Toe Touch Help!

Discussion in 'Cheer Newbies' started by meghanpham, Jul 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. meghanpham

meghanpham I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Hi everyone, I am a first year cheerleader for my high school and I am having trouble with my jumps. My posture is hunched and I don’t hit a full straddle in the air. I’m a competitive dancer so my flexibility is pretty good, I have all my splits down so I don’t think it’s a flexibility problem. My abs and core strength are average, could use some work, but I think the biggest problem is leg strength. I never really focused on leg strength so if any of you have any jump exercises (mostly focused on legs) please let me know!

2. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    -Jump squats
    -Switch lunges
    -Kicks on both sides and both legs foward(fast AND slow)
    -Leg lifts in a straddle and pike position
    -T-jumps(focus on motions here!!)

3. brookietherookie

brookietherookie I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I was center jumps in middle school and there were a few things that I think really helped with my toe touches:

1. Leg lifts with ankle weights. I don't really see people use these anymore, but my mum had some from the 80's and they were really helpful for me!
    2. As mentioned above, kicks on both sides. I liked to watch the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders for inspiration!
    3. Also mentioned above, leg lifts in a straddle position. These can be really painful but they are great for building muscle!
    4. Just repeatedly doing toe touches. I would practice on the floor in front of a mirror and critique myself over and over again. I also worked on the trampoline a lot.

Hope this helps!