All-Star Torn Between Cheer! D:

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 3, 2012
So, I'm about to switch gyms and I just finally decided not to do High School Cheer. The main reasons were Stress, money, and my coach was leaving.
The Cheer gym that i'm going to is 1 hour away and tuition is almost $100 higher, so I FINALLY convinced my mom to let me cheer there, especially since I wouldn't be HS cheer and we would have more money.

BUT today, my 'old' coach decided to tell us she'll be coaching next year as well.
This means if I cheer I could have one last chance at winning state. We were 3rd this year. It's a bit more of a stretch next year but it's possible! But, I'm not sure I could be able to do both next year because of how far this gym is, and practice times, etc.

Here's my question:
My head is telling me to only do Allstar cheer and focus on that and school and myself ( I will be a Senior)
but my Heart is telling me to do HS cheer too, because we could win state. Help me Make a decision? I NEED your opinion!

Key Info:
- I will not choose HS cheer over this new gym. I want it far too much.
- I would have to work hard to get sponsors if I did HS Cheer (about $500 worth)
- I will not be allowed to miss either practice for another practice (can't miss all star cheer for HS cheer, etc.)
- I won't know my All-star Schedule until about August (missing all of summer practices/camp for HS cheer)
- I Dont want to make a decision i'll regret.

That is a tough one. If you tryout for high school and then have to quit cause of a conflict, how big of a deal is that? Have you let the high school coach know your situation?

Be open and honest with both coaches when determining if this is going to work for you.

It is REALLY easy and tempting at this point for you to really want to do both and try to downplay the amount of time you may need to miss of either team's events. Don't.

The last thing any coach wants is for someone to say "Oh I only need to miss a couple of games!" then in August it's "I NEED these 6 games off for Friday practice." Or "I need to miss choreography week for school camp!" That is frustrating. So be honest, even if it means for sure that you will only be able to do one.

And as to the "what if you try out for high school and just quit if it's too much?" question: That is a waste of coaches' time.

Bottom line: If these are both "can't miss" programs, and there is no negotiation on either part, you will need to decide.

Also, when you commit to school cheer, you're not just committing to competing and state. You are committing to games and spirit activities as well. If you do not have an interest in those, then it may not be for you, because there are likely attendance requirements for those, as you do not get to pick and choose which activities you'll participate in.

As the parent of a senior wrapping up a year of doing "both"... Don't forget time for college apps and visits (if that is in your plans) plus other fun senior things you will want to do (dances etc) It was a juggle through football season and then downright impossible during basketball. We were fortunate her HS coaches were fond of her and looked the other way on many missed games/practices.

That is a tough one. If you tryout for high school and then have to quit cause of a conflict, how big of a deal is that? Have you let the high school coach know your situation?
Yes she's aware. She wants me to cheer she she's got a bias opinion her "advice" didnt work well lol

I personally made the choice to do HS cheer. AS was an option financially but logistically, I would miss HS games/events.

It came down to-what would I miss more? I did AS in middle school and had taken a break. My parents and HS coach were open to me doing AS in addition to school but as you quickly find out, the AS schedule supercedes HS, because you have travel times, two day comps in addition to practice.

If events in HS like-cheering at games, hanging out with friends, are more important to you in your senior year-pick HS. AS also has the option of half-year which would be less time consuming. I often regret not doing half year teams, because it really would've given me the opportunity to have the best of both worlds.

Make a pros and cons list for both high school and allstars( it sounds like you have a mental one) I'm in the same situation but I'm not a senior and the list has helped a little when I was picking. Also think about what classes you are taking and the amount of homework you'll have each night, if you will/do have a job and how much school you'll miss for competitions or traveling to football games.

Also please remember it is a lot on your body doing both. There will be days when you have high school and all star practice back to back. That's what was the hardest for my daughter this year the exhaustion she felt in the last hour of all star practice,which was hour 3 or 4 of cheer after school all day.

Also please remember it is a lot on your body doing both. There will be days when you have high school and all star practice back to back. That's what was the hardest for my daughter this year the exhaustion she felt in the last hour of all star practice,which was hour 3 or 4 of cheer after school all day.
Yeah, I did both this year and last year

Make a pros and cons list for both high school and allstars( it sounds like you have a mental one) I'm in the same situation but I'm not a senior and the list has helped a little when I was picking. Also think about what classes you are taking and the amount of homework you'll have each night, if you will/do have a job and how much school you'll miss for competitions or traveling to football games.
Only Allstar misses school for compeitions and we don't go to away games

I personally made the choice to do HS cheer. AS was an option financially but logistically, I would miss HS games/events.

It came down to-what would I miss more? I did AS in middle school and had taken a break. My parents and HS coach were open to me doing AS in addition to school but as you quickly find out, the AS schedule supercedes HS, because you have travel times, two day comps in addition to practice.

If events in HS like-cheering at games, hanging out with friends, are more important to you in your senior year-pick HS. AS also has the option of half-year which would be less time consuming. I often regret not doing half year teams, because it really would've given me the opportunity to have the best of both worlds.

Well, i'm not trying to pick one or the other (thats out of the questions lol) i'm trying to decide to just do allstar or do both again

Also, when you commit to school cheer, you're not just committing to competing and state. You are committing to games and spirit activities as well. If you do not have an interest in those, then it may not be for you, because there are likely attendance requirements for those, as you do not get to pick and choose which activities you'll participate in.
Well, I did high school cheer & allstar all 3 years so i'm aware of the big commitment,

Be open and honest with both coaches when determining if this is going to work for you.

It is REALLY easy and tempting at this point for you to really want to do both and try to downplay the amount of time you may need to miss of either team's events. Don't.

The last thing any coach wants is for someone to say "Oh I only need to miss a couple of games!" then in August it's "I NEED these 6 games off for Friday practice." Or "I need to miss choreography week for school camp!" That is frustrating. So be honest, even if it means for sure that you will only be able to do one.

And as to the "what if you try out for high school and just quit if it's too much?" question: That is a waste of coaches' time.

Bottom line: If these are both "can't miss" programs, and there is no negotiation on either part, you will need to decide.

Well, actually my coach wouldn't have a problem with me missing games becuase our competition team is allowed to miss games while game-day teams arent. Allstar will have set days for practice so not missing for either isn't very hard since i've been doing it for 3 years now lol, I know they're both very time consuming and time management is a must

Back