All-Star The Bump/pouf

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

^^ok, that definitely makes more sense! I mean, I know orthodontic braces can be dangerous...but it's not like you can just take them off for 2:30!

I'm picturing a guy walking around the mat after each performance, waving a stick with a magnet attached to the end over the mat like a metal detector.
I just got the funniest mental picture of a guy wearing a full magnetic bodysuit, just rolling around on the mat like a hyperactive child, hoping to pick up some bobby pins.

All metal clips including bobby pins are illegal in high school cheer. They literally had inspectors before you took the mat.

In Missouri, we were allowed to use Bobby pins but not clips (at least when I was cheering). We had to use Bobby pins because it was illegal for our hair to touch our shoulders/face and all of our hair had to be pinned to our head. If even one curl (we curled our hair because it was easier to pin down) touched our face/neck it was a deduction of some kind, I don't remember the exact number. I had a bob so this was really hard to me to do, but we made it work. I think they've done away with these rules now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never had my hair checked, but we were checked for hair ties, nails, jewelry, and metal braces!

I think when I cheered in high school, 2009 and 2010, we weren't allowed to use clips. We were only allowed to use bobby pins for some reason!

In Missouri, we were allowed to use Bobby pins but not clips (at least when I was cheering). We had to use Bobby pins because it was illegal for our hair to touch our shoulders/face and all of our hair had to be pinned to our head. If even one curl (we curled our hair because it was easier to pin down) touched our face/neck it was a deduction of some kind, I don't remember the exact number. I had a bob so this was really hard to me to do, but we made it work. I think they've done away with these rules now.

Way back when I competed at Europeans, it was the same. Everyones head was searched for bobbypins, and if you didn't have any it was written down, so you couldn't get any deductions for them. After that we were checked for nail length and piercings. They also checked for visible tattoos (because those weren't allowed there either) and appropriate skirt length.

That is intense! What was the reasoning behind it? No number of bobby pins keeps my hair from touching my face, I've tried haha

Is it still illegal to have visible tattoos?

That is intense! What was the reasoning behind it? No number of bobby pins keeps my hair from touching my face, I've tried haha

Is it still illegal to have visible tattoos?

We never had any girls with tattoos so I'm not sure, and as far as the rationale...beats me haha. It was annoying and I believe they've eased up on the rules since then! We had to pin each curl individually to our head, our girls with short hair (me) struggled and our girls with super long/thick hair struggled. Somehow we were able to make it all work though!

We never had any girls with tattoos so I'm not sure, and as far as the rationale...beats me haha. It was annoying and I believe they've eased up on the rules since then! We had to pin each curl individually to our head, our girls with short hair (me) struggled and our girls with super long/thick hair struggled. Somehow we were able to make it all work though!

Couldn't teams just have buns instead of ponytails, I can't grasp how you could pin all your hair up!

Couldn't teams just have buns instead of ponytails, I can't grasp how you could pin all your hair up!

Some teams did do buns ,but our coach didn't like the look of them because she thought it looked messy and less "competition ready"

We did lots of hair checks after warm ups, and if even one curl was loose we'd pin it down with like three Bobby pins haha. The deductions were steep for stupid stuff like that.

Some teams did do buns ,but our coach didn't like the look of them because she thought it looked messy and less "competition ready"

We did lots of hair checks after warm ups, and if even one curl was loose we'd pin it down with like three Bobby pins haha. The deductions were steep for stupid stuff like that.

One time we got 16 points in deductions for our tops coming up and showing our stomach.... On a team of 14 girls... Okay Missouri :cool:

One time we got 16 points in deductions for our tops coming up and showing our stomach.... On a team of 14 girls... Okay Missouri :cool:

Oh my gosh...no...that's insane. Do you know if that was before or after they redid the scoresheets?

Oh my gosh...no...that's insane. Do you know if that was before or after they redid the scoresheets?

It was the first year without the bonus points, my sophomore year, so 2012. I'm not sure when they redid the scoresheet!

How on earth does anyone see a bobby pin fly out?? Those things are so tiny. I do always throw them off the mats though if I find them cos I don't want to put a hand on them tumbling.
I have a picture of my cp and her teammate hugging each other in delirium after hitting a great routine back when they were about 10. If you look closely at the picture you can actually see a bobby pin flying mid air from one of their heads.

Back