All-Star Top Gun Uniform Discussion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I for one am glad this discussion is taking place and I personally feel it is more beneficial to the industry as a whole so that we can all learn from this. Plus its more productive than beating the dead horse again regarding 12 yr old/itty bitty flyers.

I applaud Top Gun for continuously pushing the envelope when it comes to uniforms. They consistently set the bar, raise the bar and break the bar. I remember everyone gagging when they came out with that "risque" uniform in 04 or 05.

That being said, at some point you need to draw the line. I suppose appropriateness is another subjective aspect of this sport, but what about practicality? These uniforms simply were not practical and it is evident in the shifting, tugging and readjusting as document in the video and photographs, I understand the argument that "Well Top Gun can pull it off and they all look good in it", but you need to remember that just because you "can" do something doesnt mean you should do something.

So again, I applaud Top Gun for their effort and design, but I think they need to go back to the drawing board and make some adjustments. This can be a learning experience in uniform design for the entire industry.

Just because the girls wearing them are fit and athletics (and by all means they certainly are - way more than I am), doesn't mean that the uniforms they're wearing are athletic. They're not, they look like bathing suits. And I don't know about you, but when I wear a bandeau top bathing suit I hold on to it when I jump into the water or a pool, I couldn't even imagine competing in it.

As for your second argument - none of the changes to the uniforms we as a sport have ever made have been an attempt to get cheerleading recognized as a sport. I'm not even sure what you're arguing. If making our uniforms skimpier hasn't helped then neither will making them less revealing? Is that your argument? The only people I know who have attempted to turn cheerleading uniforms into something athletic and legitimate that will help to improve our image is NCATA and STUNT. Otherwise, our uniforms act as nothing more than costumes.

And as for uniforms mattering or not mattering - I don't really think they do. I think we try and one up our opponents off the mat with flashier uniforms, but I don't really think they make or break anyones scores. I've seen some kick booty Open teams blow everyone else out of the water wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Me personally I try to avoid wearing bathing suit tops whenever possible :)

In regards to what I was arguing....it was basically exactly what you said. Uniforms have never before helped or hindered us from being recognized as a sport whether we were covering from head to toe or wearing barely anything. I did not mean for my post to at all seem like we need to wear less in order to be more "sport-like" if you will. It was more a response to a statement made that certain uniforms make us look like a joke, rather than an argument to one side or the other of the effect of uniforms on our image as a sport. Sorry for any confusion.

I still agree with Kisten that the shortening of uniforms is in direct correlation with the growing effects of global warming.

if everyone is complaining about girls having to pull on the tops, why is there no complaint about every other team when bloomers ride up and the girls are having to pull them down throughout the routine, when you can see just as much but just in a different area?

Boy, if these uniforms draw this much talk, I can't wait to see what the chat will be when we roll out our body painted uniforms for worlds... hehe... just kidding of course.

And by the way, my oldest daughter Ashley is on the I5 team so I'll chime in on this one. I thought she looked great in the uniform. I'd rather see the stretchy shorts over the bloomers any day. As a father, i've always had issues when my dauthers are pulling bows and have bloomers on. I like the shorts much better. As far as the tops go, I'm sure they'll make the adjustments needed to make sure there aren't any further malfunctions.

Bottom line is that Cheer isn't a conservative sport. If you don't like skimpy uniforms and dance moves that would cause some grandmothers to faint, then cheerleading is probably not the sport for you.

Bottom line is that Cheer isn't a conservative sport. If you don't like skimpy uniforms and dance moves that would cause some grandmothers to faint, then cheerleading is probably not the sport for you.

LOL I may disagree there. Every seen a video of a CAC team? Welcome to the boards!
smile.png

Boy, if these uniforms draw this much talk, I can't wait to see what the chat will be when we roll out our body painted uniforms for worlds... hehe... just kidding of course.

And by the way, my oldest daughter Ashley is on the I5 team so I'll chime in on this one. I thought she looked great in the uniform. I'd rather see the stretchy shorts over the bloomers any day. As a father, i've always had issues when my dauthers are pulling bows and have bloomers on. I like the shorts much better. As far as the tops go, I'm sure they'll make the adjustments needed to make sure there aren't any further malfunctions.

Ok, I wasn't gonna chime in on this, but this bothers me. Ya'll in Miami can wear whatever you want and dance however you want, but don't say cheer isn't a conservative sport because in MOST of the U S of A it is. And we pride ourselves with the fact that our kids can participate in such an amazing sport without selling out "morally" or "ethically" while doing so. My girls happen to belong to a gym that would NEVER wear inappropriate uniforms that show cleavage or whatever and would never be sexually provocative in their dances. As a matter of fact, when we have a choreographer come in and do a dance and we as a staff feel it's inappropriate, we change it the minute they leave. Cheer absolutely is a conservative sport if you are at the right gym....

Ok, I wasn't gonna chime in on this, but this bothers me. Ya'll in Miami can wear whatever you want and dance however you want, but don't say cheer isn't a conservative sport because in MOST of the U S of A it is. And we pride ourselves with the fact that our kids can participate in such an amazing sport without selling out "morally" or "ethically" while doing so. My girls happen to belong to a gym that would NEVER wear inappropriate uniforms that show cleavage or whatever and would never be sexually provocative in their dances. As a matter of fact, when we have a choreographer come in and do a dance and we as a staff feel it's inappropriate, we change it the minute they leave. Cheer absolutely is a conservative sport if you are at the right gym....

Agreed.
I really think the bottom line is this - am I possibly going to see someone's ta-ta's or hoo-ha? If the answer is even thought about as being a "Yes!" you need to rethink your wardrobe. Look at your choices. If I wanted to see that I could go to Hooters and eat some slightly overrated hot wings and leave somewhat happy with a full tummy. However, right now a majority of people aren't leaving happy -- it's cheerleading - and a lot of members are underage. I'm kind of shocked because this shouldn't even be a conversation right now.

I'm going to have to agree and disagree with that. Skimpy uniforms no. Uniforms that are flattering and comfortable to the (athletic) athlete...yes. I've seen practice clothing that is very tight, but again the argument is that it is comfortable for the athlete to practice in.

I don't think that if parents knew that eventually their "baby girls" are going to have to eventually perform in something in something just shy of a bathing suit, that they would be signing up their 4 year old for a tiny team.

Dance moves that will make some grandmothers faint...should never be acceptable. We should never be okay with that. It takes away from the credibilty of this sport and in turn just perpetuates stereotypes.

if everyone is complaining about girls having to pull on the tops, why is there no complaint about every other team when bloomers ride up and the girls are having to pull them down throughout the routine, when you can see just as much but just in a different area?

Because if you don't adjust/tug on your bottoms you will be uncomfortable and showing some cheek. If you don't adjust/tug on the top you will be NAKED. Completely different.

If you don't cheer at Top Gun why are you worried? You don't have to wear the Uniform at all nor do your kids. This is a none issue and their are so many things to be concerned with for one uniform attention. For those of you who disagree its respected, for those of you who just like to hate well then that's your choice as well and just keep it movin.

If you don't cheer at Top Gun why are you worried? You don't have to wear the Uniform at all nor do your kids. This is a none issue and their are so many things to be concerned with for one uniform attention. For those of you who disagree its respected, for those of you who just like to hate well then that's your choice as well and just keep it movin.

If things like this don't need to be discussed and evaluated...what is the purpose of this message board? It drives me nuts when people are unable to discuss something rationally and calming and instead throw out the "if it does not directly concern you then dont worry about it card. "

Besides, people have to watch them perform in these uniforms. Judges have to judge them while they are wearing it. They are in public

Back