All-Star The Ultimate Guide To Preparing For Tryouts.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 5, 2014
The 'Cheerleader' and it's family are a delicate species. They battle mentally and physically to become the peak of there species, sacrificing many things for their survival. One of the most trying times for the cheer- homo-sapiens is tryouts, when individual members of the pack come together as one to create bigger and better things. These things cannot be accomplished without it's hard-working, bill-paying and encouraging family and of course, the necessities for the most stress-free tryout possible. So, without further ado, from one of the parents of the modern cheerleader, here is a survival guide to making tryouts as stress free as possible. *feel free to add to my list :)

Before your CP can strut their stuff and kill it on the floor, you must first acquire the knowledge required to get them there. Having picked the gym or gyms you'd like to tryout for, make sure that you know everything you can about the tryout process and the season. How many times a week will they practice? Does this include tumbling or should I sign them up for additional classes? How many competitions a year, and are they out of state? Will this cost more? How much will the year cost altogether? What skills does my CP need to make the team? These things and more you should be able to find out from the clubs website or from giving them a call. Now, if you've never made the treacherous journey to the great unknown that is your chosen gym, you should figure out how much time it will take to get there. Will the traffic be worse during your practice times and how much gas will it take? You've figured out all this information and are feeling proud and excited to be in the know of what's required for the season. No surprises for you! You've the ultimate Alpha of Knowledge.

Tryouts are begin to sneak up on you but never fear, your CP is looking fabulous. Is there anything else they'd like to work on before evaluations? Perhaps a tumbling class or private, yoga or something fun will lift their spirits more and give them an extra edge? It doesn't have to be fancy; a froyo date to celebrate all their hard work and dedication can be the ultimate mood-booster!

You've done all you can, and there is only one last step before you release your Cheerleader to the world.
Packing for tryouts! (Make sure you're following the dress/attire code for the gym of your choice. Some gyms have special requirements like no half-tops, only white t-shirts, black shorts and white shoes. If you can't find out anything about this or the gym has no requirements, feel free to be a little creative. A fancy bow will surely draw some attention, when paired with a plain white tea / shirt from the gym with a fierce half-top underneath.)

Tryout Bag necessities for the Cheerleader, (try to pack these at least the night before as to avoid rushing the day of tryouts and causing more stress.)
  1. White gym or cheer shoes.
  2. A water bottle
  3. Hair ties, dance clips or bobby-pins. (For the long-haired CP.)
  4. Deodorant
  5. White socks
And some special extras, that you don't need but I've found can ease some of the tryout blues.
  1. Healthy snack and something a little sweeter for afterwards when blood-sugars low and your CP needs a treat.
  2. Survival Kit; bandages, pro-wrap, k-tape, Advil, some Ginger-Gravel for upset tummies, Icy-Hot or A535, sports tape, throat lozenges and of course, anything else your CP might need like their ankle or wrist braces.
  3. A hairbrush, some lip chap and hairspray.
  4. An extra pair of socks. (You can also add an extra t-shirt and such for emergencies. Eating in the car can be hazardous to your outfit. ;) )
  5. A lucky charm or something that will give your CP that extra boost of confidence.
  6. Sassy and fabulous music for the drive to get your cheerleader(s) and fam into the mode. (We have a CD with music from past years, some workout music and a few tracks from Worlds. This always gets my kids super excited...not to mention I'm the cool yet not so cool parent, as I can mouth all the lyrics and sound effects from listening so much!)
  7. A fierce attitude.

Bags have been packed, gas tank filled and tires checked for excellence. You take them to the gym early, giving them a hug before letting them go. You've done all you could, preparing your CP for success and another great year on the mat. It's time to let them fly free. Be proud of yourself and them and don't let your worries show. Your CP is talented and they've got what it takes to do anything they can ever dream of!

...Congratulations, you've survived another year of tryouts as leader of your cheer family. Now, the real journey begins. Get ready for a crazy and fun-filled rest of the season! But don't worry, you're a Pro, you've got it all in the bag. :)

(*This is the result of not enough sleep, too much caffeine and three days straight in the gym. It's supposed to be a non-serious, a little bit funny guide to getting organized for tryouts. Please don't take anything too seriously in this post. & I hope you enjoyed!)

Hmmm...my story is a little different.

