High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Schools and districts should have a choice. Your traditional sideline cheer can stay the way it is and still compete as we have it now, UCA, USA, NCA etc. You just aren't under the sport. The sport is an entirely new sport created for spring season and is Stunt. You can have them together, but you do not have to. It is school choice, so if you have a good relationship with admin and athletic director you can leave your program as is and hire someone new to do the CIF Stunt Sport in the spring. Or you can choose not to participate all together. I know some schools aren't giving their coaches any choice and don't really understand what has been put into place. I am hoping that Admin will take the time to listen and understand what has happened. CIF Created something brand new, therefor it should be an added sport, not in place of cheerleading as we now have it. If you read the bill and language from CIF this is what happened. Sideline cheerleading and competition through Varsity brand companies is not considered a sport. Hope this helps.
We opted out of being "a sport"... the other schools in our district got all excited about what they "thought" being a sport would get them: "free mats", "free uniforms", "new coaching budget"... but we all sat down and I explained to them that that was NOT the case... (as you are probably experiencing now)... once they figured out what it REALlY was- they were like -NOPE. So we ALL stayed "Traditional" - THANK GOD!

We opted out of being "a sport"... the other schools in our district got all excited about what they "thought" being a sport would get them: "free mats", "free uniforms", "new coaching budget"... but we all sat down and I explained to them that that was NOT the case... (as you are probably experiencing now)... once they figured out what it REALlY was- they were like -NOPE. So we ALL stayed "Traditional" - THANK GOD!
Could you explain in further detail? I thought sport status was supposed to grant those things.

The way around that, in KY at least, is to have open gyms all summer. All summer long, anyone who wants to attend may do so. You can't make camp mandatory, but it can be an understood.

Open gyms at AS or gymnastics facilities in VA are the same in summer since we start so late. Our girls basically live in the gym now that we have one that's actually in the county lines and 15 minutes from the school. Each of the big gyms is frequented by certain HSs, so you do scope out the competition. Our coach may drop by the gym or one of our alumni who works at the gym will work that night and report back.

We try to get everyone to camp, but it isn't really financially feasible for everyone, when I was an athlete we'd go to camp with mix match groups. Fundraising helps but for many it isn't enough. They did sleep away camp this year and luckily many girls were able to go because it was announced early---like March.

I have no problem with sideline, STUNT and comp cheer being different things. That's all fine, well and good. Here are where we have issues-last year we had a sideline team and then our best kids from sideline did comp.

If we did this again, my sideline team would NOT be a sport. They are telling districts and athletic directors this is now an after school activity or even better, a CLUB. Why does this matter? Well, clubs don't have coaches. Members can join at any point during the year. You can't make cuts, or check grades. Clubs are usually advised by a teacher.

So make them all compete! Perfect. Oh wait... We have to follow CIF rules. I can't have try outs for incoming freshman until they have graduated, so June. Which means I can't order camp clothes, uniforms, or pay for camp for them since it's in July. We would have no time to get these items or fundraise to pay for them.

I've been reading non-stop since this all started, and all I can say is it's a mess. There are just so many people that have NO idea what cheer is that are making decisions... It's blowing my mind. Cheer is not the same as all the other sports, and trying to put it in that pretty box doesn't work.
Also, your "club" can have Bylaws that limit participation at a specific level- I.e.- debate club has tryouts for the best of those in the club to compete in debates... many refer to their Pep organizations as "Spirit/Pep " clubs -open to all... then those who do not make the "cut" to compete or perform are still considered "spirit ambassadors"... it's also the same principal as voting on president of a club and choosing officers/roles... etc

Could you explain in further detail? I thought sport status was supposed to grant those things.
No, a mat is not deemed a "necessary" surface for skills- therefore the athletic department is not obligated to provide it. Because rubberized track and grass are deemed suitable to practice/perform on. Uniforms are provided however only at a limited budget through athletics, so if they deem 2,000 is all you can spend for 35 kids for 2 years- that's it.

No, a mat is not deemed a "necessary" surface for skills- therefore the athletic department is not obligated to provide it. Because rubberized track and grass are deemed suitable to practice/perform on. Uniforms are provided however only at a limited budget through athletics, so if they deem 2,000 is all you can spend for 35 kids for 2 years- that's it.

I'd kill for 2k every other year.....

We get 1500 every 5 years right now.

Also, your "club" can have Bylaws that limit participation at a specific level- I.e.- debate club has tryouts for the best of those in the club to compete in debates... many refer to their Pep organizations as "Spirit/Pep " clubs -open to all... then those who do not make the "cut" to compete or perform are still considered "spirit ambassadors"... it's also the same principal as voting on president of a club and choosing officers/roles... etc
This is how it's handled here. We have a "spirit club" anyone can be a part of, but to perform as a cheerleader you must try out.

Thankful to live in KY. UK, U of L, Morehead State, WKU, etc.....

The success of collegiate programs in the state, along with the sheer number of teams from KY that attend NHSCC keeps the KHSAA at bay most of the time.

