All-Star True Coed

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

LeahofthePack

I recognize any state in a crowd
May 27, 2011
What are your opinions on coed teams that don't have actual coed stunting, with all the stunts being done regular stunts pods. I feel like if you are a senior 4 or up team, you should atleast have your guys doing a toss to hands. Thoughts?

I don't have a "must-do" stunt that I think a coed team should have, but I can say the until relatively recently, 2-man coed stunting wasn't a necessity in All Star. It is now though, and I think some teams better beef their bases up to stay relevant, but it's defintely going to take some time to get them there.

I don't have a "must-do" stunt that I think a coed team should have, but I can say the until relatively recently, 2-man coed stunting wasn't a necessity in All Star. It is now though, and I think some teams better beef their bases up to stay relevant, but it's defintely going to take some time to get them there.
Agree with that. I feel that teams that do have 2 man coed stunts (couldn't think of how to word that earlier!) have an extra something that makes them stand out.

Interesting question. I always thought they divided between coed and noncoed when guys were an advantage to a team. Which is why it made sense to me to not divide divisions less than junior or less than level three because a youth age level 2 guy is really not going to be a serious advantage over youth age girls. But, when you're talking about juniors and seniors, I think you pick up tumbling advantages with guys not just stunting, and if they're "regular" stunts, you still might be able to do things in those stunts you wouldn't normally be able to do without more muscle behind it. I think that's especially true for pyramid. If I'm not mistaken the Cali Smoed pyramid with that sick swing through full up transition uses all four of the guys...I wouldn't think four girls would necessarily have as much upper body strength to make that stunt hit like it does (which is ridonkulous by the way....love it!!)

That's the issue I have getting rid of coed in the junior 3 and 4 divisions, I do think a junior level 4 guy is an advantage over junior girls. My son is junior coed 3 right now and he coed stunts in the level 3 routine. It's a walk in press to extension, but his toss to hands will be ready for next season.

So I guess I don't think it's all about the coed stunts, although I think that's a big advantage I also think you can rack up score sheet points with tumbling passes as well as some of the things you "can" build with stronger bases whether they're single based or not.

What are your opinions on coed teams that don't have actual coed stunting, with all the stunts being done regular stunts pods. I feel like if you are a senior 4 or up team, you should atleast have your guys doing a toss to hands. Thoughts?

I think that with the restrictions on tumbling imposed by the USASF that coed stunting is going to come to the forefront as teams look for ways to differentiate themselves. I wouldn't be suprised to start seeing "true coed" stunting popping up in the lower/younger levels.

The only concern I have with this, and I guess it is kind of trivial, but I think about the younger boys who pick up tumbling rather fast. They tend to get put on teams that are above their age bracket due to this, and I wonder how that will affect them...

We have a huge advantage in our gym in that both of the guys who are on my S3/S4 Co-Ed teams can toss hands to press stretch. With their strength from being strong tumblers, it was relatively easy for them to learn with the correct coaching. It only took two practices to get the complete sequence we have and we even use the toss to extensions in our pyramids. I think if the guys are trained right, anything is possible and it's definitely going to differentiate people next year!

I've kind of thought the same. It doesn't really bother me that they do 2-mans, but I just don't think it's going to help the guys, or the girls either, if they're wanting to cheer at a big school like UK or Alabama.

as an FYI, a 2 man stunt is considered coed, just assisted coed.

I hate all girl style "co-ed" stunting. I feel that co-ed stunting is between a man and a woman (ha ha, see me getting all Tea Party there?) Two guys and a girl is not co-ed stunting.
I agree that it isn't the best when looking specifically for co-ed stunting, however it is rewarded still. Granted it isn't as much as unassisted, however, assisted coed stunting will still get points in the coed category.

Personally, I coed stunt in my routine. I'm a part of a coed routine. I feel that coed teams that don't stunt accordingly should be marked down. If your boys aren't strong enough, then two man at least! But I agree with MissBee about the all-girl style. But, if it's the only way you're going to get a coed stunt up, do it. Ha. :)

as an FYI, a 2 man stunt is considered coed, just assisted coed.

Yeah I understand that, I was just saying that I don't see schools like Alabama and UK using that method unless it's in order to save a stunt from falling. And by all star teams doing it that way, it may be harder for them to do coed stunts like those schools (if they want to cheer in college). I'm not an expert on coed stunting, but I just think it'd help them more to do it that way.

The small coed 3 I coached put up six elite stunts with full ups, a couple of unassisted extensions with that, and an unassisted lib. With only two guys. And neither of them main based that elite. (1 did the hands lib though)

coed just means guys and girls mix. i am short and when i cheered i was doing no coed stunts whatever, it was all pod. but what makes it coed is a guy on the team not if he can lift a girl. imo

Back