I pull into the parking lot on two wheels one minute prior, CP hasn't bothered to brush or pull her hair back. Of course I packed the pair of Nike Pros with the hole in them. She is hungry and eating Reese's Cups and drinking a diet Mountain Dew. She jumps out of the car fussing at me to hurry up and stop so she can get out. Meanwhile she can only find one shoe and her backpack spills out all over the front floorboard. She fails to shut her door all the way, I yell at her to come back and do it again.

It's 5:00 somewhere...

I pull into the parking lot on two wheels one minute prior, CP hasn't bothered to brush or pull her hair back. Of course I packed the pair of Nike Pros with the hole in them. She is hungry and eating Reese's Cups and drinking a diet Mountain Dew. She jumps out of the car fussing at me to hurry up and stop so she can get out. Meanwhile she can only find one shoe and her backpack spills out all over the front floorboard. She fails to shut her door all the way, I yell at her to come back and do it again.

You forgot the obligatory eye rolls every time you try to say something.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

For the love of God.

Know when it is TOO LATE for corrections and "You need to _______."

If you left the house, and she's still barely pulling her second jump for a double toe and it looks like it belongs on Tiny, there is no amount of "parking lot" practice 2o min before." or "before tryouts on the trampoline" that is going to fix it.

I've seen parents attempting to teach an entire section of the dance (that their HS daughter had been doing wrong since she learned it at clinics) in the parking lot 30 min before tryouts.

There's a certain point where if your kid doesn't have it, it's not coming.

Same with anything else. If her BHS was janky on Wednesday and Thursday, 4 hours of privates from 6-10 PM the FRIDAY before tryouts is not going to get it.

Back away from the cheerleader.

In the words of Frozen, let it go.

You cannot turn cheer water into wine overnight. You're not Jesus. All your fussing, "fixing" and last-minuting is going to do is make her nervous or possibly cause her to mental block.

Double-posting but same goes for PRIVATING kids to DEATH.

If Suzie needs a BHS and does not have it the night before tryouts, booking her a FOUR HOUR PRIVATE THE NIGHT BEFORE and a TWO HOUR PRIVATE THE DAY OF is not going to help.

One of the following things is going to happen:

*She's going to freak out and stop throwing it entirely.
*She's going to fall and mental block.
*She'll fluke throw it once and never again (causing her to lose her spot on the team anyway.)

Been at it long enough to know for returning athlete the tryout process can be more of a formality since they are trying out for next years team every time they enter that gym.

Beside that cp is always in a rush to be early and ice cream or a milkshake is the after tryout is the preferred drink.

Pretending to be a parent since 1993

Cheer Dad that's exactly what I tell all the nervous kids coming through my line at tryouts. "This is just a day for you to shine. You've been doing a great tryout all season!!"

The only advice I would give is to always look the part......meaning dress, do your hair and makeup like the team you want to make. For 12 year olds that means gym sports bra, spankies, poof with high straight ponytail or half up half down (always with a poof) makeup a little heavier than normal (but not cheer makeup) and lipstick. If you want to make a worlds team you NEED LIPSTICK.

I am literally ROFLMAO right now!

Cheer Dad that's exactly what I tell all the nervous kids coming through my line at tryouts. "This is just a day for you to shine. You've been doing a great tryout all season!!"

The only advice I would give is to always look the part......meaning dress, do your hair and makeup like the team you want to make. For 12 year olds that means gym sports bra, spankies, poof with high straight ponytail or half up half down (always with a poof) makeup a little heavier than normal (but not cheer makeup) and lipstick. If you want to make a worlds team you NEED LIPSTICK.

Yes, gawd.

If you are trying out for a 5 team, you need to be 5 team fierce coming through the door.

If you're 12, I don't want you to look 18, but I need you to have some fiercity.

Slick pony, plain tee shirt, no lipstick is not going to help you stand out against the 15+ year olds trying to move up or the girls who were already on a 5 team.

Please don't look like you're trying out for Pop Warner.

Double posting but with that said:

YOUR LOOKS WILL NOT CAMOUFLAGE YOUR JANKYNESS.

I REPEAT.

YOUR LOOKS WILL NOT CAMOUFLAGE YOUR JANKYNESS.

What I mean is that your teased to the high heavens AMAZING SOT style hair and stunner sequinned bra will not smoke screen the fact that your double down is doing the helicopter.

Get your skills together, then your face!

LIPSTICK is all I need to make a L5 team. YES, i got this poop nailed!

Back