All-Star Top Gun Uniform Discussion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You can read into my post whatever you want. Let's just suffice it to say my daughters would NOT be in cheer if the gyms around us were required to wear revealing uniforms or were doing dances that would make their grandmother faint (your words, not mine). There is a line between athletic and inappropriate. By your own admission cheerleading where you are from is "not conservative". "Not conservative" to me means inappropriate.

I have always loved to watch Top Gun and no one has EVER come close to the creativity and originality that your gym brings to our sport. And for that I have a ton of respect for your gym. I enjoyed every TG routine I saw this past weekend, including the international teams. Uniforms, however, I cannot respect. That's my choice. I wasn't even going to comment about them at all until you tried to claim that cheer is not conservative, because it is pretty much everywhere but Miami apparently.

I'm sure conservative in Miami is probably very different than conservative in some other places... I can agree with that. I just think that there is way too much being made about this topic. I truly do not feel that my daughter was dressed inappropriately and I am a father who is very protective. Perhaps it is because of where we live. I don't agree that "not conservative" means inappropriate. I also don't agree that because my daughter puts on a top that you wouldn't put your daughter in that she is therefor immoral or unethical.

As far as cheer being conservative, again you are looking at it from your own moral perspective. My grandmother feels that cheer is not conservative at all because the girls are wearing skirts that show their bloomers when they compete. She feels that is not conservative at all. She feels a lady should be covered to her knees at all times. That was my point about the conservative arguement. She also feels that even one hip gyration is inappropriate for a lady. So my point is that the definition of conservative has changed over the years and really lies within the eye of the beholder. I'm sure there are many very religious organizations out there who would NEVER approve of cheerleading because of those two factors.

Either way, I'm just expressing my opinion. I'm sure many out there may not have been OK with the uniforms and that is fine. I can assure you that the parents of the athletes on TG who wore the outfits were perfectly fine with them (minus the malfunctions... as I'm quite sure no parent would be ok with that!). I will agree that they certainly aren't for everyone!

My only problem with this is that I feel like this is something that should be taken into consideration before the uniform is performed in. First, and correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't this past weekend the first time the uniforms were worn? So they were made knowing who was on the team already, and with plenty of time to fit the girls first. And second, as has been asked numerous times already, why wouldn't they do a dress rehearsal??? I know when my daughters get a new uni, they try them on. They stretch, jump, tumble in them.

Did these girls just receive the uniforms this weekend, throw them on, and run out onto the floor? Without trying them on and making sure they fit and were going to stay on during the routine? I'm sorry but I feel like maybe TG was so busy trying to show off their designing creativity and forward thinking in the industry that they didn't spend any time trying to see if this was actually a good decision or not.

(***And FWIW I am glad the photos have been taken down.)

I don't have first hand knowledge if they had the opportunity to try them on and/or have a dress rehearsal prior to wearing them at NCA. Probably would have been a good idea. Lesson learned I'm sure.

For those of you who are concerned about what your children are going to think...did you ever actually think about what we're wearing?

Tiny's, Mini's, Youth 2 and Junior 2 are all in full piece uniforms...

Youth 3, Jr 4, Sr2, Coed 3, Sr Open 5 and Coed are all in regular crop tops...

Our Naples gym doesn't care for the more risque looks at all so the opt for shells and liners and it looks great on them...

i5 and i6 are the two oldest teams in our program and thus have taken on older looks that in our culture, society, part of the country w/e term you'd like to use is not out of the ordinary...it's OUR STYLE. And yes, this weekends representation had flaws which we are working on...whats that? Did I just admit to the Big Bad Wolf not being perfect? thats right...were not perfect...nor do we pretend to be or want to be held to a pedestal of perfection...some of you can accept that and some of you can't b/c I'm sure you'll have some sort of rebuttal or refute to throw on this issue as soon as your finished reading this post.

Back