All-Star "true" Level Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 14, 2011
I've seen this topic come up several times in several threads. What do you consider a "true level x" team? Are all athletes on that team exactly that level? Is that possible? Is it a team that has mostly that level skills and some almost that level? What exactly makes a team a level 2 or 3 or 4 or 5?

Many teams I saw at All-Levels seemed to be topping out at their level...many level 1 and 2 teams made my jaw drop (Pro, CT Spirit, USA Wildcats, Xtreme Cheer)! Even two years ago, when I stopped coaching all-stars, the skills at these levels looked NOTHING like this. I think this is great for teams to be working to max out the level skills by the end of the season. That, to me, is how teams prepare their athletes for the next level. Could many teams I saw probably bump up a level by this point in the season? Sure. But its the END of the season. Yay for them! Tryouts are likely coming up within the next few weeks, and those gyms can probably plan to move most of their athletes up a level. If you were the gym owner, isn't this what you would want?

I can imagine these teams that top-out the level skills are difficult for teams who do not compete against...but does that make the top teams out of level?

My idea of a true-level team is when you see them compete and it is obvious the coaches put the team together with the idea of maxing out the scoresheets, not just putting together the minimum required to make the level. I hate (esp. with the younger teams) to see a 5 person show. I've seen teams where it's like all the focus is on 5 or 6 kids with the required tumbling who are obviously experienced, and the rest are just back-up dancers who are there to base scary looking pyramids.

I hate (esp. with the younger teams) to see a 5 person show.

Completely agreed. Max out ages (if your flyers are bigger, it might just look better and strengthen your bases - amazing idea!) and max out scoresheets. Gyms - create smaller teams if you need to. If you have some level 1 in an age group and some level 3, create a 1 and a 3, not just a 3. Not sure why gyms do this, but I've seen a lot. Maybe a coach/owner can explain.

Mamarazzi said:
Completely agreed. Max out ages (if your flyers are bigger, it might just look better and strengthen your bases - amazing idea!) and max out scoresheets. Gyms - create smaller teams if you need to. If you have some level 1 in an age group and some level 3, create a 1 and a 3, not just a 3. Not sure why gyms do this, but I've seen a lot. Maybe a coach/owner can explain.

I agree! The only problem is small gyms with 8 level 1 kids and 3 level 2 kids don't have as many options. Can't compete with less than 5. And even if the 5 you have are on level you probably aren't going to win against a team of 20 (although I did see a very very small youth 1 win overall US finals last year). The magic mix of kids on a team takes a lot of "stategery" lol!

Oh, I have to add that the above post only applies, IMO, to teams that are not completely stacked. Sometimes (again, younger kids) it is WAY obvious that the mini 2 you are watching is half full of kids that are also on youth 4. I'm a huge advocate of having athletes register as a level each year and allowing them to compete one level higher than registered if needed, but not lower. Just sayin...

I wish there would be a crossover rule where you could only crossover to one other team. And the 2 teams you are on could only be a level apart. So you could be on a level 2 and a level 3 but not a level 2 and a level 4. And as far as leveling your teams properly, we try our absolute best at our gym, but because we only have 120 kids opposed to 300+ at larger gyms, it is tough to completely max out all teams. For example, last year we tried to do a sr 1 and a sr 2. We lost some kids in the summer and ended up with like 14 on sr 2 and like 11 on sr 1...so we just combined to make a large sr 2. Same with our Youth and mini level 1 kids. We had to combine them so we had a Youth 1 team with 7 minis and 4 Youth kids. But it was either that or put 4 kids that have never really cheered before on a maxed out Youth level 2 team where each kid had a backwalkover BHS, r/o 2 BHS, and had at least a year of stunting experience. I like having a small gym but it does make it hard when trying to create teams.

Back