All-Star "thigh And Body Rubbing"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Perfect example of a lovely center prep gone wrong. Everything cute fine and sassy until 1:51. Just why.

Interesting enough, I feel like you don't notice it/see it much on large teams (and maybe even medium) until the dance (if you see it at all). You tend to notice it more in small where you need to choreograph enough so the center looks interesting, but not SO much that you tire them out. Large teams have enough going on where you don't run the risk of dead time in center.

I feel like things wouldn't get so out of hand if we actually enforced the rules that are already in the rule book (even if it just starts with warnings). Same goes with unis- cover up rules might not be needed so much if we START with unis that don't look like scraps of fabric held together by ribbons.

Wow! I didn't even realize that was in our routine, but I personally don't see where it was so inappropriate (and we are pretty conservative when it comes to that stuff). Did it need to be there? No. But you must have been looking really hard to find this as your example of inappropriate.... I do agree there are far too many examples out there that do cross the line. I guess it depends upon where the line is drawn.

No.clue what pics you're talking about, i thought we were discussing performances

There's been discussion of both. And I have seen these photos on the popular page (I don't follow cheerleaders that aren't athletes at my gym on Instagram) from nearly every large gym in the country. And it usually is mimicking something from their routine. I found find the pictures if I knew their names/weren't minors (I assume most of them are).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might have to just give out blanket warnings on anything borderline the first couple competitions. Even if the comment is simply 'tone it down next time or get a deduction.' Sometimes it's easier to say when you see it happen. Or even just use clips of what you don't want to see anymore. I'm more than willing to make a hilarious infomercial of what NOT to do in a center prep, featuring fantastic moves such as The Squatty Potty Booty Pop (a classic choice), The Body Roll Breakdown (50% chance of stunt fall!), Sweaty Palm Thigh Swipe (hey- there's lots of hand holding in center prep. Maybe they're just nervous!) and for dance- the Berserk Twerk (high chance of back injury- use with caution!).

The funny thing about the Cheer Savannah video- the center prep, fabulous. And then you get to dance and there's one girl bending another over and grinding. *sigh*

Love this!

Yes. And I cannot STAND the "sexy hair tousle". These sex kitten moves aren't just inappropriate, they're boring. It seems every team has the same standard catalogue of fierce postures.

I think when you get to a worlds level, all teams are so extremely talented. And adding some flare, attitude, sass helps make one team stand out more than the rest.

Its so competitive so you have to bring some individuality to the routine.

Kind of like...those props being used.
I'm not a fan of props at all but I will admit it makes that team stand apart from the rest.

I think when you get to a worlds level, all teams are so extremely talented. And adding some flare, attitude, sass helps make one team stand out more than the rest.

Its so competitive so you have to bring some individuality to the routine.

Kind of like...those props being used.
I'm not a fan of props at all but I will admit it makes that team stand apart from the rest.
There's tons of ways to stand out without doing moves that some would consider inappropriate.

See also: The "we bad, you mad drop it low with your booty out facing the camera" photos.

Stop yourselves.

You not bad. We not mad. You ridiculous, and you grounded from social media if your parents see it.

Or let's be real, you probably not grounded because your mom monitors your social media and thinks it's cute (while secretly hoping you become cheer famous.)
I was SO over that when it first came out!!! You are not gangsta so yes...STOP!

Wow! I didn't even realize that was in our routine, but I personally don't see where it was so inappropriate (and we are pretty conservative when it comes to that stuff). Did it need to be there? No. But you must have been looking really hard to find this as your example of inappropriate.... I do agree there are far too many examples out there that do cross the line. I guess it depends upon where the line is drawn.
Honestly? I figured I'd look at Top 3 and see what choreo was like for each, starting with large coed. Where truthfully- I expected to see something in a TG routine (they get a little out-of-the-box sometimes) and found nothing. You won, you were first in the Sm AG that I looked at. You were the first I saw that did that (4th video total viewed). Therefore I posted. Trust me- looking through Worlds vids it's NOT that hard to find.

Is it cover-your-children's eyes bad or the worst version of that move that I've seen (because that bad boy is EVERYWHERE)? No. But did it need to be done? Also no. Like I said in my previous post- tons of great choreo, it didn't need the booty pop.

Being a feminist- there's the one hand of not wanting girls to be ashamed of their bodies or that parts of what make them up (including sexuality/sexual identities) are wrong. On the other hand- these performances are designed to show their athleticism and athletic performance...not any other type of performance.

I've seen judging panels. The 23 year old choreographer is going to look at such moves differently than the 52 year with grand children. There needs to be consistency, outline whats over sexual and deduct as necessary. I also think music and voice-overs need to be held to the same standards. I remember when either Peach or Orange had a song over that almost made me uncomfortable. I think it was maybe 2 seasons ago?

I'm of the thought that if you feel you need to add sass and flair to your routine outside of the skills and motions choreographed, then you need to work a lot harder on your skills in the gym so that what you put on the floor is of the highest caliber cheerleading possible for your team/division.

I guess I am in the minority. To me, most of the moves used as exmples are showmanship and nothing else. I enjoy a little sass in a routine. If the majority of the routine was twerking or if they were lying on the floor with their legs wide open, maybe I would feel differently, but these examples don't upset me.

(cp 8 on a J1)

ETA- if the whole routine was characterized as sexual then I might feel differently, but these kids are showing so much athleticism and talent, that I personally feel a little sass is on order ;)

Back