All-Star Tryouts And Financial Agreements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ours last year was $10 but $5 if you paid and signed up in advance. I think at our old gym (years ago, 2008 season I believe) it was $25 or so.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I wonder if different prices reflect the length of the process. CP's gym charges between 75 and 90$ but it lasts nearly 3 weeks so less than a month's tuition.

Absolutely. I do not disagree with that. But as a parent I have also done my homework before tryouts. I have gone to observe practices. I have spoken with the coaches at potential gym. If possible, cp has taken part in a tumbling class so she can get a feel for the place. Before tryouts. I don't think as a parent or athlete you can get a true feel for a place based solely on tryouts.
A gym is a business. They should want to put together the best teams possible based on who tries out. If Susie is trying out at 5 gyms and will only go to the highest level offered to her, I have no problem with gym owners charging her (and everyone else) a tryout fee. Especially since it has been mentioned that that fee is then rolled over as "athlete registration" or part of tuition in more than one post.

You can do all the homework you want but you don't know how your child fits into the scheme of this gym until you try out. I don't see anything wrong with choosing not to ultimately sign up for a gym because you or your cheerleader didn't think that you were put on the right team. I am not talking about Suzie's mom who thinks her daughter is a level 5 cheerleader when in reality she is a level three flyer with a janky standing tuck. I am talking about a true level 5 cheerleader, let's say she's a 13 year old flyer and your gyms level 5 team already has older experienced flyers in place so you put her on a sr level 3 team because thats the next highest team needing a flyer....expecting her to wait until you need her for your level 5 team is kind of silly when a comparable gym down the street decides to place her on their Level 5 Worlds team because they really need a flyer.

A parent or an athlete won't really know that until they try out and are placed on a team. As a parent I am my child's best advocate. If it feels wrong we shouldn't have to commit. Answering questions like: What does the rest of the team look like...are those athletes appropriately placed...are coaching styles going to work with my kid...are the kids on the team slanted young or old or a mix and how does that mesh with my child. I could go on and on...but I really don't think there is anything wrong with looking at another gym because they don't have a spot for your child on a team that feels right.

At my CP's old gym, it was $150 per cheerleader to try out. I justified it because it has to be quite time consuming to try to place 350 kids on 13 different squads. It was a bit of a sting to my wallet because I knew that her placement was quite simple...youth level 1.

Lucky for us, there are no tryouts at our new gym, so no fees. They will be lucky to get 25 girls who want to cheer for them.
That is absolutely crazy!
Yes, it will take a few days to run the Tryouts and a day or so the configure the teams but that gym in raking in over $50,000 for that tryout! That's their single most profitable week of the year.

It's also extremely greedy in my opinion.

Now that I think about it, we did have to pay a lot for high school cheer, but it was an "athletic fee" and it was require all of the athletes (even basketball and football) to have to pay it before trying out for any team. It was $75 in middle school & junior high and $120 in high school.

As for someone that deals with contracts, I suggest you mark through the provisions you don't agree with, initial them and get someone at the gym to initial as well and make sure you get their name.
Make the agreement in your favor. Unless it's taxes, nearly everything is negotiable.
Let them know what you think of this. If the gym gets enough backlash, they may be more apt to change.

I posed this question elsewhere and wonder if your child will be able to tryout if you mark through the items you don't agree with. Has anyone ever done this and were they allowed to tryout?

I posed this question elsewhere and wonder if your child will be able to tryout if you mark through the items you don't agree with. Has anyone ever done this and were they allowed to tryout?

I'd be surprised if they DID allow it.

Assuming that they actually LOOK at the contracts and don't just assume it's been signed.

Ex:

I work for a school district.

When I got offered a job, I signed a contract. The contract makes your hire official.

If I'd turned it in with things marked out that I didn't agree with, they probably would have shown me the door. Because there were likely 5-10 other prospectives who didn't get the job who'd be willing to take it, and take the full terms of the contract as well.

I'd be surprised if they DID allow it.

