All-Star Team Moms at gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

C

CheerandmoreCheer

If this topic has been discussed to death, forgive the redundancy. I'm new here and just started reading the boards. I am curious what your team moms roles are in your gyms and whether you like having an active team mom or not. I'm a new team mom and just want to do my best to help the team. I have heard other team moms could be too pushy but on the other extreme, didn't do enough. Any examples of some good team moms out there and what they do that help your team? Thank you!

I love the team moms at our gym!!! The main thing our team moms do are spirit gifts. Each competition, they come up with a new spirit gift. In past years, we've had team moms come up with things like snack bags all the way to customized bags for us to bring to competitions. Also, the team moms are the people we need to check in with as soon as we get to the competition/hotel whether it's by texting her, calling her, or going to see her. I love an active team mom! One year, we had a team dad who was awesome too!!

Me too lol! our team moms emails everyone and lets us know whenever practice changes, and gives information about the comps (including schedule), b/c our coaches are super busy. She also makes us practice bows, which everyone loves:)

I know mstealtoyou is a team mom at cea. She's an amazing person, so I know she's an amazing team mom. Hopefully she'll get on here and let you in on a few of her "tricks of the trade"

NJ Coach said:
I know mstealtoyou is a team mom at cea. She's an amazing person, so I know she's an amazing team mom. Hopefully she'll get on here and let you in on a few of her "tricks of the trade"

Msteal is an amazing team mom. We are always informed and she is very organized!

Great thoughts so far. I'd love some specific ideas because I'm not all that creative. What kind of spirit gifts for instance?

I can tell you my daughter still calls her first team mom at cea... Mom! and that was 5 years ago!! And I know I can walk up to MissTeal at a comp and ask her for pretty much anything and she will have it in her bag!!

Jen, Kim and Jay your check is in the mail. My paid spokespeople are working overtime today. LOL (Thank you y'all are so sweet!)

I admit I have been mentored by some of the best team mom's at our gym. Christy and Ashley. Without their guidance I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing! Also my friend Kathie is the craftiest person I know and frequently comes to my rescue making me look fabulous to my teams without any of the glory.

My honest advice is to love the kids on your team like they were your own. Everything else will fall into place. I couldn't possibly list all the tricks of the trade in 1 post but if you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to PM me. I'm not sure how much help I'd be but I have been doing it a long time and if nothing else I've figured out what doesn't work.

MSTEALTOYOU! girl Your an amazing team mom!! I know we have a pretty awesome team mom for lime and she is wigbcheer and she does an amazing job for our kids! Not just the Lime kids but she is kinda like the gym mom and really helps everyone!!

I think the best thing a team Mom can do is ALWAYS be INFORMATIVE. Our team mom text about practice time changes, meet times for competitions, placements at competitions, changes on the teams. Our team mom anticipates events and plans for them. Our team mom can CALM riots, DOubts and FEARS with the kids and the Crazy Parents. It's crazy but there is NO such thing as TOO MUCH INFO in this Cheer World, and a TEAM MOM JOB is CRAZY! I will never be one LOL but I LOVE OUR TEAM MOM!

I am wondering how do you pay for the spirit gifts? Is the gym giving you the money, or are you spending your own?

Donations from parents and I do spend alot of my own money on my teams. Don't tell my hubby.

It's not about the gifts as much as just letting your team know they are loved and appreciated and that being on your particular team is something special. My gifts for my Youth 2 team many years ago is just as good as my Youth 5 gifts this year. Every kid should feel they are on the best team in the gym. I try and do that every year!

It also helps you when have an owner/staff that actually appreciates what you do as a team mom. There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into it but I love every minute of it!

mstealtoyou said:
Jen, Kim and Jay your check is in the mail. My paid spokespeople are working overtime today. LOL (Thank you y'all are so sweet!)

I admit I have been mentored by some of the best team mom's at our gym. Christy and Ashley. Without their guidance I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing! Also my friend Kathie is the craftiest person I know and frequently comes to my rescue making me look fabulous to my teams without any of the glory.

My honest advice is to love the kids on your team like they were your own. Everything else will fall into place. I couldn't possibly list all the tricks of the trade in 1 post but if you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to PM me. I'm not sure how much help I'd be but I have been doing it a long time and if nothing else I've figured out what doesn't work.
That's great advice. Someone they can go to if they need something or have an issue. I may just PM you with some specifics along the way. Sounds like you are really loved.

Back