All-Star Toss To Hands

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 23, 2010
what conditioning is best to base a toss to hands? any drills? especially when the base is a girl haha :)

This might not work considering Im just thinking this up but why dont you get a pretty heavy medicine ball. Practice throwing it up and catching it the way you would a flyer. That way you can practice the throwing up and settling the weight. Obviously it wont be similar in any way but this will at least work the same muscles.

what conditioning is best to base a toss to hands? any drills? especially when the base is a girl haha :)

I used to teach coed stunt privates at my last gym. The way my partner and I (teaching partner, not stunt partner, because I can't fly lmao) used to start off teaching toss hands was with a toss drill. Basically, like you're doing toss hands, except not catching the feet and just re-grabbing the flyer's waist like a pop down.

That gets you used to the toss, how much to use legs and flick wrists to get good height, etc.... and your flyer also gets the practice with flicking, jumping, staying tight, toes down, shoulders back, etc. If you're not able to toss her above eye-level, you're not going to be able to catch it in hands. Good luck, don't hurt yourself:)

I used to teach coed stunt privates at my last gym. The way my partner and I (teaching partner, not stunt partner, because I can't fly lmao) used to start off teaching toss hands was with a toss drill. Basically, like you're doing toss hands, except not catching the feet and just re-grabbing the flyer's waist like a pop down.

That gets you used to the toss, how much to use legs and flick wrists to get good height, etc.... and your flyer also gets the practice with flicking, jumping, staying tight, toes down, shoulders back, etc. If you're not able to toss her above eye-level, you're not going to be able to catch it in hands. Good luck, don't hurt yourself:)

This definetly works! Also have them do it to bigger girls. If they throw bigger girls first, then it will be easy to throw the little ones. Practice makes perfect, and the more they throw and get used to the toss and flick technique, the easier it will get!

^That's not necessarily true. People tend to cut corners when throwing bigger girls. They'll just do whatever it takes to get the girl up, which is bad for your technique. Just keep doing toss drills and really focus on technique, especially if the base is a girl.

Back