OT The Dance Moms Thread!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you on team Abby or team Kelly

• Total voters
I liked how they showed the judges saying their critiques for the audience. Those are pretty good representations of what dance comp critiques sound like, except only they talk to the dance so if it's a video critique they say stuff like "straighten your knees" right as you're doing the part where your knees aren't straight, etc. What I've found too is that just cause a judge gushes about how great you are, doesn't mean they will score you high, and just cause they pick apart your technique doesn't mean you'll score low - just like how they gave Maddie a lot more corrections than the others, when in fact Maddie won and the others didn't place.

I thought Maddie's dance last night was really great. I thought the group dance was not good. The costuming on this show is getting so cheesy. It was a lot better in the earlier seasons.

I think I've literally seen 5 episodes of this show in the past 3 seasons, so I'll defer to you guys' expertise on this one. [emoji12]

I'm ashamed to admit that I've watched from the start. However, since Chloe left, I have only watched the current stuff through free viewings so that my money and view count doesn't add to the madness.

I don't think children should quit something that they love just because they aren't the best at it, but I also don't think its a good to keep kids like that in a highly competitive environment w/ an agressive coach who expects a level of perfection that the child clearly does not have the talent to produce. That's just going to lead to lots of unnecessary yelling and belittling of the child, and of a loss of self esteem as they are repeatedly exposed to and compared to peers that have superior talent to them. Nia should be with a less advanced group of girls, w/ a teacher who doesn't expect her to place in the top 5 every time she has a solo - she probably was before the show if I had to guess.

I agree with this. I could see Nia on a dance team that is more drill styles that we see at Dance World's in a pom division. She would probably have made a competitive jazz team as a junior, senior would depend on the area. But she likely would have done well in Pom and Hip-Hop at the very least, got to compete it, and been part of a team.

I honestly think that Chloe has the highest chance of a career as a dancer when she is older and best thing they did was leave the show. Even many seasons back when they had the summer ballet scholarship offer it was Chloe that got it. I think Maddie this season has the look of I can not WAIT to be done with this. I can see her doing some more Disney tween show type of stuff but burning out from all of this and just wanting a quieter life. She has looked so tired on some of the shows this season - just looks like Abby is going to use her up till the kid doesn't have anymore left. UK mom show uggghhh. Even the regular Dance Mom show just feels like we are coming to the end of a long ride.

Now that Chloe has left and is getting training elsewhere and being exposed to more I agree with you. To be fair though, Chloe got one in ballet but Maddie also got offered a scholarship for lyrical or jazz (can't remember) as well but it never aired. Neither of the girl's used them because of filming. I do agree about Maddie appearing that she's done and I think she will likely find commercial success if surrounded by the right people---but as far as dance goes, she's like an Alyson Stoner to me. Peaked too soon, too young.

Someone else said she sounded "dumb and delusional". My answer was meant to be sarcastic (in responding to the comments above it) meaning that all kids her age are "dumb" (read as naive and ignorant to adult ways/intentions). I should have quoted it and been clearer.

ETA: I was responding to the comments below:

Personally, I don't think Nia should quit dance if she loves it. That's like telling a girl who doesn't tumble well, that she should quit Allstar cheer. Maybe, she needs the right environment to do what she loves.

I take adult ballet classes. I'm in no way the greatest dancer. I've taken classes off and on my entire life. Once, I took some classes at Alvin Ailey and I learned things, and felt muscles I didn't know I could. See, environment changes perspective.

She did sound dumb. She did sound delusional and she did sound petty. Never did I say she was in fact dumb, because I personally don't believe that "all" kids her age are dumb.

If you notice Nia is the only one that hemmed and hawed about JoJo taking away "opportunities from those who have been there longer". As stupid and mean as the "assignment" was to begin with, at least the other girls made a half butt attempt to actually critique her dance ability. Nia got up there and whined about circumstance pertaining to a school of thought that will never get her anywhere in Iife ( you're not going to get promoted at work simply by having worked there 28 years----not if someone better and more qualified comes along ). No doubt spoon fed to her by her newly ignorant mother who somewhere between the time she go fired from her career to her getting a couple hundred thousand instagram followers, decided that Nia would be the next Beyonce.

