All-Star The Dreaded Step

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I never stepped into anything. I think I tried to step into a bhs once for fun but I got too scared lol. When I did standing tucks I had to stand completely still or I wouldn't do it. There's no way I would have stepped ever. I can't even swing my arms back when I tumble bc it sketches me out lol.
Running wise we were taught 2 steps then hurdle and I think that's all you really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this is an option, but can she "phase out" the step...as in not take as big of a step, get a little more comfortable, make the step less, etc. until she doesn't need it? As others have said, adding in spots/coach there, as needed to help her see she's okay? Kind of rebuilding her confidence.

So as of last week she started throwing it without the step. She refused to be spotted or work handsprings drills. She just threw it. She's still a little more comfortable with the step but said she would try it. I've noticed without the step is not as clean as with the step but her coach said it's strictly mental and as she gets comfortable with them they'll improve.

So as of last week she started throwing it without the step. She refused to be spotted or work handsprings drills. She just threw it. She's still a little more comfortable with the step but said she would try it. I've noticed without the step is not as clean as with the step but her coach said it's strictly mental and as she gets comfortable with them they'll improve.
I'm glad to hear this! Success is often slow. She'll have it perfected eventually! :)

I'm glad to hear this! Success is often slow. She'll have it perfected eventually! :)

Hopefully soon lol. Without a step her feet come apart some. I'm not gonna push it or stress her though because she went from needing a step to throw 2 to throwing 5 standing without a step.

Her coach said it's all about her confidence and he's gonna keep pushing her.

When I was a freshman in HS a girl on my team always did a step back into her standing tuck. I've always had a consistent standing tuck and I thought I would do it for fun to try it... after I tried it I LITERALLY couldn't do a standing tuck without it. For 4 years. Even now I still occasionally have to step into it. It's ridiculous and I don't understand it at all but for some reason I have to step now.
I always stepped into all of my (connected) standing tumbling, though. Thats how I learned how to throw it and it throws me off when I can't step.

Back