All-Star The Ultimate Guide To Preparing For Tryouts.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know of one girl on a level 3 team now and she just decided she wants level 4 next season. So she's gonna sign up for some privates. She came in with a round off tuck and that's what she still has. Like why didn't you try to get more level 3 skills?!! And how about the kids and parents who automatically assume that just because they were on one level this year that they will automatically move up to the next level next year. And why are so many parents pushing their kids to be on higher levels when they are nowhere near ready. Or the lousy attitude kids who think coaches are not noticing their laziness or uncoachable attitudes.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My lord... Maybe we should rename this thread "How salty are coaches during tryout season?"

Do y'all know any cheerleaders or parents that you actually like?

I have tons of parents and cheerleaders that I ADORE. The minority is the problems...but they're also the loudest. The stories I could share :rolleyes:

Good gravy, I hate tryout season. I made a mom so mad this week because I said I thought our (small!) gym might have a y3 team this upcoming season (just a random mom observation). She's positive j3 is the only place her 9 year old can deal. It seems like the moms of younger girls are unaware of the pressure of older teams. We have a 7 year old on j3 this year and her mom is always so upset about it...like if she gets moved in the routine, or doesn't have a skill, or whatever. Mama's been a frantic mess all season AND she says she'll pull her kid from the gym if she gets placed on minis again (she crosses from mini2 to j3).

Good gravy, I hate tryout season. I made a mom so mad this week because I said I thought our (small!) gym might have a y3 team this upcoming season (just a random mom observation). She's positive j3 is the only place her 9 year old can deal. It seems like the moms of younger girls are unaware of the pressure of older teams. We have a 7 year old on j3 this year and her mom is always so upset about it...like if she gets moved in the routine, or doesn't have a skill, or whatever. Mama's been a frantic mess all season AND she says she'll pull her kid from the gym if she gets placed on minis again (she crosses from mini2 to j3).

I always have this conversation with parents and I tell them very simply that the pressure's on at that next level. There is nothing WRONG with being on a Y team for a few years. Not everyone is equipped to make the jump to J emotionally or otherwise.

This goes along with evals because all year long, we're not just looking at SKILLS but the MATURITY & COACHABILITY OF YOUR KIDS as well.

I encourage every mom to ask themselves honestly whether their daughter is MATURE enough for Juniors or Seniors.

When I say mature, is she COACHABLE enough for juniors or seniors?

For example: I know that cheer can be a high pressure environment and kids will get frustrated.

But if your kid is the one CRYING EVERY TIME I fix my mouth to correct her (when I am not even raising my voice), she is not ready. A simple "Ok." and fixing it is just fine and it shows me you are coachable.

Is she the eye-roller on her Y2 when asked to fix something? Not ready. She'd just be a J3 with an attitude.

Does she whine over conditioning? Nope.

Same with moving up to a SENIOR team.

If you are the resident "conditioning whiner" or "crying because I moved your stunt that I've been giving corrections on all week-er" you may not be ready for a Senior team.

Cheer Dad that's exactly what I tell all the nervous kids coming through my line at tryouts. "This is just a day for you to shine. You've been doing a great tryout all season!!"

The only advice I would give is to always look the part......meaning dress, do your hair and makeup like the team you want to make. For 12 year olds that means gym sports bra, spankies, poof with high straight ponytail or half up half down (always with a poof) makeup a little heavier than normal (but not cheer makeup) and lipstick. If you want to make a worlds team you NEED LIPSTICK.

Makeup for tryouts? I would have never considered that as a benefit to tryouts. In fact, in my own opinion I would think the girl cared more about how she looked than how well she performed. Just my $0.02 but my daughter is only 11. To me make-up and hair poofs are just for show and is not needed for tryouts or practice. Give me the hardest working kid the messy hair and sweat dripping down them before the make-up and hair perfect girl who doesn't break a sweat. :) I guess everyone's perception is different. But then again some gyms do not have A/C running and the make-up will just melt off anyways.

Makeup for tryouts? I would have never considered that as a benefit to tryouts. In fact, in my own opinion I would think the girl cared more about how she looked than how well she performed. Just my $0.02 but my daughter is only 11. To me make-up and hair poofs are just for show and is not needed for tryouts or practice. Give me the hardest working kid the messy hair and sweat dripping down them before the make-up and hair perfect girl who doesn't break a sweat. :) I guess everyone's perception is different. But then again some gyms do not have A/C running and the make-up will just melt off anyways.
For me, as an athlete it's a benefit just because I feel better, more confident with it on. I wouldn't do full make up and giant hair (actually I never do giant hair lol) for the clinic days, just the final day where you have to perform everything in front of the judges.

For me, as an athlete it's a benefit just because I feel better, more confident with it on. I wouldn't do full make up and giant hair (actually I never do giant hair lol) for the clinic days, just the final day where you have to perform everything in front of the judges.

I guess our program runs tryouts differently. Also our gym is not very large, the coaches/owners know every single kid and what they are capable of already. It would be new kids to the program that they will have to get to know better to place on the right team. Our season ends in April and tryouts are in May, so there is only a 3 week down time.

My lord... Maybe we should rename this thread "How salty are coaches during tryout season?"

Shhhhhh, it's like being in the coachs' section without having access... and you know @SharkDad ain't going to let me in THERE! LOL

I guess our program runs tryouts differently. Also our gym is not very large, the coaches/owners know every single kid and what they are capable of already. It would be new kids to the program that they will have to get to know better to place on the right team. Our season ends in April and tryouts are in May, so there is only a 3 week down time.
Lol I guess I just like an excuse to get all dolled up :D

Hey I think my tips are pretty useful!

And yes, there are parents whom I LOVE. I do not actually HATE any parent, I just think there are things parents could stand to remember sometimes in the stress of tryout season (from the perspective of those of us on the other side!)

Most parents who have been doing this for while know how it goes, but every year, there's those moms who are from other gyms/new to cheer/new to the program who need some reminders.

Ex: The whole "don't tell me what skills your kid has" thing. That's more of a personal thing but new moms will come in and talk for 20 min about how Suzy has her full and is ready for 5. My 2 year old nephew can SAY that. I want to see her actually THROW it.

Then we have the veteran cheer moms who just sit, watch, and let the skills do the talking. If their little Jenny has a new skill, they don't talk to me for 20 min about how good it is, they just let me see it!

Last edited:
Back