Assuming that they actually LOOK at the contracts and don't just assume it's been signed.

Ex:

I work for a school district.

When I got offered a job, I signed a contract. The contract makes your hire official.

If I'd turned it in with things marked out that I didn't agree with, they probably would have shown me the door. Because there were likely 5-10 other prospectives who didn't get the job who'd be willing to take it, and take the full terms of the contract as well.
Well BRAVO to the Gym that can turn away 5 or 10 paying athletes and let us assume that half are true level 5 cheerleaders including 2 guys with standing full's and stunting ability for miles and maybe a future Maddie Gardner in a 5 year olds body. Kudos to the gym that is so secure they can do that with out blinking an eye. Umm...tell me which gym that is?

You can do all the homework you want but you don't know how your child fits into the scheme of this gym until you try out. I don't see anything wrong with choosing not to ultimately sign up for a gym because you or your cheerleader didn't think that you were put on the right team. I am not talking about Suzie's mom who thinks her daughter is a level 5 cheerleader when in reality she is a level three flyer with a janky standing tuck. I am talking about a true level 5 cheerleader, let's say she's a 13 year old flyer and your gyms level 5 team already has older experienced flyers in place so you put her on a sr level 3 team because thats the next highest team needing a flyer....expecting her to wait until you need her for your level 5 team is kind of silly when a comparable gym down the street decides to place her on their Level 5 Worlds team because they really need a flyer.

A parent or an athlete won't really know that until they try out and are placed on a team. As a parent I am my child's best advocate. If it feels wrong we shouldn't have to commit. Answering questions like: What does the rest of the team look like...are those athletes appropriately placed...are coaching styles going to work with my kid...are the kids on the team slanted young or old or a mix and how does that mesh with my child. I could go on and on...but I really don't think there is anything wrong with looking at another gym because they don't have a spot for your child on a team that feels right.
I am not disagreeing with you on any of the points you made. You should be an advocate for your child. Cheer is a very expensive, very time consuming committment and you and cp should be happy with your cp's placement. What I meant about doing your homework before tryouts is at least gathering the basic info before going into tryouts, and observing actual practices to get a vibe for the overall gym. And yes, sometimes you do all that and still there are things brewing that you have no knowledge of and the gym you brought your cp to based on your observations falls to pieces that season. But at least have some idea of what you think you are getting into.
That being said, I have no problem with a gym charging a tryout fee. Nothing exorbitant (I mentioned cp's gym's fee is $40), but enough to compenate the gym's time for placing kids on teams that have no intention of staying. Especially if I know that fee is going to roll over into something I would have had to pay anyway. A tryout fee is not a committment on your part.

I agree with a tryout fee for new prospects. I look at tryouts as an evening of instruction and experience. IMO, it should be charged as so , with fees being similar to an open gym cost or tumble session.

If the gym is charging a ton for returning cheerleaders, especially if they are already paying for unlimited tumble or privates, then they are taking advantage of the students. CP's gym does it on a tiered basis, which I think is fair, we pay less than a potential new student.

Our's is $50 for 1 athlete. $75 is the family rate. Plus May tuition. When you commit to the team it's applied to insurance costs.

I'm mind blown too. Like i said... $5 here.

I didn't even know this was a thing until this thread. I've never heard of such foolery. I've paid a fee, but the most was $25. I think 50 and under I'd be ok - I mean I understand that people have to earn a living and get paid for their work, and I know tryouts are a lengthy ordeal. But wow on some of these.

You're a customer. This would be like walking onto the car lot:

Sales guy: "Our cars are $600 per month. Sign here."
You: "Um... can I drive one? Or at least sit in it? Look at it?"
Them: "Of course! As soon as you sign this contract and make your first payment"

No.

My CPs old gym startd with those silly contracts before we left. It had to be signed within the first week or so of practice. It was so hectic, I just signed someone else's name, They never even noticed. Had we left, and things had gone to court, they would have a document signed "Jane Smith" , not sure that would have helped them much.

Back