Team Mates Quitting!?!?!?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 18, 2012
ok so we had a team with about 17 people and we had 3 people join before comps started. we now have 20 people on the team and have had two comps already and now 2 people quit the team. a backspot and a base. we have another competition next week and just changed out routine last night and they quit!! everyone has been really stressed now and we dont know what to do. any advice?!?! me and my team are going crazy!!! :eek:

Team Bonding is very important and gym owners and sometimes coaches don't see how necessary it is. Teams that play together stay together. No one quit the first team my CP was on. We had fun bonding events. We didn't always win but we had fun and when we won it was a whole lot more rewarding.

This exact same thing happened to our team, except we lost SO many people. We started with 27 people I believe, and now we have 20, and that's with 3 or 4 new people that joined.

What y'all should be doing is having a lot of team bonding. Even if you set aside 15 minutes at the end of practice like, once a week, just to talk and get to know each other. We went out to dinner, had a secret santa exchange and it brought us so much closer just doing that. We've had so many people quit and we've changed our routine so many times before competitions. When you think about it though, if people are quitting, they aren't as serious about the sport, and then you lose a lot of negative people on your team. After these people quit, yeah, you're upset, but you also need to know that it's for the good of the team, and y'all will do so much better! So know that you have a better team, but to keep from losing more people, have team bonding and include everyone! It might not keep people from quitting, but it will greatly reduce it. :)

The same thing happened to my semi-pro team! We had a team bonding day and talked about everyone's conflicts to make it so no more girls would quit. Having that bonding/sleepover day at the gym really brought our team together since all of us came from different backgrounds and experience levels. I hope no one else quits form your team!

What are the coaches saying about the team dynamics? Do you know why those who left quit?. As others have said team bonding is very important! Almost every one has had the thought of quiting a team at some point, and what usually keeps them there is the kids on the team or the coaches. Someone needs to figure out something asap. Do yall have a team mom/rep you can get with to see if he/she can coordinate something?

Follow all the advise of team bonding & find out why people are quitting, and try to see if you can fix the problem. For example, one girl on my squad was upset because she was always in the back due to poor jumps. So we put her in the back for a jump sequence and then moved so other people could get the chance in the front. I also volunteered to be moved to the back because I am one of coach's favorites so I'm ALWAYS in the front.

Use problem-solving and compromising like this to keep girls happy & wanting to stay on the squad:)

My team is really close now, but we weren't always. In the past few years, we've tried to do a lot more bonding (like others have said), even if it's just a diner trip after practice. Also, I remember when I was younger on the team, the older girls were not so nice to us, so we didn't feel like we belonged. Now though, we're always really nice to the younger girls, because we all remember how it felt being left out. I don't know if you or your coach has noticed, but little tense things like that can really make or break a team dynamic.

Latest posts

Back