All-Star Tcu Not Allowed To Perform Baskets At Nca Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Possible that their athletic director is aware of the NCAA insurance policy and knows his University would be liable without the purchase of an additional insurance policy. Since competing is not about the skill sets and merely a crowd leading "activity", it is very possible he agrees, and therefore, his interpretation is that a basket toss is not necessary to lead the crowd.

I would hope that's not the reason. The legal stipulation form the court case last year was that cheer"leading" was primarily distinguished as a crowd leading activity because it supports another team. The primary function of a varsity sport would not be to support any other team activities. The court case acknowledged that competitive cheer (notice "leading" is absent) was obviously a sport activity but had to fix the other problems before being officially recognized as a sport by OCR, title IX and the NCAA.

I would hope that's not the reason. The legal stipulation form the court case last year was that cheer"leading" was primarily distinguished as a crowd leading activity because it supports another team. The primary function of a varsity sport would not be to support any other team activities. The court case acknowledged that competitive cheer (notice "leading" is absent) was obviously a sport activity but had to fix the other problems before being officially recognized as a sport by OCR, title IX and the NCAA.

I don't think you understand, or possibly I don't understand your response. Why does the court case have anything to do with an athletic director not allowing skills in competition or on the sideline? What legal stipulation? The NCAA ONLY insures the activity and skills (also with restrictions) of cheerleading during games. The NCAA stopped insuring sideline cheerleading for the practice of competition and competition itself somewhere around 2005/2006. Their reason for stopping the coverage to compete was all about catastrophic injuries. Simply put, any sideline cheerleading team that competes should be purchasing a separate policy or they are not covered by the NCAA. Simply put, any compete only club team needs to buy their own insurance. Simply put, all the Varsity status teams had to puchase their own policy but it was necessary not just by their purpose (no leading) but because even if sideline in name...NO team is covered to practice/compete by the NCAA. Shaking poms, holding signs, and band dances do not cause catastrophic injuries. 2.5 high pyramids, basket tosses, stunts, and tumbling do. Most of the afore mentioned are not allowed on unmatted surfaces by the NCAA. The only place really needed to utilize these skills is on scoresheets. So therefore, I would hope his logic was to protect the liability of his University and the health of his athletes if they did not receive the budget to purchase the necessary insurance to compete.

I gotcha, I guess I assumed they had been practicing and competing elsewhere before nationals and AD was suddenly using insurance as an excuse (i.e. Misusing the definition of crowd leading vs competing).

Your post makes sense now and I learned a little more about how that insurance coverage works.

I gotcha, I guess I assumed they had been practicing and competing elsewhere before nationals and AD was suddenly using insurance as an excuse (i.e. Misusing the definition of crowd leading vs competing).

Your post makes sense now and I learned a little more about how that insurance coverage works.

Glad to help clarify. Webb testified that the components of both UCA and NCA collegiate competition were mainly crowd leading. So who is misleading who? Why are those "crowdleading" components he testified to not covered for competition by the NCAA but covered on the sideline by NCAA?

Back