OT The Dance Moms Thread!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you on team Abby or team Kelly

• Total voters
True that! But I believe the real opportunist Melissa will show her claws this season, now that her daughters are branching out from this program and she rode the Abby Lee car, until the wheels fell off... There is a true madness behind Melissa, she is like snacks in the grass, lol... I've seen people like Melissa, she can end up having Abby working for her and owning the whole darn dance studio...

I think that Melissa and her girls are so enmeshed with Abby that she just won't see it. But MAN I REALLY HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT. Abby knew all the details of Melissa and her x and she supported her. Melissa was very involved with being the main support for Abby when her mom passed. They have been through so much and I think personality wise that Melissa is one of those people who works only off someone telling her what to do and is incapable of making choices even if they are for the betterment of her children. It is very sad but very clear when you watch her and how she reacts to Abby losing it. I bet 10 - 1 that somewhere in Melissa's past (child or adult) she had some domestic violence or abuse. I have seen it when I used to work with clients. She may not have been directly abused but she has the mannerisms that her way of getting through was be the good girl at least for show and her manipulative lying and changing things for appearance fits in with it so much as well.

@Mom2Cheergirls, that is exactly why I feel the way I do about Melissa. She comes off with the up your a$$ attitude and so passive, but I believe this is a facade, not buying it... Melissa will be the type to buy the deeds to Abby's studios and have everyone believe someone else bought it... Matter of fact, that is probably why Abby always favor her children over the rest and made sure Maddie never competed in competitions against dancers that can beat her, she always put Chloe up instead with lousy choreography. Just my take on this situation at hand...Btw, if this scenario happen, it makes for great TV.

Last edited:
Hmm don't know whose mental health is the closest to disintegrating after watching last nights episodes. Abby's, the girls', or the moms'.

Even though everyone here is on the "Maddie is awful" bandwagon, she is my favorite (besides Chloe) and I just wanted to give that child the biggest hug in the world after that episode. Seeing her cry was terrible and hearing her say, at the end of the episode, how she feels like she let down Abby and her team after getting third was heartbreaking. She is so hard on herself that it hurts to watch. Someone needs to show her that she doesn't need to carry such a heavy responsibility around with her. And show her that Abby is the one who has failed her, not the other way around.

I feel bad for all the children on the show but Maddie especially. Jojo too but at least she has a sane mother that can correctly mother. I think I finally understand why Melissa is the way she is in that episode. When she said she didn't want to go talk to Abby because she didn't want to be called names and be made to feel stupid, I saw the sincerity in her voice and I was like "yep, it all makes sense now." To the user who posted about a history of abuse, I have to agree with you.

This show is such a train wreck and it really needs to get cancelled for everyone's sake.

Hmm don't know whose mental health is the closest to disintegrating after watching last nights episodes. Abby's, the girls', or the moms'.

Even though everyone here is on the "Maddie is awful" bandwagon, she is my favorite (besides Chloe) and I just wanted to give that child the biggest hug in the world after that episode. Seeing her cry was terrible and hearing her say, at the end of the episode, how she feels like she let down Abby and her team after getting third was heartbreaking. She is so hard on herself that it hurts to watch. Someone needs to show her that she doesn't need to carry such a heavy responsibility around with her. And show her that Abby is the one who has failed her, not the other way around.

I feel bad for all the children on the show but Maddie especially. Jojo too but at least she has a sane mother that can correctly mother. I think I finally understand why Melissa is the way she is in that episode. When she said she didn't want to go talk to Abby because she didn't want to be called names and be made to feel stupid, I saw the sincerity in her voice and I was like "yep, it all makes sense now." To the user who posted about a history of abuse, I have to agree with you.

This show is such a train wreck and it really needs to get cancelled for everyone's sake.
After reading this post, maybe I should start watching the show again. No, I was never on the Maddie's bash train and in earlier posts, I felt sorry for her because she appeared to be a sweet child. However, the way Abby set it up for Maddie was really unfair and unrealistic for the child, always the victor, never the loser in competitions. Well, I am going to shut up now!

