Tumbling Classes/ Privates At Another Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 28, 2014
New to this world, and we love our gym and don't want to leave, but it's far from our (new) house. My daughter is wanting to take more and more classes and would love to be in the gym every day, but I'm wondering if it's possible to take just some of those classes at a different (closer) gym. Do gyms have a "we'd rather not train the competition" sort of rule, or are they happy to take the money and train another athlete? Is good technique good technique, or will she get confused between two different approaches? I don't want to irritate our gym and coaches, either. Any input appreciated. Thanks!

New to this world, and we love our gym and don't want to leave, but it's far from our (new) house. My daughter is wanting to take more and more classes and would love to be in the gym every day, but I'm wondering if it's possible to take just some of those classes at a different (closer) gym. Do gyms have a "we'd rather not train the competition" sort of rule, or are they happy to take the money and train another athlete? Is good technique good technique, or will she get confused between two different approaches? I don't want to irritate our gym and coaches, either. Any input appreciated. Thanks!
It's really up to your current gym, I would say talk to the head coach/owner and see how they feel about it and also talk to the other gym owner, I don't think they would have a problem with it because she's getting more hours in the gym and she's working on new skills so I don't see why that would be a problem. But definitely talk to both gym owners to see how they feel.

I probably would not tell my current gym. It is your money and you can do what you want with it. Did you sign anything anything that stated that you could not take your daughter to another gym?

I would never go to another "cheer gym" for tumbling cause of conflicts of interest/emotions - but I think a gymnastics gym is fine. My CP does privates at a gymnastics gym for tumbling (the same one she did gym at for years). They have great equipment and teach good technique.

I think my CP outgrew most non-team tumbling classes in my area years ago, so that's why she does privates. Around me there is just no such thing as a "non-team" kid w/ a layout, but that's my area.

I would never go to another "cheer gym" for tumbling cause of conflicts of interest/emotions - but I think a gymnastics gym is fine. My CP does privates at a gymnastics gym for tumbling (the same one she did gym at for years). They have great equipment and teach good technique.

I think my CP outgrew most non-team tumbling classes in my area years ago, so that's why she does privates. Around me there is just no such thing as a "non-team" kid w/ a layout, but that's my area.

Oh, thank you!! Privates at a gymnastics gym would be perfect. Our old gymnastics gym didn't offer privates, and their classes didn't teach any of the tumbling she was working on in cheer at the time, so I had put gymnastics completely out of my mind. I will look in this new area of ours. Thank you!!

Our gym will allow an athlete from another gym to take privates with our coaches, but only outside the times we have team practices. It prevents any potential " scouting" of routines.

I've known of athletes taking privates or tumbling classes at a closer gym, if the closer gym does not offer the age/level appropriate team for that athlete (for example, athlete is senior aged level 4-5 & small local gym only has a jr level 2) or if the athlete is driving 1+ hours away. Some gyms are friendly towards one another and understand. I'd avoid any gym that is a direct competitor of your gym's teams though or one you run into at competitions often.

talk to your current gym, they may have a recommendation about which local gym will teach you the best or the most inline with their teaching.

We train kids from other gyms all the time. It's a business so it's stupid to turn paying kids away. Coaches just need to be willing to respect the boundaries and vice versa. If another gym's athlete talks to me trying to switch, I always give them the information they ask for but encourage them to finish the season if they can.

We sign a contract stating that we will not train or attend clinics at other gyms with out our director's approval. The way that I understand the rule is that I would be expected to get permission even to things like Debbie Love's or TCLM's clinic.

I would talk to your gym first. Ask for recommendations. I'd go to a gym that does not have all star cheer.

Last year CP took tumble privates at a competitors gym because she LOVED the coach- like would stand on her head for this lady. We were very careful not to wear anything from our all star gym to privates and never talk about what was going on at practice. Funny part was, after showcase one of the other tumble coaches looked at CP and could name which teams she was on because he had come to showcase! So I say, do it, just don't flaunt it.

We tumble at a gymnastics gym because it's closer. Lots of girls from our gym tumble there!

Our gym offers tumbling to anyone that wants help with perfecting their skills. We just pride ourselves not to cross that line in asking children to leave another gym. What area does your child cheer?

Back