I'm thinking that the powers that be don't let that happen... If it's a winter sport you can't talk to the girls before the season (November) which means no camp. That's a big hit for the companies charging $500/kid for camps around here...
It's a club in fall and then a sport in winter now for us. Tryouts are in August and our school does not have a separate sideline and competition team; if you make it, you typically do both. There is now a second tryouts in November for the winter season and while everyone needs to tryout it's unusual to get someone new at that point. My cp didn't try out freshman year (tryouts at that point were in June still) and immediately regretted not doing so. That was the year they changed the rules and she was able to tryout in November and made varsity. This past season mine knew that she since she changed all star gyms she would not be able to compete with school and therefore only did sideline in the fall. But because it's considered two separate seasons, she is allowed to do that.

And don't forget Varsity's new rule, that you have to partipate in a camp in order to be even eligible for a UCA bid.

I'm going to be honest.

As I read all of the different ways these things are being rolled out throughout this thread, I am curious how much of this is overreaction to misinterpretations of state "rules."

What I mean is: it seems multiple people have said they can't "talk" to kids until such and such month. What if you have them in class? Or what if they go to your church?

Some thoughts for you on the topic, because dealing with the state athletic association is new to some of you:

1. Athletic directors come in all different shapes and sizes. Some of them WANT to be an athletic director and they're great. Some of them WANT to be a principal, and AD is a good stepping stone for them. Some of them WERE a coach, and still want to be involved in athletics, but see being AD as a way to stay involved without having to be hands on with athletes. Never, ever just accept an answer from your athletic director as "the law." If you ask the AD, and they give you an answer that doesn't make good sense to you, or just seems to far fetched as to be unreal, or they stutter and cough when they give the answer, seek out an answer on your own. Don't just open rules and read them, seek out an interpretation from someone who really knows. There is someone at your athletic association headquarters who has the responsibility of overseeing cheerleading. Email them directly.

2. Realize that not all state rules may apply to cheer even if they apply to other sports. In Kentucky we have rules that apply differently to different sports within the same season. For example, football starts a week earlier in the summer than all other fall sports for no reason other than to allow the players a week to acclimate to the heat prior to the date when they can go full pads. I approached my AD, a good one, today with a question about transfers, and we found out the most abused bylaw in our state doesn't even apply to cheer.

3. There may be an advisory committee for cheerleading. If it's really a mess. Volunteer to be on the committee and attempt to illicit change. It may be slow-going, but it can be done. You can sometimes accomplish the same thing with a well-written email. After two consecutive years of receiving emails from me with evidence that the system of judging in our state needed to change, it changed. Offer an actual solution as opposed to just a complaint. When our system of judging changed, it didn't just randomly change, it changed to almost exactly what I had recommended.

It can be done.

Some states are VERY strict about how and when coaches can have contact with kids, and if you are caught violating that it risks both your job and your team's eligibility. I have seen it cost kids their eligibility, and teams post season play in other sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be honest.

As I read all of the different ways these things are being rolled out throughout this thread, I am curious how much of this is overreaction to misinterpretations of state "rules."

What I mean is: it seems multiple people have said they can't "talk" to kids until such and such month. What if you have them in class? Or what if they go to your church?

Some thoughts for you on the topic, because dealing with the state athletic association is new to some of you:

1. Athletic directors come in all different shapes and sizes. Some of them WANT to be an athletic director and they're great. Some of them WANT to be a principal, and AD is a good stepping stone for them. Some of them WERE a coach, and still want to be involved in athletics, but see being AD as a way to stay involved without having to be hands on with athletes. Never, ever just accept an answer from your athletic director as "the law." If you ask the AD, and they give you an answer that doesn't make good sense to you, or just seems to far fetched as to be unreal, or they stutter and cough when they give the answer, seek out an answer on your own. Don't just open rules and read them, seek out an interpretation from someone who really knows. There is someone at your athletic association headquarters who has the responsibility of overseeing cheerleading. Email them directly.

2. Realize that not all state rules may apply to cheer even if they apply to other sports. In Kentucky we have rules that apply differently to different sports within the same season. For example, football starts a week earlier in the summer than all other fall sports for no reason other than to allow the players a week to acclimate to the heat prior to the date when they can go full pads. I approached my AD, a good one, today with a question about transfers, and we found out the most abused bylaw in our state doesn't even apply to cheer.

3. There may be an advisory committee for cheerleading. If it's really a mess. Volunteer to be on the committee and attempt to illicit change. It may be slow-going, but it can be done. You can sometimes accomplish the same thing with a well-written email. After two consecutive years of receiving emails from me with evidence that the system of judging in our state needed to change, it changed. Offer an actual solution as opposed to just a complaint. When our system of judging changed, it didn't just randomly change, it changed to almost exactly what I had recommended.

It can be done.

For us the 'red' period of no contact is in the summer. Our coach isn't a teacher either, although I'm sure it is only about cheer stuff so academia is okay.

Yes to everything you said! AD's really set the tone. I ADORE ours. I've known her for years, and our head Coach has known her for years, in fact our AD hand picked her to coach so we could have a fighting chance at competing. She really let's each coach, coach, but may make a call on making sure everyone is eligible to play. But like you said, it's all about the coach's knowledge of the rule. Our head coach is active, knows the higher ups in the region and the other coaches. She doesn't just sit in meetings but actually makes her voice known. We don't burden our AD with the cheer politics, it's really up to our coaches to know what's going on.

Back