I just find Maddie disingenuous. Always have. I know that sounds crazy to say about a 12 year old but her role in this whole charade of a dance show has been pounded into her head for so long by her mother at this point that I just don't buy it the tears and her fear of letting "Miss Abby" down. I hope this kid's dance training is not taking a back burner to all the craziness because she's starting to remind me of all the little 6 year old cheer wunderkind who burn out by 12/13 as everyone else catches up to their once amazing skills. It would be a shame if her true potential as a dancer is compromised for reality TV.

I just find Maddie disingenuous. Always have. I know that sounds crazy to say about a 12 year old but her role in this whole charade of a dance show has been pounded into her head for so long by her mother at this point that I just don't buy it the tears and her fear of letting "Miss Abby" down. I hope this kid's dance training is not taking a back burner to all the craziness because she's starting to remind me of all the little 6 year old cheer wunderkind who burn out by 12/13 as everyone else catches up to their once amazing skills. It would be a shame if her true potential as a dancer is compromised for reality TV.

Lol I get why people don't like her, believe me. But I see so much of my younger self in her that it makes it hard for me to not love her. Not that I was a brat in any way, I was the furthest thing from it. But the overwhelming perfectionism, the mindset of either you're perfect and number one or you're a failure and you've disappointed everyone, the feeling of everything is your fault when it's really not, the not having anyone in your life to help you through that and then being placed in a very toxic environment that you have little control over. It can lead to very dark places and can really skew your reality. I get that this is just another thing in life that people don't fully understand how a person really feels or how a person would react unless you've been through those same trenches. So I understand why people diminish her behavior to just being a spoiled brat. If I hadn't had those experiences, I would do the same.

Let's be honest though, Abby is an emotionally abusive person. Maddie's whole world on the show revolves around pleasing "Miss Abby" while Abby throws these kid's feelings, self-esteem, and self-worth around like its nothing. And no one takes falls from such high heights because of Abby than Maddie does. It's all very damaging. Though I'll be the first to defend her, I'll also be the first to say that it doesn't excuse Maddie's behavior at times. She is still responsible for the way she reacts to these things.

Maddie's side interviews seem very fake but that's because they are. Everyone's is. The girl is clearly not an actor :p But the tears and frustration in the studio on this weeks episodes when Abby said she wasn't "working hard" were real. If Maddie burns out its because of the emotional abuse and how this show has ruined her love of dancing through manipulation and toying with her feelings from the adults in her life. It's such a sad thing to see.

I really fear that Maddie is going to go through a lot of bad things if she doesn't get any help because of this show. I don't care if she wins or loses, is on top of the pyramid or whatever. All I want to see is the girl happy and supported. She has been neither for far too long - especially for a child. I want someone to remove her from her mom and Abby.

Sorry, I just feel very passionate about this topic. But I understand everyone else's views on it and why they see things differently from me.

The eventual reality of any kid who has/had amazing skills at a young age is that others will catch up to them as time goes on. And there is always a new little phenom showing up every year who has more skills at an even younger age. Kids who are praised too much for being amazing at a really young age begin to develop that as their identity. It can be very crushing to their self esteem when the others, who used to be far less skilled than them in the early years, start catching up. Even aging/growing up in general can be hard for these kids.

My opinion is that the best thing for those types of kids is to get them into a training situation where there are with only kids like them (same young age, same skill level) as soon as the talent is identified, and kept there w/ the same age group long term (i.e. don't start adding in new young ones each year, but make that group only for kids in a 1-2 year age span). The more they are coddled, and treated as "special" because they are so good at a young age, the more risk there is for hard times when others catch up.

