All-Star Team Moms at gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our team moms are the liasons between the owners, coaches, and team...They send out emails from Tara (owner) as well as from the coaches, organize team events, make calls, and for the younger teams, make gift bags for competitions etc.. They do such a thankless job..

I feel like my parents and the staff are very appreciative and that makes doing it easier. It's not necessarily hard as it is time consuming.

I have also gotten to know SOOO many kids that probably never would have crossed my radar otherwise and I'm thankful for that. I never claim to be the best team mom but I do love my kids and I think in the end they love me. Mission accomplished.

(Plus I have found that happy kids make for happy parents! Always a plus!) HEHE

Happy kids do equal happy parents which equal happy gym coaches! lol

So, any good thoughts on what NOT to do?

I wish that they were required to stay at nearly all the practices, so that when they have a closed practice, I have another opinion about either how practice went, or there is someone at the practice who can answer questions as they come up. By the time I get home to shoot an email to the team mom it is generally the next day. And I don't think about it again until it is time for practice..... does this make sense, sorry.

MotherNature said:
I wish that they were required to stay at nearly all the practices, so that when they have a closed practice, I have another opinion about either how practice went, or there is someone at the practice who can answer questions as they come up. By the time I get home to shoot an email to the team mom it is generally the next day. And I don't think about it again until it is time for practice..... does this make sense, sorry.
That makes sense. I would guess that for younger kids the moms would mostly be at practice but maybe not if they had a cheerleader that drives, on older teams. That probably is the best way to get to know your team though , at practices. Well, unless at your gym your parents don't stay around often. We were at one gym that no one ever seemed to stay. Then when we moved to a new city, at the new gym, seems like a lot of people stay.

Missy is my team mom and I don't cheer at CEA. Super mom is probably a title that's better fitting. If I'm at a competition up here in Columbus I know I can count on Missy to ask all the details and make sure how me or my girls did!

CheerandmoreCheer said:
Great thoughts so far. I'd love some specific ideas because I'm not all that creative. What kind of spirit gifts for instance?

I will give you some examples of things I am doing this year. For our Youth Dallas bags me and another mom on the team are doing pillowcases. Name embroidered on the end between the seam of the flap and the edge. Then right above the seam we are sewing black ribbon with white polka dots. The name in Teal and the pillowcase in white. (I did a trial run of these last year........Sam and Katie got 1.they turned out cute so I decided to use it) 2 white pillowcases at Wal Mart in a pack for $6. A $3 roll of ribbon will do 5 pillowcases. We split the cost so it's not been that terrible. For my other team I am doing their Bags for Battle at the Beach.....so we are doing teal towels with their names in White. Probably some cheapy black flip flops with rhinestones glued on. Also cheapy black or white sunglasses with rhinestones on the arms of the glasses. I think they will turn out very cute. Ask for donations from parents either monetary or donations of stuff to put into the bags.

Last year I did black drawstring bags with the kids name on it in teal. Asked for donations from parents and they ended up with great bags.

3 years ago on Youth 2 I did 10 inch plastic white megaphones...put indy pack snacks and candy's in it.......used silver paint pen and put their name's on them, youth 2 and the year, then decorated around it in silver, black and teal paint pens. This is time consuming because it takes a little while for the paint to dry. After they are dry I wrapped them up with clear plastic.....think Easter Basket wrapping......then used lots of curling ribbon in our colors and curled the ends. I think I did that for Jr Coed 3 too one year and both teams loved them.

Days when the whole team dresses alike hand out ribbons or make bows for the teams. During summer when we are having lots of skills camps it's not always easy to find the time to do bows but cutting ribbon and handing them out so the team matches. It looks great and you've made the kids happy with very little money or effort really. Matching team ribbons can also go into gift bags.

Fleece blankets. I've never made these before but my kids have received them and loved them. Cut 2 pieces of fleece in your team colors and lay them on top of each other. Cut tassles in each side about 1 inch apart. Now tie a bottom and top tassle together. Go all the way around. You can also do this with 1 layer of fleece and cut little "buttonholes" equally around all sides and tie matching grosgrain ribbon all the way around.

I have done Christmas ornaments for my team for a few years now and it's not that expensive and they look really nice. WalMart had 14 silver balls for $2.50 Write their names in Black pain pen.......tie a thin red ribbon around the top and voila. LOL I think I did both my teams for about $22 this year.

I year a Mt Airy parent did little cow bells that they painted in our colors and put the kids names on. Those turned out really cute and are useful to make noise when your teams are onstage.

Have each girl bring a 100% cotton white sports bra and tie dye them in your team colors. The lady that was team mom for Youth Elite earlier in the season did those and I thought it was 1 of our cuter outfits. You could tie dye socks for them to match too.

I make cupcakes quite a bit. It's actually a joke among my online friends because I do it pretty often. LMAO Just a small way to give a smile.

Our gym motto is Success Is From the Heart so we just take that and run with it. Alot of the things we do are heart related. I just got finished doing red chocolate heart suckers for all my kids teams and I found these pack of 24 heart ornaments at Walmart. (Can you tell I have walmart's close to me? LMAO) Each kid get's one so they'll remember that they are loved. (The hearts are like for little christmas trees.....they are red with silver string) Very cute yet inexpensive.