She's not in the right environment to do what she loves. She's in that miserable environment floundering so that she can have this "opportunity" that her mother, who also sounds dumb, delusional and petty keeps hyping her up about.

And nobody said that she should quit dance. I said that she Would have excelled at all star cheer. There's a difference and participating in both can in fact happen simultaneously.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

participating in both can in fact happen simultaneously.

Shimmy to whole post, but help me out with this part. I'm trying to figure out how to pull this one off now, and so far it's not looking too good. Both are very time consuming and a huge financial burden. [emoji26]

But I guess you mean for rich moms who don't work...? (like the Dance Moms moms)

The show is just getting worse and worse, even the scripted drama is just bad, i mean come on , the whole teaming up with kira and jess was just so fake. And then Jill telling Abby about that at the comp, ugh
Jojo was kinda non existent except for the the beginning of the episode. Maddie is getting on my nerves with her facials and holly needs to get her act together and realize her dauhgter is not as good as she thinks she is, and she will most likely also never be a star. She is a pretty kid but she doesn't have that special charisma

I agree with this. I could see Nia on a dance team that is more drill styles that we see at Dance World's in a pom division. She would probably have made a competitive jazz team as a junior, senior would depend on the area. But she likely would have done well in Pom and Hip-Hop at the very least, got to compete it, and been part of a team.

If Nia was someplace that REALLY did Hip-Hop this kid would shine. She has some skill but it is like trying to fit a square peg in a round whole. When she gets a piece that truly fits her you can see that potential. Abby really focuses on her specialized style and if you don't meet that then you are an accessory which is really what Nia has become. I think she would have been a much stronger dancer by now being someplace that fit her style. She looks good doing Abby's style but when you hit one of those pieces where she can shine you just see that potential.

I liked how they showed the judges saying their critiques for the audience. Those are pretty good representations of what dance comp critiques sound like, except only they talk to the dance so if it's a video critique they say stuff like "straighten your knees" right as you're doing the part where your knees aren't straight, etc. What I've found too is that just cause a judge gushes about how great you are, doesn't mean they will score you high, and just cause they pick apart your technique doesn't mean you'll score low - just like how they gave Maddie a lot more corrections than the others, when in fact Maddie won and the others didn't place.

I thought Maddie's dance last night was really great. I thought the group dance was not good. The costuming on this show is getting so cheesy. It was a lot better in the earlier seasons.
I always found that the "nicer" this critique, the lower the placement and vice versa. When I did show choir in high school, right after your performance you would go to a critique session with a judge and if we were given nit picking corrections, we knew we had done well.

Shimmy to whole post, but help me out with this part. I'm trying to figure out how to pull this one off now, and so far it's not looking too good. Both are very time consuming and a huge financial burden. [emoji26]

But I guess you mean for rich moms who don't work...? (like the Dance Moms moms)

I mean she does have a rich mom with no job.......

But she (a child in general). doesn't have to do competitive dance. They could just take dance classes. Vice versa with competitive dance and just taking tumbling

Shimmy to whole post, but help me out with this part. I'm trying to figure out how to pull this one off now, and so far it's not looking too good. Both are very time consuming and a huge financial burden.
emoji26.png

You can dance w/o dancing 18 hours a week, and you can do all star w/o being on a world's team that travels to 6 hotel stay requiring competitions a year. You just need to cut back a little on one or the other.

For example, Nia's mom could tell Abby (well, let's say she had a normal studio owner, not Abby in particular ;), cause she'd probably want blood of course) that she wants to drop down to only taking technique classes a few times a week. Then she could go join a half year team, etc. and see if she likes cheer. Next year maybe try a full travel team while still doing the dance technique classes. So if she wants to go back to dance in the future she could, and vice versa.

