High School Tryout Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 28, 2012
I'm planning on trying out for my high school cheerleading team, and it will be my sophmore year of high school. I tried out this last year, and didn't make it because i was nervous to throw my BHS, and they didn't want that since they also do competitions. They also only had 3 spots for team with 6 girls trying out. So this year I went to an allstar gym and can now throw my bhs, and tuck both standing and running and my layout running. I've been taking a flexibility class to help with jumps, and possibly flying since I am a bit on the small side, but not stubborn on where I would like to be in the stunt. If you have any advice to give that would help me with this tryout it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

First of all - congrats to you for putting in the time and dedication to make yourself a better all-around athlete. Most people can't say they have the heart and commitment to do that.

Second, while all of that is important, so is how you "show off" during a tryout. Your voice needs to be projected, you need to smile, have confidence and most of all - have fun!!! I have judged countless high school tryouts and while it's great to have the gymnastics skills, I hate a boring tryout. One of my "wow factors" is the jump sections. If you have a great toe-touch or hurdler and you can give me great arm placement and a snapped landing - you get the points! Just sell yourself and be confident!! Good luck!!!

Congratulations, that's a lot of work in one year!

And I agree with Mandi Spina. Show off your personality and make sure to have a good attitude, which it sounds like you do. Stunt groups can change around a lot so I would always be prepared to fly! Keep stretching even if your coaches don't make you a flyer right away. They'll take notice that you've worked hard and really want to be on the team, but most importantly be clean, smile, and have fun!

Back