All-Star Team Unity...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 13, 2013
Brand new season has kicked off to a great start! I would truly love it if you would share your favorite team bonding activities, games, ideas etc. I really want to have my teams comfortable with one another. Some already know each other but we have a few that are new and i want this whole program to be a close-knit family. We really want everyone to get along, be happy and know that any person on the mat would be there for them no matter what.

:)

For about the first month we have "circle time" at the beginning of practice. We go around the circle saying your name and the we have them answer different questions each practice (e.i. Favorite ice cream, what you want to when you grow up, what school you go to and what grade). Or we play a game where you go around the circle saying your names and you have to repeat everyone's name that went before you. Both are easy and only take a few minutes.

Don't know how old your teams are but the group chat that started (basically the second my sons team was announced) has been quite the bonding agent. The kids themselves started it but that chat has essentially gone non stop since the team formed.

It's good because most of these kids only see each other at practice because so much of the team drive quite a way to get there. But they've all gotten to know each other from the constant chatter and from day one have been holding each other accountable for working at home between practices.

It's been really neat to watch but I think the best thing is that it's all kid driven. The coach popped in once for a short time (probably just to let them know she was monitoring...or could be if needed ;) ) but they all are already getting to know each other and are so excited about beach camp (which we've heard is both amazingly fun and completely brutal) where they'll actually get to spend an extended period of time together. The groupme chat is a good warm up, but beach camp is apparently where they all get super glue "bonded" together.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I have hosted team bonding events several times. The most successful was the "amazing race". I have a quiet neighborhood with great neighbors and they let me hide items on their property (cheer related things like bows, shoes, etc). We had each stunt group as a team and they had to do a "task" in order to get a clue. The clue told them what to find and the general area to find it. The first team to finish the race won a prize like gym tshirts. We had a pot luck dinner afterwards where everyone brought their favorite food and the team had to guess who brought what. This event is best jr and sr teams. The kids had a blast and some of the tasks were hard and they really had to work together to complete them.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Don't know how old your teams are but the group chat that started (basically the second my sons team was announced) has been quite the bonding agent. The kids themselves started it but that chat has essentially gone non stop since the team formed.

It's good because most of these kids only see each other at practice because so much of the team drive quite a way to get there. But they've all gotten to know each other from the constant chatter and from day one have been holding each other accountable for working at home between practices.

It's been really neat to watch but I think the best thing is that it's all kid driven. The coach popped in once for a short time (probably just to let them know she was monitoring...or could be if needed ;) ) but they all are already getting to know each other and are so excited about beach camp (which we've heard is both amazingly fun and completely brutal) where they'll actually get to spend an extended period of time together. The groupme chat is a good warm up, but beach camp is apparently where they all get super glue "bonded" together.

The only bad part about this is anyone without an iPhone can't participate and feels left out.

The only bad part about this is anyone without an iPhone can't participate and feels left out.
Well, they can but it blows up they're texts because its non stop. However they all have FB, twitter, iPhones Etc and I think have virtually linked up the whole team at this point. This is why I advocate (and write dissertations about) classroom technology. Kids don't communicate the way their teachers did but that's a soapbox for another day ;)

I have hosted team bonding events several times. The most successful was the "amazing race". I have a quiet neighborhood with great neighbors and they let me hide items on their property (cheer related things like bows, shoes, etc). We had each stunt group as a team and they had to do a "task" in order to get a clue. The clue told them what to find and the general area to find it. The first team to finish the race won a prize like gym tshirts. We had a pot luck dinner afterwards where everyone brought their favorite food and the team had to guess who brought what. This event is best jr and sr teams. The kids had a blast and some of the tasks were hard and they really had to work together to complete them.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Absolutely love this idea! It sound like something fun to do even with your friends for a Saturday afternoon.

It all really depends on what is in your area, and how time consuming and expensive you want the activities to be. Here are some fun things I've done with all sorts of groups over the years:

• Roller/Ice Skating
  • Laser Tag
  • Trampoline House/Moon Bounce House
  • Paint Your Own Pottery
  • Picnic at a local park
  • Zoo or Aquarium
  • Lock In
  • Bowling
  • Pool Party (these are usually really fun)
  • Tubing down the river (if you live near a river that this is done on)
  • Amusement Park (These get a little complicated, especially if not everyone likes to ride rides. It kind of defeats the purpose of bonding if three people are sitting alone all day)

Well, they can but it blows up they're texts because its non stop. However they all have FB, twitter, iPhones Etc and I think have virtually linked up the whole team at this point. This is why I advocate (and write dissertations about) classroom technology. Kids don't communicate the way their teachers did but that's a soapbox for another day ;)

My old phone couldn't receive texts from a group MMS. It wasn't a "smart" phone. They just came through as blank picture messages.

Our team did a scavenger hunt a few years back, basically we had to go around town in a group and find certain objects, buildings, statues, etc. and get pictures with them! It was a race to see which group finished first, it was a lot of fun! Also, group chats are really fun, definitely get to bond with your team in a very unique way!

One practice we had everyone on the team bring a plain white tee shirt and we had them draw their name on the back. Then we had each team member write a little special something on every team members shirt... Kind of like how you would sign a cast or yearbook. Then we would have certain practices where everyone wore their shirts.

I love gym sleepovers and I love picnics and pool party's but honestly the quickest and best experiences I have had with team bonding is at away competitions. My last year cheering my senior team took a bus trip to Sandusky (to the 'very scary challenge') and all the athletes HAD to travel together and our team of 20 something split two suites side by side. It was by far the fastest way I have ever seen a team come together

Back