Transition To College Cheer Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 15, 2015
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding how to prepare for the transition from tumbling on a spring floor to tumbling on a dead mat?

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding how to prepare for the transition from tumbling on a spring floor to tumbling on a dead mat?
Tumble quick, and be sure to always be lifting into and out of your passes. Avoid landing heavy and just punching the springs to get height.

And please, please, be clean. Bad technique is harder to work through on dead floor than on spring floor, as there are no springs to pick up your slack.

My best advice would be to start practicing ASAP...I took a couple privates like 2 weeks before college tryouts lol it was rough. All of you sophomores/juniors/seniors reading this, start practicing now!

Start with back handsprings and rebounds. Get used to the fact that your rebound likely will not be as high as it is on springs, but learn how to use your speed and muscles to your advantage. After that, you can move into actual skills after the rebound. I feel like my hardest obstacle was having the confidence to flip when my rebound wasn't sky-high like I was used to with springs. Good technique and speed will get you the power you need!

My best advice would be to start practicing ASAP...I took a couple privates like 2 weeks before college tryouts lol it was rough. All of you sophomores/juniors/seniors reading this, start practicing now!

Start with back handsprings and rebounds. Get used to the fact that your rebound likely will not be as high as it is on springs, but learn how to use your speed and muscles to your advantage. After that, you can move into actual skills after the rebound. I feel like my hardest obstacle was having the confidence to flip when my rebound wasn't sky-high like I was used to with springs. Good technique and speed will get you the power you need!
Great feedback!! Thank you

Thank you!!

Back