All-Star Tips For A New Coach

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 21, 2010
Hi everyone. I just got a job at a small gym as a coach for both their cheer and gymnastics programs, and was wondering if yall had any tips for me. I have personal experience in both sports, but this will be my first time coaching so any advice from some coaching veterans would be great. Thanks so much!

Stand your ground on your beliefs when it comes to the ethics of the sports and how you move up children within your program. Always make your athletes feel special ( when deserved of course ) and important no matter if they are tiny 1 or Senior 4, people work harder for you when they feel appreciated.

Remember that every Child is different and you have to be patient to learn each individual and how they work. Keep the parents out from day one, set clear rules and stay positive no matter what. Be the leader that everyone including yourself would like to look up to and set yourself some goals each year for your team and yourself.

Have fun with the kids, but always remain in a position of authority. Tell them the truth. If something doesn't look good, tell them. At the same time, there should always be something positive.

I don't know how old you are but if you are young, just remember...THESE KIDS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS!!! Yes they think you are super cool and you love that they look up to you, but that is what it is super important to stay their coach and remain an authority figure. They will not listen if they don't respect you, and if the don't listen, you get nothing done. And if you get nothing done, you get kind of a sucky team and that makes you a kind of sucky coach=)

Back