All-Star The Future Of Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You think they'd learn from the industry outcry over the process (or total lack thereof) to limit tumbling that they wouldn't want to repeat that process with limitations to stunting....unless, of course, the lip service to collaboration is just that...lip service.

And that's a bigger problem than unilaterally limiting stunting.

Well actually I would be MORE in favor of limiting stunting than limiting tumbling. The FACTS and research PROVE that there are more injuries from stunting than tumbling. Also, per injury the severity of stunting injuries is higher than that of tumbling.
My issue with the tumbling being scaled back is that there was no research that proved limiting these skills will limit injuries. Stunting is resulting in more injuries than tumbling therefore I would support that MORE.

Well actually I would be MORE in favor of limiting stunting than limiting tumbling. The FACTS and research PROVE that there are more injuries from stunting than tumbling. Also, per injury the severity of stunting injuries is higher than that of tumbling.
My issue with the tumbling being scaled back is that there was no research that proved limiting these skills will limit injuries. Stunting is resulting in more injuries than tumbling therefore I would support that MORE.

Without actually seeing data - I agree. As a coach, I have had more injuries (small ones, but still injuries). What do we consider an injury? Is a bloody nose considered an injury? Jammed Finger? Soar wrists? I feel I teach great stunt progression and technique, but stunting injuries are inevitable. I feel there needs to be a definition of injury.

Also, are average to elite stunting teams more injury prone, or beginner to average level 5 teams?

Without actually seeing data - I agree. As a coach, I have had more injuries (small ones, but still injuries). What do we consider an injury? Is a bloody nose considered an injury? Jammed Finger? Soar wrists? I feel I teach great stunt progression and technique, but stunting injuries are inevitable. I feel there needs to be a definition of injury.

Also, are average to elite stunting teams more injury prone, or beginner to average level 5 teams?
I can't provide answers, but my common sense says that the injuries are greater for the harder skills, but the occurrences are less so. Again, though- it's not so much the skill as who's doing it. I remember hearing how Valeri Liukin fired one of Nastia's previous coaches for pushing her too hard too fast and she got hurt (and then he coached her himself). There is no such standard in our sport. There are only a few places that teach top-level gymnasts. But instead of everybody whining about how they can't compete with these gyms, they work hard on being good at the levels they offer and making sure their own gymnasts succeed.

PM me your email and I'll send you a report done by the same data recovery done by the NCAA.

I can't provide answers, but my common sense says that the injuries are greater for the harder skills, but the occurrences are less so. Again, though- it's not so much the skill as who's doing it. I remember hearing how Valeri Liukin fired one of Nastia's previous coaches for pushing her too hard too fast and she got hurt (and then he coached her himself). There is no such standard in our sport. There are only a few places that teach top-level gymnasts. But instead of everybody whining about how they can't compete with these gyms, they work hard on being good at the levels they offer and making sure their own gymnasts succeed.

Don't even get me started on how lax the industry is on firing coaches.

I don't know about where all-stars is heading but high schools have ruled out double downs. There are already no double fulls. They have allowed inversions (I'm not sure if there is a national standard or if each state has added more restrictions as they see fit). Hopefully all-stars will not get limited as far as stunting, but if it does I hope they do offer some alternative way to keep it interesting. I don't see them restricting double downs in level 5, what would level 4 do then? Right now (unless I' wrong) the progression goes level
1: straight cradle
2: 1/4 turn cradle
3: full downs from 2 legs
4: full down from 1 leg and double from 2
5: double downs.

Would every level just bump down and level 1 not be allowed to cradle at all?

It doesn't take a rule change to limit stunting, Varsity has already decided they do not want to see elite coed stunts. In order to qualify as an elite stunt in small coed, a division that can only have 4 males, you have to put up 6 single based one leg stunts. In medium it's 10 stunts with 6 boys. I would venture to guess that not a single team in the country will be able to make this happen this season.

It doesn't take a rule change to limit stunting, Varsity has already decided they do not want to see elite coed stunts. In order to qualify as an elite stunt in small coed, a division that can only have 4 males, you have to put up 6 single based one leg stunts. In medium it's 10 stunts with 6 boys. I would venture to guess that not a single team in the country will be able to make this happen this season.

That is Cray-Cray!

I think you'll be surprised. I can think of at least two small all girl teams that had 6 single leg stunt sequences (gbe and Cali). Was it this season that super seniors med ag put up ten? Or last season as large?

I think you'll be surprised. I can think of at least two small all girl teams that had 6 single leg stunt sequences (gbe and Cali). Was it this season that super seniors med ag put up ten? Or last season as large?

I would be very surprised. And I believe those teams put up double based or assisted stunts. To count as unassisted, one person needs to hold the stunt by themselves. To me unassisted should be define as only one person touches the top girl from the time she leaves the ground to the time she pops off or cradles. But even with the Varsity definition of unassisted, I just don't see anyone having the numbers to make it work.

I would be very surprised. And I believe those teams put up double based or assisted stunts. To count as unassisted, one person needs to hold the stunt by themselves. To me unassisted should be define as only one person touches the top girl from the time she leaves the ground to the time she pops off or cradles. But even with the Varsity definition of unassisted, I just don't see anyone having the numbers to make it work.

Whoops, read your original post wrong! Haha sorry. This is what I get for signing up to have class from 9 AM to 9 PM with only an hour and a half worth of breaks today.

The rules proposals that we were shown at the USASF actually expand stunting in level 4 and 5. These are the ones we will get to vote on and decide (as they've already been vetted by the rules committee to avoid a fiasco like the last rules cycle) I believe we were shown 5, but the 3 that stick out are
allowing all releases to the top in level 4 except for high to high releases.
Free flipping mounts into stunts in level 5 (didn't go over all the restrictions but it would have to start from a stand and land at shoulder level or below)
Tumbling into stunts level 5(think top guns running tumbling but without having the boys lay on the ground)

One of the others had to do with med coed numbers, and I can't remember the next one.

As far as capping skills (so that for instance you only score the first 3 elites of a stunt even if you do 70 elite variations) is already done in jumps and baskets on varsity, with the intention of adding more categories if those go well (I orrery me if I'm wrong ASCheerMan )
If you feel strongly against it, let the you attend know how you feel (which I'm sure you have no problem doing Rudags lol)

Back