OT Tips On Competition Stress

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 3, 2011
Hey everyone! I didn't exactly know where to place this thread so I'm placing it here. I have the my first comp of the season in Detroit tomorrow and I'm more nervous than I have ever been before a comp. Last night at my tumbling lesson I could not ger myself to throw my tumbling at all. My coach spotted me the whole time. I did one really high set and bailed and landed on my back. I'm just a litttle freaked out. Its usually a tumbling line I have no problem with! Any tips or tricks to deal with the stress( Especially for new tumbling lines you compete for the first time ;) ) would be soooooooo helpful! Thanks :)

There are many books and websites devoted to mental training. I think it is almost as important as physical training, if not more (since your mind controls your body to begin with). To help you feel better tonight, do a google searches about "mental training". You will find that most of the websites are trying to sell you their programs, but if you read through them you will get some really great tips!! When you have some time (later after you compete) you should look into purchasing or checking out some books on mental training/ mental toughness. They really helped my daughter :).

Good luck!!

There are many books and websites devoted to mental training. I think it is almost as important as physical training, if not more (since your mind controls your body to begin with). To help you feel better tonight, do a google searches about "mental training". You will find that most of the websites are trying to sell you their programs, but if you read through them you will get some really great tips!! When you have some time (later after you compete) you should look into purchasing or checking out some books on mental training/ mental toughness. They really helped my daughter :).

Good luck!!
Do you have any to recommend?

It always helps me to read inspiring quotes and listen to music that pumps me up!! You just have to be confident in yourself, mind over matter:) Debbie Love's articles are amazing and highly recommended.

competition stress, everyone's best friend....

so, i typically appear very calm before i compete, but secretly i'm a headcase. i have a horrible problem with the word disappointment, it eats me alive inside.... so what do i do?
for one, i have an inspirational competition playlist. calms my nerves beyond all belief. it was actually made for me by my lil sis from allstars. greatest stress reliever, gets my mind off of things. i also carry a copy of the optimist's creed with me, and i read it faithfully. i always say a little prayer to myself backstage as well, and just make sure to keep taking deep breaths and reassure myself that i CAN do it. you'd be surprised how much those words work. if you tell yourself, and you really and truly mean it, you'll work wonders out there. i also always tell myself, fierce is what i do, diva is who i be :D believe it or not, self talk works wonders. and lastly, i play the entire routine in my head, all the way to the jumping on and hugging my teamates at the end after we hit :D
hope this helps!

Back