The Toe Touch!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 26, 2014
Hi I'm tia! And I'm a fighter! It is my life long dream to cheer for the nfl! I've come a long way! I failed to make the cheerleading squad 3 times in highschool but I wanted it so bad I made it my forth time! Now I'm getting back into the sport I love and worked so hard for and I need a little help. Lately my toe touch has been wonky. I don't know why! I know all the body parts involved and how they are used. I could tell someone how to do a toe touch but when I physically perform one it's difficult. I've done it before! I made the team before! I know I can do it but I feel like something needs to be said to me for it to click! What are some tips you can give me so I can GET MY TOE TOUCH again? I know I can do it. The right advice needs to be given to me and I physically need to apply it. Tryouts are today.

Never heard of college cheer doing tryouts for anything this late but every school is different.

I am sorry to say I cannot help you get a toe touch for today. Good luck.

Jumps are something that can be learned in a day but must be perfected over time. Stretch and strengthen your leg muscles over time and your jumps will get better and better with practice. Leg lifts (standing and while sitting in a straddle) will help.

I would focus on perfect form (straight legs, pointed toes, perfect arms), ect for today. As a coach I would prefer to see a small/low with perfect form than an attempt at doing a high toe touch with bent legs and sloppy form.

Good luck!

@Cheer Dad - many junior and community colleges don't have tryouts until after school has already started.

Jumps are something that can be learned in a day but must be perfected over time. Stretch and strengthen your leg muscles over time and your jumps will get better and better with practice. Leg lifts (standing and while sitting in a straddle) will help.

I would focus on perfect form (straight legs, pointed toes, perfect arms), ect for today. As a coach I would prefer to see a small/low with perfect form than an attempt at doing a high toe touch with bent legs and sloppy form.

Good luck!

@Cheer Dad - many junior and community colleges don't have tryouts until after school has already started.
Thanks dani

I'm going to apply what you suggested to my jumps today. I'm going to do some practice with a buddy and I was able to contact a friend who made the team with me in high school! You told me exactly what I needed to hear. I felt that I was focusing on the wrong part of my body when attempting the toe touch. I will focus on my form. I don't have my split but I am very close to getting it and I am very flexible. I've been stretching for my split since the middle of July and I'm closer than ever. Can you give me a little advice of snapping both legs up and then down, landing your feet together?

Thank you so much!

Thanks dani

I'm going to apply what you suggested to my jumps today. I'm going to do some practice with a buddy and I was able to contact a friend who made the team with me in high school! You told me exactly what I needed to hear. I felt that I was focusing on the wrong part of my body when attempting the toe touch. I will focus on my form. I don't have my split but I am very close to getting it and I am very flexible. I've been stretching for my split since the middle of July and I'm closer than ever. Can you give me a little advice of snapping both legs up and then down, landing your feet together?

Thank you so much!

No problem! It's a little hard to give advice/corrections without seeing a video but here is my best general thoughts -

The leg lifts (seated and standing) will help with strengthening your hip flexor muscle which is used in the snap up and down. When you do leg lifts while standing focus on snapping your leg down to meet your other foot as fast as you can.

Always, always make sure you land with your feet together. If you find that you are consistently landing with your feet apart, try making the jump a little smaller (don't lift your legs quite as high). From there, as you build up your hip flexor strength, it'll start to get bigger and bigger. Also, focus on keep your hips rolled under in the jump (think like your sitting in a straddle on the ground with your knees and shoe laces pointing towards the ceiling or behind you), it'll be easier to snap your feet together than if you are doing a really huge star jump.

Never heard of college cheer doing tryouts for anything this late but every school is different.

I am sorry to say I cannot help you get a toe touch for today. Good luck.
My teams tryouts are next week. We don't have a football team so we only cheer basketball & pep rallies. And we don't compete.

No problem! It's a little hard to give advice/corrections without seeing a video but here is my best general thoughts -

The leg lifts (seated and standing) will help with strengthening your hip flexor muscle which is used in the snap up and down. When you do leg lifts while standing focus on snapping your leg down to meet your other foot as fast as you can.

Always, always make sure you land with your feet together. If you find that you are consistently landing with your feet apart, try making the jump a little smaller (don't lift your legs quite as high). From there, as you build up your hip flexor strength, it'll start to get bigger and bigger. Also, focus on keep your hips rolled under in the jump (think like your sitting in a straddle on the ground with your knees and shoe laces pointing towards the ceiling or behind you), it'll be easier to snap your feet together than if you are doing a really huge star jump.

Good news everybody! I made it to round two of the cheerleading tryouts! My loud voice and tight arm movements and ability to pick up cheer and dance quickly got me so far. Tomorrow is the final day of cheerleading tryouts and it's my birthday! I hope I make it! I know I have it in me!

My teams tryouts are next week. We don't have a football team so we only cheer basketball & pep rallies. And we don't compete.
Yeah that sounds just like my team! I was scared for nothing though, the entire tryout process was very relaxed. All the cheerleaders were fun and friendly even when they were correcting people. I think the non pressure like setting is what made it easy for me to tryout and show them my best. On Friday I'm going in with the attitude that I'm gunna show them I deserve a spot on the team. Despite the toe touches.

Yeah that sounds just like my team! I was scared for nothing though, the entire tryout process was very relaxed. All the cheerleaders were fun and friendly even when they were correcting people. I think the non pressure like setting is what made it easy for me to tryout and show them my best. On Friday I'm going in with the attitude that I'm gunna show them I deserve a spot on the team. Despite the toe touches.

Good luck! Which College?

Good luck! Which College?
It's a small four year college in New Jersey. Bloomfield College. How long did it take you to do a standing split? I hope to be as flexible as that!

It's a small four year college in New Jersey. Bloomfield College. How long did it take you to do a standing split? I hope to be as flexible as that!

That is my CP (cheer princess) / daughter. It took her a couple of months. She stretches a lot. Keep working hard! The work will pay off!

Back