I am glad that the hylands and chloe got out when they did albeit the circumstances at least they have supportive parents

The girls need to learn that if you don't win that is ok as long as you try your best which they are clearly not getting with abby

@Helen uk uni cheer, I definitely agree with your post. I used to get disturbed when in the beginning of the show, Abby used to make this poor sportsmanship statement about coming in 2nd place was the worse position to be in, what Abby said, oh yes, "2nd place is the 1st to lose", whaat? Exactly, what are we teaching young people when we have this attitude? I understand not wanting everybody feel entitled and should get a trophy that they did not earn, but there is a lesson too in losing... I've seen young teams that gotten use to winning and begin to believe the hype around them when they do lose, this team normally fall apart and become poor sports and blame everyone for losing and sometimes turn on each other too.
PS: A young person should learn, the only shame in coming in 2nd place is for a job interview and winning all of the time, yes it may feel good, but it can lead the winner to become complacent too... jmo!

@Helen uk uni cheer, I definitely agree with your post. I used to get disturbed when in the beginning of the show, Abby used to make this poor sportsmanship statement about coming in 2nd place was the worse position to be in, what Abby said, oh yes, "2nd place is the 1st to lose", whaat? Exactly, what are we teaching young people when we have this attitude? I understand not wanting everybody feel entitled and should get a trophy that they did not earn, but there is a lesson too in losing... I've seen young teams that gotten use to winning and begin to believe the hype around them when they do lose, this team normally fall apart and become poor sports and blame everyone for losing and sometimes turn on each other too.
PS: A young person should learn, the only shame in coming in 2nd place is for a job interview and winning all of the time, yes it may feel good, but it can lead the winner to become complacent too... jmo!

Winning is all about perspective. In cheer I have come 1st out of 2 with one team at a small regional and 3rd out of 17 with another team at the biggest national in the uk. I am prouder of the third place as we did our best and had really tough competition while when my group came first we had. Mistakes and the other team did half ups in level 1 so I was upset I didn't do my best.

If the ALDC girls loose but did an amazing job but we're up against a power house studio they should be happier as now the have goals.

True that! But I believe the real opportunist Melissa will show her claws this season, now that her daughters are branching out from this program and she rode the Abby Lee car, until the wheels fell off... There is a true madness behind Melissa, she is like snacks in the grass, lol... I've seen people like Melissa, she can end up having Abby working for her and owning the whole darn dance studio...

If it weren't for Melissa, Abby would have lost her studio, so part of me hopes you're right, but also wrong. When I see Melissa I see the an epic stage mom who will do anything to get their children to the top even if she, herself, has to sleep with someone, do favors, pay them, or whatever. She doesn't seem to have a leash in that sense, and despite the producer editing and storylines, she is probably the only mom who has likely been herself from episode 1 to now.

Maddie without question; she doesn't have the age and experience to handle what is being thrown at her so her natural defense mechanism's are weak. After Maddie would be Kendall; but not because of Abby, I think Jill is and always has been riding on her shoulders and Kendall is at an age where she can crack. Mackenzie will likely go to therapy to deal with sibling inequalities, Nia will likely be fine, Jojo likely fine, and Kalani doesn't care enough to take much of this to heart, so I'm sure she'll also be fine.

I think this is a realistic scenario. If you watch interviews with Maddie she'll be the first one to tell you that talent as a dancer didn't come naturally; she is that kid who walks in and needs to spend 10 hours a day training because that is how she learns. She is a quicker learner choreo wise; which i can relate to because I can memorize stuff like no one's business on the spot, but to actually perfect it took time. That being said, Maddie is not that great of a dancer. Is she good? Yes. Absolutely, yes. But is she one of the best in her peer class? Not really. There are handfuls of girl's her age who are better, who are getting out and doing more, while this show has held her back especially in the past year or so. IMO, she has peaked too soon; which was one of Abby's biggest fears in Season 1.

If you care, Maddie danced on PLL

Just watched this episode last night and she seriously creeped me out :oops: (yes I'm admitting as a 23 year old I watch PLL...oops). The part on the tub around 1:20 made me think of birthing an exorcism (weird, i know, don't ask...awkward.)

Back