All-Star Too Many Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

1. Someone didn't read my post. In my post above when I start the sentence my gym is non profit where I am speaking to Just A Mom where i say "what you don't know is..." Oh can't find it? I didn't type that.
2. I did indeed take it personally about "some sponsors." After all, you quoted my reply. so which part of the paragraph was directed at everyone: "If you don't want to spend the money to go far away to a national championship, then don't. But that doesn't mean that they should be held all over the country. Like I said before, who else does that??? Get some sponsors to pay for your trip like every other sport in the country." Who was that directed to? If not me, then who, since again, you quoted my reply, who was it to?
3. It is your opinion and mine. And you are entitled to it, but when you quote my statements and respond to them, then you are speaking to me. Giving ME your opinion about what I wrote. And I am answering. I do have a tendency to become hostile when I get insulted.
4. I am a mom too and never implied you were uneducated. Whereas you stated: "I guess you think "mom" means uneducated...since being just a mom automatically means i don't know this (your words not mine}", I say find it. Find where I said that. You are the one who stated "My name is "Just-a-Mom" for a reason--because that's all I am. I'm not rich, I don't own a gym, I don't coach. " I said because you were just a mom, you PROBABLY don't know.....
And to clarify, I stated this because YOU said you were not rich, don't own a gym, don't coach, etc., and the impression you gave was that you did not have the same information as gym owners (although how owning a gym equates to being rich, I will never know), and coaches that you really didn't know that most competition companies don't have a staff of judges.

Im on a phone and on my way to a funeral so I'll have to reply to most of this later. Just wanted to clarify that owning a gym and being rich were 2 separate things that i am not. Meaning Im not rich so Im not saying "oh blah...take your kids wherever nationals is...its just money" AND i don't own a gym so Im looking at this from a parents pov. Not that i don't understand the gym owner's perspective...i just don't share it.

Its really hard to make what Im saying clear on a phone and it keeps coming out differently than i intend so Im giving up until Im near an actual computer again.

Im on a phone and on my way to a funeral so I'll have to reply to most of this later. Just wanted to clarify that owning a gym and being rich were 2 separate things that i am not. Meaning Im not rich so Im not saying "oh blah...take your kids wherever nationals is...its just money" AND i don't own a gym so Im looking at this from a parents pov. Not that i don't understand the gym owner's perspective...i just don't share it.

Its really hard to make what Im saying clear on a phone and it keeps coming out differently than i intend so Im giving up until Im near an actual computer again.

Gotcha. And very sorry for your loss (honestly). And sometimes the written word gives a harsher edge to that thoughts we are both trying to convey.

Actually the suggestion that they shouldn't exist has specifically been made. More than once.

As to having one Nationals: are the suggestions for one, period? Or one per EP? Because I'm pretty sure that a great many (not sure I can say most) EP's only have one Nationals. I know for sure that Cheersport, UCA and NCA only have one Nationals.

I should clarify that I personally don't think you get rid of competition companies, much like I don't think you get rid of college football bowl games even though I believe there should be an NCAA-sanctioned playoff. Those companies should be producing events for teams to participate in and can and should be part of any USASF-sanctioned "national" event.

My point is that there are some companies that have multiple national events, and that's confusing and dilutes the concept of a "national" championship. And even some of the companies that have a single national event, like UCA, basically let anyone enter the national championship regardless of how you did in a regional competition.

My point is that there are some companies that have multiple national events, and that's confusing and dilutes the concept of a "national" championship. And even some of the companies that have a single national event, like UCA, basically let anyone enter the national championship regardless of how you did in a regional competition.

I do prefer a single national championship and wish the companies that don't do it would change. But obviously their business model seems to be working for thiem.

I don't have a problem with the "open" concept of a national championship because of the incredible variation in quality from regional to regional. Teams in Kentucky or New Jersey or Texas shouldn't be penalized because of the competition when many other states could sleep walk through a regional to qualify.

I guess the upside of living in Australia is when we have a Nationals (AASCF Nationals) and win the title we can actually boost about being the best in the country...

The only competition taken 100% seriously is "worlds" but that is only for levels 5+ there needs to e something for the lower levels too that really declares a champion. I agree having all these Nationals is a serious problem!

The biggest problem is that many gyms will actively avoid going against difficult competitors if they can. They prefer to go to a small competition and win than a big competition and potentially place lower. This creates the incentive for event producers to keep opening up new events all over the place.

If you could manage to convince the gyms to always prefer the larger events, the problem would probably fix itself in a couple of years. Fewer, larger events would help alleviate MANY problems in our industry.

To a point I agree with this philosophy. When you have a small gym or an up and coming gym, every event should not be a LARGE competition. You are trying to GROW and get your feet wet and competing against gyms who have 100s of kids doesn't help. People can say whatever they want but larger gyms have larger staffs, larger money pool, and more athletes to choose from to cross compete. I see larger gyms that have NUMEROUS kids cross competing on more than 2-3 teams and smaller gyms have to work 10 times as hard to barely even survive. Unless your a coach or gym owner of this type of gym you won't understand. It's not about stepping it up, its about making smart decisions. I think every program should attend a couple large events, but these larger overpriced events aren't for everybody and every gym.

Latest posts

Back