Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 9, 2014
I've done all star cheer and have competed at worlds, and I'm not nervous about the huge crowds, and am always super confident. I have college tryouts in like a month and I know when it comes to stunting and tumbling I'll be fine because they require level 2/3 skills for both, but when it comes to the cheering/spirit part of it, i am terrified. I did hs for 3 years and when I am alone doing a cheer I am just so shy because speaking in front of people is like terrifying to me. Also I'm not good at all the sideline "pep" stuff. I'm really nervous about going in their and not knowing what to do because when I don't know anyone I am super shy, and I'm not really sure what their team is like... Oh and one more thing is picking stunt groups. I know a lot of schools make you pick your own and I am like super anxious about that.

If anyone has any advice or encouraging words please help out! thank you :)

Game day skills are a big deal, particularly with teams who are game day focused. Tryouts have been made and lost over game day skills.

Some starting points:

Youtube your potential team. Especially any game day videos. Look at their style. Are they clean? Flashy? Stunting heavy? Using lot of tumbling to engage the crowd? If you can go to games, go.

Make friends with girls yo know who are trying out. Have them help you to improve. Veterans can be a great resource,

PRACTICE IT. Cheer in front of your friends. Mom. Dad. Dog.

Videotape yourself. Watch it. Look at your motions. Listen to your prrojection. Are you hitting motions clean? Are you yelling from your diaphragm? Do you have a habit of "singing" the words rather than saying them? Those are things to look for.

Watch how they "rally/spirit." If you cheered sideline at any point, know that the way you spirited in 8th grade is NOT how a college team does it.

Have your coaches review your tape and tell you what you can work on.

Take privates. I have done privates specifically for game day presence/cheer skills.

Game day skills are a big deal, particularly with teams who are game day focused. Tryouts have been made and lost over game day skills.

Some starting points:

Youtube your potential team. Especially any game day videos. Look at their style. Are they clean? Flashy? Stunting heavy? Using lot of tumbling to engage the crowd? If you can go to games, go.

Make friends with girls yo know who are trying out. Have them help you to improve. Veterans can be a great resource,

PRACTICE IT. Cheer in front of your friends. Mom. Dad. Dog.

Videotape yourself. Watch it. Look at your motions. Listen to your prrojection. Are you hitting motions clean? Are you yelling from your diaphragm? Do you have a habit of "singing" the words rather than saying them? Those are things to look for.

Watch how they "rally/spirit." If you cheered sideline at any point, know that the way you spirited in 8th grade is NOT how a college team does it.

Have your coaches review your tape and tell you what you can work on.

Take privates. I have done privates specifically for game day presence/cheer skills.

what's frustrating is that I cannot find ANYTHING on this team. I found one video from a long time ago, and so I don't know anything about them :( and I don't know anyone that's trying out either. but all the other tips are awesome. thank you so much :)

Serious question: How did you decide to tryout there, not knowing anything about them?

Knowledge of the program is really key to being successful!

Serious question: How did you decide to tryout there, not knowing anything about them?

Knowledge of the program is really key to being successful!

well my sister went there and told me they had a team, then I applied, got accepted emailed the coach because it's impossible to find info, and she gave me general info (dates, required skills) and I also talked to my current coach about what kind of cheer they do (sideline, competitive) but that's as far as it has gone. and trust me I have searched and searched for at least a total of ten hours on different days, and have had people help me but even the college website has information from last year, and their facebook/twitter hasn't been updated since like 2010

Sidebar: One of my biggest pet peeves is OUTDATED information on websites, especially cheer programs. The average person is not going to spend 10 hours searching out really basic info. It's not good for a program.

Ex: If I'm looking for something, like a hair salon, I need cost for a cut, hours, location and how to make an appointment.

If I google "Salons in ____ town," click on a salon site, and can't find that info in like 30 seconds, I'm moving on and that place just lost my potential business.

Sidebar: One of my biggest pet peeves is OUTDATED information on websites, especially cheer programs. The average person is not going to spend 10 hours searching out really basic info. It's not good for a program.

it has been extremely frustrating especially while i try to prepare for tryouts.

I know you said you emailed the coach but if you didn't already, maybe ask him/her whats going to happen at tryouts

Back