All-Star The One Thing I Despise About The Olympics...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think ya'll are getting what Im talking about

Im not so mad that Lebron gets to compete in the olympics its more like this; kieran began...irish gymnast he literally worked as hard as anyone could possibly work just so he could compete at the olympics...his family had bake sales and scraped every penny just so he could have his moment...someone like lebron james demands millions upon millions of dollars to play a game for a living. In my eyes he isn't playing a sport because he loves it...hes playing because its giving him a 7 figure salary and a diva personality...I have 100x more respect for kieran began then I will ever have for some basketball player who thinks they are the second coming of jesus...

Lebron couldn't demand that kind of salary if the money wasn't there. The fact of the matter is, gymnastics isn't as profitable or popular as sports like basketball or football. Those players get the high salaries because lots of people pay lots of money that contribute to it. If gymnastics had the widespread popularity, then people like Jordyn Wieber could also earn ridiculously high salaries. Just because Lebron earns more money doesn't mean that he loves basketball any less. Having equality of results sounds nice, but it's not real life and never will be.

Im not so mad that Lebron gets to compete in the olympics its more like this; kieran began...irish gymnast he literally worked as hard as anyone could possibly work just so he could compete at the olympics...his family had bake sales and scraped every penny just so he could have his moment...someone like lebron james demands millions upon millions of dollars to play a game for a living. In my eyes he isn't playing a sport because he loves it...hes playing because its giving him a 7 figure salary and a diva personality...I have 100x more respect for kieran began then I will ever have for some basketball player who thinks they are the second coming of jesus...

The sacrifices that you make to be an athlete at the highest level are the same no matter what the sport. I don't begrudge LeBron James his millions of dollars, because he reached the highest levels of his chosen profession and said profession pays very, very well. What these guys do when they make their millions is another story. But I don't have a problem with them making the huge money because people will pay crazy jack to see them play and networks will pay huge amounts of money to broadcast their games.

Again, the point I made above still stands - when you choose to devote your life to a sport like gymnastics or swimming, you go into it understanding that the payoff - even if you do make it - isn't the same as the guy who makes it in a sport like basketball, soccer or football.

Haha to think that Olympians don't get paid is ridiculous. All countries have a "reward" per medal. If you qualify for the Olympics it's an honor and a hell of a thing to put on your resume.
- Skeet shooting Olympian giving shooting tips at xyz shooting range! (They get paid).
Training to be an Olympian takes sacrifice, like newcheerdad said, they know it coming in. I'd trade places with the last place Olympian in any sport for every dollar I have to my name, just to say I was an Olympian is priceless.
Lebron James gets paid, because his genetics, love for the sport and talent all line up. He's honestly risking more playing in the Olympics than not. What if he gets hurt?
Now as for the only 2 per country allowed in AA, I HATE, repeat HATE that Jordyn isn't competing, she was my pick for the Gold, but the same thing applies, she knew she had to place top 2 to qualify, she knew it coming in.

Or when you are 5th in semi-finals out of all the countries yet can't qualify for all-arounds :confused:
(Off topic but still. It irks me)

There are sports where once you're considered 'professional' (figure skating comes to mind) you are no longer eligible for Olympic/amature competition. The second you take cash for a service and don't put it into your training, you're eligibility goes out the window.

I don't see why it should be any different for other sports.

And no, the Olympics are not just about the best of the best. I've had more joy watching the Nigerian rower and Turkmenistan's Jennet Saryyeva. The spirit of the Olympics is about so much more than the medals.

I don't think that's true for the Olympics. True for NCAA eligibility, yes. Lots of the gymnasts have gone "pro" and forfeited NCAA eligibility.

Let's be serious though, Baseball was cut in large part because the MLB didn't let the players take time off from the season to go play. Hockey ended up allowing pros to play to get more interest. Olympic Tennis is made up of all professional players, I heard they're adding golf in the future which will be too. Most of the athletes are not amateurs.

Kieran was lucky to make the Olympics. He has a heartwarming story, but it's not like he was ever in any sort of contention for a medal, obviously he doesn't have sponsors falling over to pay his way.

Unfortunately, gymnastics doesn't have a professional competition season the way other sports do. The money and demand just isn't there. That has nothing to do with the Olympics, it's just a fact. Lebron is *not* getting paid to compete in the Olympics, he's doing that out of his love of the sport. It's really hard to compare because the NBA has nothing to do with the Olympics. It's comparing apples to oranges.

I'm just mad most of them can throw a standing full on a 4 inch beam and I can't throw one given a 54 x 54 spring floor... -_____-

#goingtohaveaheartattackduringwomen'seventfinalstoday

And they do it without taking any steps! If gymnasts can do it, cheerleaders can do it!

I don't think that's true for the Olympics. True for NCAA eligibility, yes. Lots of the gymnasts have gone "pro" and forfeited NCAA eligibility.

For figure skating its true. The second you take cash and apply it to anything but training expenses, done deal, you're pro, you're out. From Worlds, from Olympics, everything.

The one (Amongst others) thing I despise Australia for is only following their athletes on their national TV... hello USA is so much more interesting!!

For figure skating its true. The second you take cash and apply it to anything but training expenses, done deal, you're pro, you're out. From Worlds, from Olympics, everything.

I looked it up and you're right, in a sense, I apologize. You can be an amateur and win prize money or be paid to perform in sanctioned shows. But I think Figure Skating is unique in that respect.

I looked it up and you're right, in a sense, I apologize. You can be an amateur and win prize money or be paid to perform in sanctioned shows. But I think Figure Skating is unique in that respect.
I know its likely sport specific. In skating you can apply back to amature status, though I'm not sure whats involved. I had a coach do it when I was a tot so she could try to compete in the Canada Games.

Back