High School Team Attitudes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 23, 2010
Im at a new high school this year and I joined the cheer team. My coach is very old fashioned and favors 2 of our 3 captains.

These 2 captains get away with anything they want. They can come to practice late and pretty much do whatever. They cheat on conditioning, bail out of stunts, one of them flies when she very clearly should not, and they are ALWAYS the front of formations. every. single. time.

Ive cheered for an allstar gym for 8 years, and these girls haven't. Ive just had more experience than them, and at the risk of sounding high and mighty, have been performing for much longer at a much higher level.

For some reason, these two girls are unbelievably rude to me. Its always passive aggressive, little digs and comments that are almost always said in front of the coach. The comments are always in regards to how much I obsess over cheerleading, or something Ive said during that days/the day before's practice.

Theyve made me completely hate a sport I adore. I cant go to my coach about this because she favors them. Im at a loss for what to do, and I dont want to quit in the middle of the season because two bratty girls didnt like me.

Help ):

I'm sorry that these girls made you hate cheerleading. It may be very hard to talk to your coach about it since she favors them but maybe let her know that you feel like these girls are not helping out the team because she is the only one who can change it. Those two girls that are rude to you, should not be captains. You should also let the coach know that you feel like they aren't being leaders or role models.

I am sorry this is happening to you. :( Almost this same thing happened last year with my girls when I was the head coach. I didn't favor anyone, it was just the seniors and captains that brought the whole team down instead of being leaders. It was awful because the team had so much talent, but they were barely acting as a team. Which lead to a very unsuccessful season.
If I were you, I would try and talk to the head coach first. I know you said she favors the captains, but something has to be done and she is the one who ultimately is responsible for fixing it. Also I would mention it to the athletic director as well. That way when the A.D. goes to talk to your coach, she won't be blind sighted about the problem. What I wouldn't do is have your parents talk to the coach. Coming from experience, it is the athlete who is on the team, not the parents. Especially being in high school, going to your coach directly with the problem is the most mature way to try and fix this.

I know things must seem very hard right now and you have already thought about quitting. But try and stick it out for the rest of the season. Believe it or not, having a rough season is a blessing in disguise. It teaches the returning girls how important teamwork really is, and how much the seniors/captains affect the whole team. And in the end, the girls will definitely be able to understand the knowledge you have about cheerleading and the love you have for it!

Well I hope this helps you! And keep your head up!

this is similar to me there's two captains who i have too and all they do is scream at us and make us condition if were not listening to her. its so aggravating and i hate it. maybe ask them nicely to be a little nicer to them and if they want to win as much as you do then they should show it and not slack off.

Back