You can dance w/o dancing 18 hours a week, and you can do all star w/o being on a world's team that travels to 6 hotel stay requiring competitions a year. You just need to cut back a little on one or the other.

Oh sorry... I should have clarified. Lol I don't care what nia does. Nia and her mom can do whatever. I was thinking of my child. We cannot do that. Both dance and cheer are an hour away from us, in opposite directions. I work in the evenings, so that greatly limits how many nights we can spare.

She dances nowhere near 18 hours a week right now, and I cannot imagine adding cheer in.

Could we probably make it work somehow? Sure, if I quit my job and change everything and buy a car. Am I going to do any of that? Nope - and certainly not for a half year team! She's going to have to choose.

Even with Nia - why would someone want to half-@$$ two things, instead of fully doing one? I'm not sure how old Nia is, but she's not 8! Neither is my daughter. They're not really at a "Meh... Let's just rearrange our lives so I can take some classes and cheer on a half year team" age.

(Side note - I was mostly thinking financially. Financially, taking just classes is really not much cheaper than competition dance here.)

Oh sorry... I should have clarified. Lol I don't care what nia does. Nia and her mom can do whatever. I was thinking of my child. We cannot do that. Both dance and cheer are an hour away from us, in opposite directions. I work in the evenings, so that greatly limits how many nights we can spare.

She dances nowhere near 18 hours a week right now, and I cannot imagine adding cheer in.

Could we probably make it work somehow? Sure, if I quit my job and change everything and buy a car. Am I going to do any of that? Nope - and certainly not for a half year team! She's going to have to choose.

Even with Nia - why would someone want to half-@$$ two things, instead of fully doing one? I'm not sure how old Nia is, but she's not 8! Neither is my daughter. They're not really at a "Meh... Let's just rearrange our lives so I can take some classes and cheer on a half year team" age.

(Side note - I was mostly thinking financially. Financially, taking just classes is really not much cheaper than competition dance here.)

Too bad you're not Queen Holly and your daughter isn't Ni-yonce

Someone else said she sounded "dumb and delusional". My answer was meant to be sarcastic (in responding to the comments above it) meaning that all kids her age are "dumb" (read as naive and ignorant to adult ways/intentions). I should have quoted it and been clearer.

ETA: I was responding to the comments below:

Personally, I don't think Nia should quit dance if she loves it. That's like telling a girl who doesn't tumble well, that she should quit Allstar cheer. Maybe, she needs the right environment to do what she loves.

I take adult ballet classes. I'm in no way the greatest dancer. I've taken classes off and on my entire life. Once, I took some classes at Alvin Ailey and I learned things, and felt muscles I didn't know I could. See, environment changes perspective.
Ah, I see.

I also don't know for sure but judging from Nia's travel schedule it doesn't appear that she's doing traditional schooling.

So with pesty school not
Taking up time of your day you could squeeze in early private dance classes.

But in the case of Nia there's no reason to worry about doing all star cheer hypothetically.

What she needs is studio time. Since she's Ni-yonce now.

She did sound dumb. She did sound delusional and she did sound petty. Never did I say she was in fact dumb, because I personally don't believe that "all" kids her age are dumb.

If you notice Nia is the only one that hemmed and hawed about JoJo taking away "opportunities from those who have been there longer". As stupid and mean as the "assignment" was to begin with, at least the other girls made a half butt attempt to actually critique her dance ability. Nia got up there and whined about circumstance pertaining to a school of thought that will never get her anywhere in Iife ( you're not going to get promoted at work simply by having worked there 28 years----not if someone better and more qualified comes along ). No doubt spoon fed to her by her newly ignorant mother who somewhere between the time she go fired from her career to her getting a couple hundred thousand instagram followers, decided that Nia would be the next Beyonce.

She's not in the right environment to do what she loves. She's in that miserable environment floundering so that she can have this "opportunity" that her mother, who also sounds dumb, delusional and petty keeps hyping her up about.

And nobody said that she should quit dance. I said that she Would have excelled at all star cheer. There's a difference and participating in both can in fact happen simultaneously.
True.

Back