All-Star The Ultimate Guide To Preparing For Tryouts.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One would think coaches would appreciate the quiet parents more, however when I look around it is always the parents with the biggest mouths who seem to wind up getting exactly what they want for their cp. Sometimes I feel coaches may appreciate the quiet parents but give in to the loud ones in hopes of just shutting them up.
In my experience, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. However, that usually means the squeaky wheel just gets louder and louder. And then multiplies into several different wheels. Thankfully, I am now at a place where that doesn't happen.

In my experience, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. However, that usually means the squeaky wheel just gets louder and louder. And then multiplies into several different wheels. Thankfully, I am now at a place where that doesn't happen.
I wish more gyms would instead replace the squeaky wheel effective immediately. It's usually just a waste of grease.

You can show them better then I can tell them. This is your sport!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

YES.

This is basically what I wish everyone knew.

I want to SEE what your kid can do.

Don't keep telling me about Suzie's tuck improving. Or how she's working really hard on flying and really wants that crossover spot on J3.

If she's doing it, we will notice. Trust me, we see things.

We also notice when a mom does nothing but talk about her daughter's improvements yet her performance and behavior tell us something different. Ex: Suzie is "working really hard at home" but is the "I laugh when my stunt falls" girl every time I see her.

(Yes, I know there are mental blocks and things that look like "not trying" when kids really are. That's not what I'm referring to.)

I've told people rather politely to their faces that what they SAY doesn't match what I see.

It's even better with older children (ex: seniors) because I can tell them how much I hear from them that they "want on senior 3 soooooooo badly" then physically show them the times they were late, left early, etc.

So in summary, what I see gets my attention rather than talk.

YES.

Don't keep telling me about Suzie's tuck improving. Or how she's working really hard on flying and really wants that crossover spot on J3.

We also notice when a mom does nothing but talk about her daughter's improvements yet her performance and behavior tell us something different. Ex: Suzie is "working really hard at home" but is the "I laugh when my stunt falls" girl every time I see her.

(Yes, I know there are mental blocks and things that look like "not trying" when kids really are. That's not what I'm referring to.)

I've told people rather politely to their faces that what they SAY doesn't match what I see.

It's even better with older children (ex: seniors) because I can tell them how much I hear from them that they "want on senior 3 soooooooo badly" then physically show them the times they were late, left early, etc.

You really need to get out of my head.

Never thought of zhooshing it up for tryouts. My daughter has been with the same program since she started at 3. I always knew what team she would be on based on the skills she has and her age. The only shocker was last yr when she was placed on a team I didn't expect at all. This year maybe I will add some makeup to the mix.

YES.

What happpens when you don't see it because Suzie is never given the chance to show you?
I can tell you what I see happens, Suzie quits trying to improve because she feels she's never going to be given a chance anyhow.

What happpens when you don't see it because Suzie is never given the chance to show you?
I can tell you what I see happens, Suzie quits trying to improve because she feels she's never going to be given a chance anyhow.

I get your point. That comes down to coaching. Mom or Dad may not understand that Susie could have improved her flying 10000%, but if it's mid competition season and she's one of my best bases, I'm not making a switch. It's my job as a coach to give her a shot during summer practices. If the coaches aren't switching kids around and trying different positions in the summer, then they are bound to miss out on a couple of surprise talented kids. But I'm not going to play musical flyers in February because Susie got better...unless Sally got worse.

What you pack in your head and your heart is more important than what you pack in your bag. Coaches want you to make the team. They want as many talented athletes as their program can hold. They do not want to turn away customers.
Bring your desire- show that you want to be there. Bring your best attitude. Show that you want to work hard, you are willing to try new things, you can take feedback and use it. Be just as proud of being a great level 2 as a great level 5. Be happy to be on the best level whatever team at the gym you are proud of. You want to cheer. You want to cheer for a team that has a good chance of being successful. You want to learn as much as you can. The gym can teach you technique but you have to bring the attitude, presence and coachability with you. They don't sell it at the gym. Good luck to all of you!

all I can say is this is my CP's first year on Allstar as she was on a prep team last year. Her try out was no pressure in front of one person ( and he is her private coach). I let her actions speak for themselves. I as a parent have no clue about form, position etc... that's what the coaches are for. If she wanted to make a high level team then its up to her to work hard to master the next level. I just pay the bills!

I get your point. That comes down to coaching. Mom or Dad may not understand that Susie could have improved her flying 10000%, but if it's mid competition season and she's one of my best bases, I'm not making a switch. It's my job as a coach to give her a shot during summer practices. If the coaches aren't switching kids around and trying different positions in the summer, then they are bound to miss out on a couple of surprise talented kids. But I'm not going to play musical flyers in February because Susie got better...unless Sally got worse.
And that makes perfect sense. But I've seen it in two different gyms in off season. I've also seen the squeaky wheel get the grease. Frustrating at times,to say the least.

Can someone offer tips for the tryout? Like athletes perspective?(not that the advice is bad but I think I am a bit nervous and I'D like to know what to do rather what colour to wear on my lips) lots of these tips have been pretty helpful. How do I get them to see I am willing to work hard without having my mother tell the coaches about my standing double when I only have a round off Tuck?

Last edited:
Back