I am always on the lookout for things to do for my team. If you see something you think would be cute go ahead and start stocking up. You never know when it'll come in handy.

Hope that helped some. I can't think of anything else. Wish our other team mom's came on here and told about their bags. Our Worlds team's have had some kick bootay bags the last few years.

I love my team moms.. I even volunteered once to be one for one of my own daughters teams and was told I was not quailfied for the position.. Turns out they were right. CEA team moms could write a book, and should.. They're a well-oiled machine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

team moms seriously run the gym.
they take care of all the kids, coaches and parents needs. usually the parents have to talk to a team mom before they talk to a coach..just because sometimes parents need to see it from another persons perspective before they talk to a coach.
i loveeeee all the ga team moms :)

mstealtoyou said:
CheerandmoreCheer said:
Great thoughts so far. I'd love some specific ideas because I'm not all that creative. What kind of spirit gifts for instance?

I will give you some examples of things I am doing this year. For our Youth Dallas bags me and another mom on the team are doing pillowcases. Name embroidered on the end between the seam of the flap and the edge. Then right above the seam we are sewing black ribbon with white polka dots. The name in Teal and the pillowcase in white. (I did a trial run of these last year........Sam and Katie got 1.they turned out cute so I decided to use it) 2 white pillowcases at Wal Mart in a pack for $6. A $3 roll of ribbon will do 5 pillowcases. We split the cost so it's not been that terrible. For my other team I am doing their Bags for Battle at the Beach.....so we are doing teal towels with their names in White. Probably some cheapy black flip flops with rhinestones glued on. Also cheapy black or white sunglasses with rhinestones on the arms of the glasses. I think they will turn out very cute. Ask for donations from parents either monetary or donations of stuff to put into the bags.

Last year I did black drawstring bags with the kids name on it in teal. Asked for donations from parents and they ended up with great bags.

3 years ago on Youth 2 I did 10 inch plastic white megaphones...put indy pack snacks and candy's in it.......used silver paint pen and put their name's on them, youth 2 and the year, then decorated around it in silver, black and teal paint pens. This is time consuming because it takes a little while for the paint to dry. After they are dry I wrapped them up with clear plastic.....think Easter Basket wrapping......then used lots of curling ribbon in our colors and curled the ends. I think I did that for Jr Coed 3 too one year and both teams loved them.

Days when the whole team dresses alike hand out ribbons or make bows for the teams. During summer when we are having lots of skills camps it's not always easy to find the time to do bows but cutting ribbon and handing them out so the team matches. It looks great and you've made the kids happy with very little money or effort really. Matching team ribbons can also go into gift bags.

Fleece blankets. I've never made these before but my kids have received them and loved them. Cut 2 pieces of fleece in your team colors and lay them on top of each other. Cut tassles in each side about 1 inch apart. Now tie a bottom and top tassle together. Go all the way around. You can also do this with 1 layer of fleece and cut little "buttonholes" equally around all sides and tie matching grosgrain ribbon all the way around.

I have done Christmas ornaments for my team for a few years now and it's not that expensive and they look really nice. WalMart had 14 silver balls for $2.50 Write their names in Black pain pen.......tie a thin red ribbon around the top and voila. LOL I think I did both my teams for about $22 this year.

I year a Mt Airy parent did little cow bells that they painted in our colors and put the kids names on. Those turned out really cute and are useful to make noise when your teams are onstage.

Have each girl bring a 100% cotton white sports bra and tie dye them in your team colors. The lady that was team mom for Youth Elite earlier in the season did those and I thought it was 1 of our cuter outfits. You could tie dye socks for them to match too.

I make cupcakes quite a bit. It's actually a joke among my online friends because I do it pretty often. LMAO Just a small way to give a smile.

Our gym motto is Success Is From the Heart so we just take that and run with it. Alot of the things we do are heart related. I just got finished doing red chocolate heart suckers for all my kids teams and I found these pack of 24 heart ornaments at Walmart. (Can you tell I have walmart's close to me? LMAO) Each kid get's one so they'll remember that they are loved. (The hearts are like for little christmas trees.....they are red with silver string) Very cute yet inexpensive.

I am always on the lookout for things to do for my team. If you see something you think would be cute go ahead and start stocking up. You never know when it'll come in handy.

Hope that helped some. I can't think of anything else. Wish our other team mom's came on here and told about their bags. Our Worlds team's have had some kick bootay bags the last few years.

Ummm you are amazing! =)

I second that AMAZING! WOW! Thank you so much, MsTeal, for all the great ideas! You really gave me some great ideas to work with and I will sure do the heart ideas right away with Valentine's Day coming up. I can see I have alot of work to do but I think the kids are worth every minute.

gaallstarsduh said:
team moms seriously run the gym.
they take care of all the kids, coaches and parents needs. usually the parents have to talk to a team mom before they talk to a coach..just because sometimes parents need to see it from another persons perspective before they talk to a coach.
i loveeeee all the ga team moms :)
That is a good point because it seems it could help diffuse a situation before someone gets worked up over nothing. The coaches are still available if they're needed, but maybe another mom who's objective can be a great starting point of discussion.

Such great ideas! I'd love to do some of this for my team but it's coed....any ideas for the boys??? I don't think they'd appreciate the cutsie pillowcases LOL =)

Back