Trying To Get Back To Cheering?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 6, 2014
Hello! I'm not completely new to this board, but it's been years since I've cheered and I've rediscovered this. Anyway, I did a half year team and my school team when I was in high school years ago. I was planning on doing an all star 4.2 team but I got hurt the next summer and injured my left hip and thigh, ended up having joint problems too. Long story short, it took me about a year to recover. I wanted to get back into cheering right away, but I had to leave to go away for college and didn't have the skills for the university team.

There's now an open team in my area and I would LOVE the chance to get back into cheer. I'm just worried about if I'm too old and have lost too many of my skills since it's been so long. I was never that great at tumbling (I was supposed to start taking classes around the time I got hurt too) and I probably would have sloppy basic skills if asked to do them right now. I also lost a lot of flexibility when I was injured. Like I said I would love to be cheering again in some way, but I don't want to be a detriment to a team/gym while I get back into the swing of things.

I'm in my 20s now and I've wanted to get back into this since high school, but I've had lots of blocks with my injury and also was busy with school, so things never worked out. Does anyone have any advice of what I could do to get restarted or what I could ask for from the gym that's nearby?

Ask if they have open gyms you could attend and begin working towards regaining skills you need.

*My signatures were kidnapped but have been safely returned*

If it's a new Open team, I can almost guarantee that they'd love to have you. I'd guess the majority won't have strong tumbling either, so it's something you can work on with everyone else. Got to open gyms and pop into a practice to try it out. I could be wrong about the skill level, but new Open teams generally start this way.

Back