Tips/help On Full?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 19, 2011
I've been in gymnastics since i was 7, and this year is my first year cheering all stars. I didn't exactly "try out" i more so walked onto a senior coed level 5 team with a layout and jumps to back. Tumbling was always my strongest point in gymnastics, but the pace you move at with tumbling in gymnastics and the tumbling in cheerleading is so different. In gymnastics with a layout, you could be a level 7 gymnast ( for those of you who aren't familar with gymnastics, there are 10 levels) because you aren't required to full until level 8, but in cheer you would be on a level 4 team.Being on a level 5 team really means i should have a full. My height is ridiculous because of the muscle in my thighs and the heel drive i learned from gymnastics. My full onto a mat is as high has a double on the floor, but it really scares me. I always make it all the way around, but im honestly lost and i can't figure out how to spot the ground. I know what your thinking, get a spot, right? Well, in gymnastics i was NEVER spotted ( my coach was 5 feet tall and 100 pounds, im 5'6 and pushing 140, you get the picture ). I am basically self taught on all of my skills. I will never be used to someone touching me while im spinning. My goal was a full by worlds, but seeing that its in a week, that's not going to happen. My new goal is, a full by tryouts at the end of April so i can stay on my team. Any tips, advice, honestly anything would help. Thank you so much :))

Im exac
I've been in gymnastics since i was 7, and this year is my first year cheering all stars. I didn't exactly "try out" i more so walked onto a senior coed level 5 team with a layout and jumps to back. Tumbling was always my strongest point in gymnastics, but the pace you move at with tumbling in gymnastics and the tumbling in cheerleading is so different. In gymnastics with a layout, you could be a level 7 gymnast ( for those of you who aren't familar with gymnastics, there are 10 levels) because you aren't required to full until level 8, but in cheer you would be on a level 4 team.Being on a level 5 team really means i should have a full. My height is ridiculous because of the muscle in my thighs and the heel drive i learned from gymnastics. My full onto a mat is as high has a double on the floor, but it really scares me. I always make it all the way around, but im honestly lost and i can't figure out how to spot the ground. I know what your thinking, get a spot, right? Well, in gymnastics i was NEVER spotted ( my coach was 5 feet tall and 100 pounds, im 5'6 and pushing 140, you get the picture ). I am basically self taught on all of my skills. I will never be used to someone touching me while im spinning. My goal was a full by worlds, but seeing that its in a week, that's not going to happen. My new goal is, a full by tryouts at the end of April so i can stay on my team. Any tips, advice, honestly anything would help. Thank you so much :))
Im exactly like u but i went on to a level 4 team with a full but yeah the more u do it the more u get ur body use to it but take a spot for when u land not for the actual flip it will get u use to the landing

I had the same problem as you. I didn't understand where the ground was or where to find it. When you spin, keep your head and chin tucked into your shoulder. The ground will always be over your shoulder. If you keep looking there, you will find it. For example, if you twist right, keep your chin tucked into your right shoulder. If you twist left, keep your chin tucked into left shoulder. And, you talked about your height - height is never a bad thing. If your already super high, and have a nice landing, then it should be easier to double when you get to it :)

Same here. I was terrified of fulls even though my coaches always told me i had more than enough height. I tumble with my eyes closed most of the time so spotting anything while tumbling never really sunk in with me but im starting to learn how to feel where I am and where the floor is and it helps a lot. I just had to keep trying until i got over my fears and just went for it. Good luck at tryouts :)

Back