All-Star Tryout Procedures And Summer Practices.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have an open tryout the first weekend in May. We seperate them by age and teach them a short dance and they demo tumbling and jumps. We check off what skills they have and seperate them into teams later. If they don't have the skills needed, we offer a spot in a rec class to work for next year. I imagine as we grow, we will decide team placements with our returners beforehand--but we won't release those teams until after we hold the open tryout for newcomers and have determined the exact rosters

We work all summer with one practice and one tumbling class a week. 3 absences allowed (more details on that tho). July is choreography month so plan for it bc it's mandatory. Our teams are cut off once the choreography has been learned. We will only accept replacements/fill ins for injuries /illnesses after choreography camps.

You come and register and get your tryout number and all that fun stuff, then on the same day there's a huge "clinic" with like 30 kids to one or two coaches where they teach you the tryout dance; you come back anywhere between 2-4 days after that (a certain day/ time for each age and skill level) and preform the dance, tumbling, and jumps for the coaches, then you get a callback for whichever team you make, and we have a two week "evaluation" period to see the how teams work together and make any final adjustments. And this season we had a flyer's clinic thing like a week before so they could evaluate any new flyers.
But I'm pretty sure we're doing things differently this year.. O:
(this is wc by the way haha)

Tryouts at ftw are the same as coachtsu's. Summer practices are intense! April skill building is our gyms official name or whatever for April. Summer is just conditioning and skill building. We'll seriously condition 2xs longer than we practice, but we all know it pays off when august comes around;)

Well the way my gym does it is that on day one we have a few mandatory "open gym" kind of things and based on your ability is whatplaces you in the several open gyms throughout the day. These open gyms are where you can show off for tthe coaches, have them sot you and all. Just to let the coaches get a feel for you. At the end of that day we'd learn a short dance and receive a number. Then on day two, you and a few others who have numbers around your number (32-39) will go in and do your hardest running tumbling pass, hardest standing tumbling, jump series andthe dance learned the day before. About a week later rosters come out.

:eek: I could NEVER sit at school for 8 hours!! What are the hours of their school? and what grades?!

I am not sure about each individual school of the kids I coach now... but when I was in high school, I had homeroom at 7:05am and got dismissed at 2:45pm. It was a 7.5 hour day. We had 5 class periods a day, 80 minutes each (Gym for 80 minutes was awesome, AP Calculus- not so much). One of those periods was a 40 min lunch and a 40 minute study (which for me meant a 40 minutes of singing and playing music with my friends in the auditorium lol) No one was allowed to leave school for lunch, but we did pretty regularly. That 7:05am homeroom just about killed me. I totaled somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 lates to homeroom in my 4 years there lol. I organized a petition to the board of ed saying it was against biology to make teenagers wake up that early and our test scores would improve by letting us come in an hour later. They ended up changing it to 7:15- great thanks lol.... ahhh NJ public school:)

7 hour days. They get out this year on June 6th and go back August 1st!

That's an interesting setup. Do you know the number of school days they have to have in a year? That doesn't seem to be any less than ours, because you end early and you start early. I think ours is 180, so if you end up having to go over on your snow days, it takes away from spring break or gets added onto the end of the year.

Well the way my gym does it is that on day one we have a few mandatory "open gym" kind of things and based on your ability is whatplaces you in the several open gyms throughout the day. These open gyms are where you can show off for tthe coaches, have them sot you and all. Just to let the coaches get a feel for you. At the end of that day we'd learn a short dance and receive a number. Then on day two, you and a few others who have numbers around your number (32-39) will go in and do your hardest running tumbling pass, hardest standing tumbling, jump series andthe dance learned the day before. About a week later rosters come out.

well this is basically it except for our gym you choose which clinic you go to based on your age & tumbling.. ex. 14 & under non tumbling = group 1, level 2 tumbling & 14 & up non tumbling = group 2 then level 3 & up tumblers = group 3 & it's only 1 day of learning the material (3/4 8 count dance). day 2 they took 4 at a time & first was jumps, then standing tumbling, running tumbling, then dance. rosters did come out a week later but the final ones weren't set until middle of summer because of changes (crossovers, people leaving/joining, etc.)

The worst part of summer practice is the lack of attendance! :rolleyes:

So many people take off and then come back when summer is over and school gets back in session. It really sucks because then it feels like the team has to back track to make up for the slackers :p!!! Not really but its too bad the team would be sooo much stronger if they didn't take that long off.

Back