNT or NCATA thing. I think some type of college cheer governing body needs to exsist to do a few things, but when it comes down to it, college cheerleading is not allstars. College cheer does not exsist to compete. That is something most college squads decide on their own and fund themselves. Now maybe cheerleaders should take a stand and not cheer on the college level until something changes, I don't see much happening. All my years working in cheerleading and the thing I see least often are injuries due to baskets. Maybe thats me being paranoid and overly cautious but still...

I think a governing body would be great but who would listen to it? Most college cheer squads are simply support groups that do not bring in money to the athletic department so whats the point for them to fund one?

Cheerleading on the college level is a performance activity more than it is a sport simply because most colleges spend the majority of their time on the sidelines. Do I want that to change? Yes. Do I want it to change into something similar or the same as STUNT or NCATA - HECK NO!

Disclaimer: I want college cheerleading to survive and thrive, but I think it needs to be a good mix of sideline cheer and competition. College is not allstars.

@hiyoe6 I understand what you are saying, but the current state of cheerleading will always allow this type of treatment.

Even the most supported College teams: HPU, UK, UofL, etc. are not more than school activities. Some get more support from booster clubs or student organizations, but not given sport status. STUNT got a lot of participants, although much of that was subsidized to get it started.

NCATA has developed a format that athletic departments and the participating schools supports. They get get full athletic status, including tutoring, scholarships, recruiting, equipment and travel expenses.

I'd like to think that there is a middle ground the college coaches and athletes can come up with including the best aspects of both formats.

Nebraska is the same way. A few years ago a cheerleader fell off a pyramid and was paralyzed I think and the school hasnt let them stunt or tumble since
I think that is a GREAT example of why tryouts are much harder these days.
The less experience you have, the more you are enabled to be injured or to injure someone else.

And lemme tell ya, my parents would NEVER let me stunt if they had heard that.

Is cheerleading dangerous? I think we all know the answer to that. I mean could you fall off a pyramid and get paralyzed, of course. But could you be tackled in a football play and land wrong and be paralyzed, I'm sure its possible. The fact that cheerleaders get treated any different then any other sport in college is horrible. You chose to compete at the highest level in football, and because there is a cheer team and the coach obviously chooses to compete at the highest level you need to take the risks that are associated.

I agree with @SharkDad and that there needs to be some sort of governing body. That way when cheerleaders are put in these situations there is someone to represent them and right the wrong that is being made.
No one would ever tell a football team they can play at the highest level but they can't do certain plays or tackles because they are more dangerous than others, and if that was the case a stop would be put to it very fast.

Cheerleading is a sport but not because its dangerous because its alot of work! How dangerous a sport is doesnt make it sny more or less of a sport, cheerleading should be a sport because we put in JUST as much work as football players or basketball players or any other sport! Cheerleading requires stretching, conditioning, stamina, just like every other sport!

And also i think it is so unfair to not let a TCU do baskets! thats like saying to football players you can play football, but instead you have to used stuffed animals because the football is too hard...ITS JUST OUTRAGEOUS!! not being able to do a basket is just stupid and unfair!! oh well i hope they change it for them!

Back